Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveyors - Can anybody recommend one?

Options
  • 27-08-2007 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all, I am a first time buyer and need to have a house surveyed. I don't think it's older than 30 years and is in the North County Dublin area. I was wondering if anybody could recommend a surveyor. Does anybody know anything about homepro.ie? their website looks ok but i don't know how to tell. Any advice would be lovely. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

geta qualified relation, cost less and is faster! professional snaggers are a waist of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ocad

My advice to you is that buying a house is one of the biggest commitments that you are ever going to make, spend the few bob and get a professional survey done, to protect your investment. I have had a few done and never paid more that €350.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 june28

thanks for advice so far. I have been searching on the internet and in the phone book and have been making alot of phone calls asking for quotes. From asking people who have used a surveyor in the past, i figured on spending between 300 and 450. I know several architects who say they can't do it and can't think of anybody to recommend. I don't want something where the price seems too good to be true. However, the quotes i was given ranged from 475 plus vat (21%) to 800+ and i really hadn't planned on spending more than 500. I did find surveyor.ie (can i mention the name, anybody heard of them) and was quoted 380 in total which seems good. too good? i'm not sure. Also, rent in D2 or D4 is alot more than rent in an industrial estate. Would this be reflected in fees In addition, should I decide to go with the less expensive option, i'll post my findings. thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The main deterrent for most surveyors going out on a job is going to be the time it takes to get to the location. If they are nearby or working in the area they can do it a lot easier than someone else.

Also, you might get a better price from someone who is set up to just do surveys, as opposed to dragging a guy who is busy actually getting buildings built away from his day-to-day work.

So I wouldn't knock the surveyor.ie one just because the price is lower. I mean, 380 euros to drive out and knock on a few walls isn't exactly for nothing, at least not in my book.

Another thing is that it's probably an advantage if the surveyor is somewhat familiar with the house, the type of house and the builder. I guess that last part is arguable.

Location is a very small factor in the running of professional services. A big office in the outer 'burbs will cost you more than a small office in D2. And rent is a small factor anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 june28

thanks for all the advice. i've decided to go with surveyor.ie so hopefully i will have a positive experience and all will go well with the survey. i'll post anything of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Hi, no point in starting a whole new thread, so thought I'd piggyback, I'm looking for a surveyor in North Co. Dublin too, was surveyor.ie any good?
    Or does anyone else have a recommendation?
    Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mistermcg

I would recommend surveyor.ie. I received a good service. Look for the guys with affilliation to a professional body such as the CIOB, ABE or SCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Peter Sweeney

Important questions to ask before engaging a professional to survey your property.

1. What exactly does the survey cover?

A typical survey should cover settlement or movement in house foundations, movement or cracks in the houses exterior structural walls, condition of roof timbers, roof coverings including flashings, chimneys and gutters, interior attic space, floors, interior walls and ceilings, stairs, windows, doors, ventilation, dampness, insulation, drainage and an overview of plumbing, electrics and heating systems.
    If you have any particular concerns bring them to the attention of the professional.

2. Is the professional specifically experienced in surveying residential buildings, is it their core business and how many surveys have they completed?

This is probably the most important question to ask. The professional should be able to provide information about their company and should have referrals from previous clients. Related professional experience is helpful, but is no substitute for training and experience in surveying residential properties.

3. How long will the survey take?

The average on-site survey time is one and a half to two hours for a house, anything significantly less may not be enough time to perform a thorough survey.
    Times will vary and are subject to factors like the age of the property, is it old or new, the size of the property and whether there has been significant alterations or extensions carried out.

4. How much will the survey cost?

Prices vary, depending on the location, size, age of the house and the services within the property. A typical range would be €300-€500. The cost of the survey does not necessarily reflect added quality.

5. What type of survey report is provided and how long will it take to receive the report?

Far to many reports are awash with technical terms. It is important that the report is easy to understand by the buyer who in most cases has no technical training. Most professionals will provide a verbal assessment of the property after the survey and a written report within a matter of days.

6. Can I attend the survey?

If you (and your partner) can make time to attend the survey, it is very worthwhile. You will get a greater understanding of the condition of the property. It should also be of benefit if you are considering making any structural alterations or thinking about building an extension. For insurance reasons in particular it is important to let the estate agent know in advance that you will be attending the survey. Most estate agents will not have any issues with the buyer attending the survey as long as they are advised when a survey is scheduled.

7. Is the professional a member of an association whose members are qualified and trained in surveying properties?

8. Is the professional covered by professional indemnity insurance?

Finally, after engaging the professional make sure you read and understand the contents of the report. In particular pay attention to any defects noted in the report and if there are areas of the property or any services that where not examined during the course of the survey.

Problems or concerns mentioned in your professionals report won’t go away and may cost you significant expenditure in the future to remedy.

Your negotiating position disappears after closing, so make sure everything is taken care of before then.

Advertisement