Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking E4400

Options
  • 27-08-2007 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi all. I have been overclocking my new PC today and I dont entirely know what I'm at. I have a question or two. I have bumped the FSB from 200 to 266. I have the RAM devider set to 3.00 which sets my memory to 800 MHz. Core temp and TAT show the chip Idle at about 51 Degrees, and under load 80 to 82 Degrees on stock cooling. Easytune 5 temp monitor shows the chip at 60 to 65 degrees under load. Are these themps ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

if i were you i would be worried if my cpu was going over 60c on load.if you want to overclock i would addvice you do get a new cooler.

if your chip is hitting 80c it wont last for long...............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Reset everything in bio back to normal, buy a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120, start again.

Those temps your getting are pretty high.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Ok.. Have put things back. I thought they were high myself but I read somthing about these programs reading the processor with a Tjunction of 100 instead of 85, therefore giving a higher temp than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ur tjunction should be 85 for a dual core i think you - 15 c of ur temps if core temp is saying ur tjunction is 100(quad cores) not shure tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

No matter even if them temps are 15c off 65c is still way to hot under load. I'm hitting 53c under load, and i find it a bit to hot. But then my vcore is 1.55 and ive overclcoked the cpu up to 3.8ghz. I would suggest as above to invest in a new cooler The TR ultra 120 extreme is a great cpu cooler, just make sure you add a fan to it.

• Advertisement

The idle temp of the cpu in the BIOS is 30 to 32 degrees. Can I trust this as TAT and Coretemp says it's 45 Degrees? Also. Which cooler would you recomend for under 50 Euro on Komplett. That cooler seem's a tad expensive on elara.

Just go to www.overclockers.co.uk and get the Tr ultra extreme 120 and a scythe s-flex fan. There is no point skimping on a hsf. Iv'e just secured myself a nice Q6600 an ill be using the TR.

Found an intresting little guide for temps here. sounds like my numbers are quite normal. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-temperature-guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a really bad temp for such a modest overclock. My E6400 overclocked to 2.7Ghz is still more or less 32 idle and under 60 at load with the stock cooler. Maybe you need to reapply some thermal paste, as those temps are not normal for even the stock cooler. Unless the 4400 is noted for its high temperatures, my E2160 runs alot hotter then my 6400, but I don't think so...anyway the point I'm making is you don't necessarily need an aftermarket cooler for smaller overclocks, it's good for maybe up to 800mhz increase keeping good temps, and probably more if you don't mind a slightly higher temp.

Hi Havok. What programs do you use to get your temps? I think the stock cooler that came with my chip has an aluminium core, not a copper one. I am guessing this by looking at it, with online photos you can clearly see the base is made of copper. I assume this is responsable for my poor temps.

Then again the link above sugests that core2duo chips Idle at 30 degrees in the BIOS and 45 degrees in both cores anyway. The change log on Coretemp states he changed the software because reported temps in previous versions were way to low. What do you think?

• Advertisement

Are you sure its not copper? I though all Intel Stock coolers has a copper base. If it was, for some reason not, then yeah that'd affect temperatures. edit: sorry just read above you said from looking its not copper. thats quite strange

I use coretemp as well. On my E2160, which is definitely a hotter running chip then the regular C2Ds, I idle at 35c at 2.4Ghz (from 1.8Ghz). It's actually the same give or take a degree or two when it's at stock. I tried using an aftermarket cooler and it made very little difference. But when I used the same aftermarket cooler on my 6400, it made a big difference. Anyway. Just pointing out there that the E2160 runs quite hot anyway, so maybe it's the same with 4400's, but I don't think so. With the stock cooler, my 6400 also idles about 32 at 2.7. As for my bios I ignore it as it gives me totally screwed readings that vary from 10 to 60c when I first turn on the computer, so I don't pay much attention.

Anyway in conclusion I would definitely find the stock cooler more then good enough for small to modest overclocking so if you're experiencing high temps with small overclock something is wrong. The only thing I can think of wrong with yours is that either you need to reapply thermal paste, or the rare possiblity of a botched cooler or something....has been known to happen the odd time with Intel coolers. What are temps like when its at stock? edit: or of course, if the cooler isnt copper, then that wouldn't exactly help and would likely be a cause

Oh and some well placed fans can make a big difference. Just 1 120mm fan on the side of my case taking in air to the cpu made a few degrees difference.

My stock temps in coretemp .95 are 45 for idle on both cores, and 65 on load for both cores. I will have a look at the cooler when I get off work.. but I suspect its seated properly.

Edit: I think the HSF for the older celron chips and the e2*00 chips has an aluminum core, I have seen this on other forums. From what I can tell the base of my HSF is aluminum.

Anybody know where to buy a cheep Arctic freezer 7, I'm only looking for a modest overclock. Overclockers.co.uk have very expensive postage.

www.yoyotech.co.uk sell them for like 16£

Thanks man. I found one at HITide for 25 Euro and went and bought it (oh the impulsiveness :) ). I fig I wouldn't get it much cheaper. postage is just 11 Euro.

Aye, thats not a bad deal at all. and its a pretty decent cooler too, fantastic value for money.

Well the cooler arived today. Installed without a hitch. On stock idle temps are 24 in Bios and 35 in Coretemp. On load it goes up to 58 in coretemp. If I overclock to 2.4 GHz idle temps are 43 in Coretemp and 69 under load using TAT.. they read a few degrees lower in TAT. If i overclock to 2.6 GHz Idle temps are 45 and load temps are 71 in Coretemp, and 69 in TAT. Not earth moving but 10 degrees lower. I was hopeing for more but I guess this chip is hot as hell. I removed the fan from the stock cooler and its aluminium underneath. How many degrees lower should it drop after the paste sets?

Edit: Using Orthos Beta load temps with 100% CPU use on a 2.4GHz overclock is between 61 and 65 degrees, between 4 and 8 degrees cooler than stressing using TAT. It overclocked to 3GHz fine but load tempswere 75. I think Ill stick with 2.4 GHz as its a cheep cpu anyway and there are no errors under stress.

Still pretty poor temperatures considering they're still high at just 400mhz overclock and you're using a new cooler. Guess it's just a bad chip. At least 2.4Ghz is more then you'll ever need for any game right now, so it's no big deal, but I would be annoyed...:(

Ya its a bummer all right. My brother has a similar problem with his E6600. What are the chances!! Speed fan reports 55 degrees under load with tat on both core's.. but I fig this is probably bull.

Advertisement