Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Cycle-Computer +Chest strap, pulse intermittant!

Options
  • 27-08-2007 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Overall am happy the unit, cost €20 the week ending 21 July. However the pulse reading stops working quite often. Have others experienced this, it may be normal at this price, or I may have got a dodgy one. Don't want to get my money back but if this unit is dodgy I saw that they still had them in the valuable cabinet at my local, and would exchange it if I could hope for faultless continuous operation..
    thanks

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i got one of those heart monitor/digital watches last week in aldi, its a Run-Tec.
    you can attach it to yr bike.

was reading through the instructions and i'm baffled how to use it:(
    what with the chrono setting and the training setting.

is it supposed to tell u how many calories u burned??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Mine works fine, but it stops when the distance between the transmitter and the computer is ~>60cm (the manual says it should work up until 80cm IIRC).

This could be an issue if you have a particularly erect position on the bike. Try it by assuming your normal position on the bike and then move the transmitter further away until the computer stops indicating the HR. That should allow you to judge if during normal usage the distance is critical.

Some have reported that sweat can leak into the battery compartment of the chest strap. I'd suggest opening the battery compartment and applying some sillicone grease to the rubber ring to prevent this. Make sure that the rubber ring isn't lost and that it is inserted properly before closing the lid again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

What you got then is a watch, i.e. doesn't have bike speed, mileage, avg. speed etc.What I have is a "Bikemate" My one also has a setting for calories.
    Calories= work done.
    Work done= weight x distance x time.

Membrane wrote:
    Mine works fine, but it stops when the distance between the transmitter and the computer is ~>60cm (the manual says it should work up until 80cm IIRC).

Makes me think, even when I go beyond the distance, chest to unit, and loose my pulse reading, it should pick up again when I get within the distance but it doesn't, so it would appear to be faulty.

@Membrane:So your's displays your pulse once you get close to the unit again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

dohouch wrote:
    @Membrane:So your's displays your pulse once you get close to the unit again?

Yes. FWIW with my position on the bike the distance isn't critical, only when I let go of the bars and sit up straight does the unit lose contact occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Have you tried licking the chest strap sensor?

@blorg: it does work when I start and as I work up a bit of sweat, if anything it should work better as I sweat along. Problem is now I'm leaving the country and and won't be able to get to Aldi for another 2 weeks.

I wouldn't mind it not working when I'm upright, to far away from unit, but it just doesn't pick up the signal again when I get closer. Will try and get another one when I get back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 willo1962

If you want to get a consistant reading from the chest monitor you must use a conductive gel, also i found you needed to get the wheel monitor as close to the magnet without touching to get a good signal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think it sounds like his problem was distance between the strap and the receiver unit- wouldn't be helped by conductive gel.

Welcome to the forum willo, hope you'll visit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

blorg wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum willo, hope you'll visit again.

Always room for a scouser on the board (unless its one of those nasty blue versions:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

dohouch wrote: »
    Work done= weight x distance x time.

Not meaning to nit pick, but what's this formula? Or is it just a general idea one...

72oo

Advertisement