Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives

• 27-08-2007 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Two questions:
    1. I am going into third year (final year). Can I choose level one subjects for my electives?
    2. Is it just me, or is Law looking alot harder this year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Your electives have to be at least level 2 in final year as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭FledNanders

I'm in same boat as OP and was wondering the same thing.
    I emailed service desk about it, no reply yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

dajaffa wrote:

Should you be able to register for them? I'm registered for a first year one at the moment that i really want to do. Does this mean i'm allowed to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Where does it say we can't do level 1? Surely they would have told us that? Typical UCD, bet no one will know the answer to that question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Well im registered to do a first year one and i got an email this morning telling me that its oversubscribed. There are 10 places but they've subscribed 12. Quick question, why dont they just close the module when its full?? Even though i was probably among the first to register i might loose my place in something i really want to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Flume wrote:
    Well im registered to do a first year one and i got an email this morning telling me that its oversubscribed. There are 10 places but they've subscribed 12. Quick question, why dont they just close the module when its full?? Even though i was probably among the first to register i might loose my place in something i really want to do!

Well a first come first serve basis would be unfair to those who can't register as soon as registration opens (they might be in work, not have a home computer, etc).
    Also, I think (or at least I hope) that people majoring in a subject get preference over those taking electives.

Well a first come first serve basis would be unfair to those who can't register as soon as registration opens (they might be in work, not have a home computer, etc).
    Also, I think (or at least I hope) that people majoring in a subject get preference over those taking electives.

Yes of course they do.But they have 10 places allocated for elective students.

I disagree, i think it should be first come first served. No matter what your circumstances if its important enough you'll get it done. Or even get someone else to do it for you. Im not being bitter or anything but i think its the only fair way to get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Flume wrote:
    Yes of course they do.But they have 10 places allocated for elective students.

I disagree, i think it should be first come first served. No matter what your circumstances if its important enough you'll get it done. Or even get someone else to do it for you. Im not being bitter or anything but i think its the only fair way to get it done.

I agree. The two elective I choose have 18 places in each and got an e-mail this morning saying one was oversubscribed with 52 people and the other with 22 and the e-mail then went on to say that the places would be allocated at random. As they are both English electives and I am a third & final year arts student majoring in English, that I should therefore get it before some vet student who's just taking it for the craic, especially when I got in there to choose it first thing on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Flume wrote:

But if I am, for example, a student who has to work all summer to afford college and is on the bus to work when registration opens is it really fair to penalise me and give the advantage someone who can afford to get the day off work, or maybe doesn't have to work over the summer at all. I mean, yeah, you could get someone to do it for you if you're lucky but why make out students to the extra hassel when you can let the register in their own time and then select 'winners'.
    Who has the option of registering first can be just as much of a lottery as random selection.
    Back in the days before on-line registration we wrote down out English seminar elective choices of a piece of paper and oversubscribed ones were randomly alloted. It worked fine.
    Nevermind the fact that a first come first served basis could put the system under unnecessary stress as everyone tries to login at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Registration for Science students opened last tuesday. Regestration for arts students opened this monday. If it wre first come first served, then electives that science students wanted to do would fill up before you even got a chance to consider subscribing to it. Is that fair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

Third years can enroll for first year electives, i rang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

dajaffa wrote:

that's not true dajaf, for final year/3rd year students 100 out of their 120 credits in Levels 2 and 3 must be Level 2 or above modules, the remaining 20 credits can be free choice and can include Level 1 modules, but you cannot take more than 10 Level 0 credits. there is a similar arrangment for 4 year courses, maybe it is current 4th year students that can't choose Level 1 electives?

however i do think 1st years have priority in the random allocation of Level 1 electives or something to that effect, may have been an 80:20 ratio in favour of 1st years.... i'll try and find where i saw something like that but i can safely say that current final year students who have been under S&M since day 1 can choose 1st year electives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

To be honest, no system is fair to everyone. At least this gives everyone an even chance, though I'll be seriously pissed if I don't get my oversubscribed elective as I tried to get it last year under the old system and didn't, especially as I got up well early on Monday to register. There's currently 53 going for it, only 50 places offered, and still 6 days to enrol under this elective system.

Everybody has their own opinion but for me first come first served should be implemented.

If i dont get the elective that i've registered for, i take it i have to pick another one?

Also anyone ever do any sports management elecs?

Advertisement