Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar - Overcharging/theiving staff?

Options
  • 27-08-2007 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

There is a spar close to where I work at which I have been overcharged one time to many, allow me to give some examples,

A bar of choc is marked at 70c but on 3 days in a row (served by the same girl) the price was 70c, 75c, and 85c. I told her what the shelf edge labe said and very hush hush she gave me back the difference,

On Friday, I bought a Ice cream, priced at 1.19, and was 'charged' 1.29, i didnt pay too much attention to it this time - should point out it is the same girl as before - as something cought my eye, she didnt scan the ice cream and the till drawer was open.

Over the weekend, talking about it with friends, we wondered if she didnt scan it on purpose, (maybe on the take) or a genuine mistake, given my previous dealings, mentioned above, I said I would try to buy the same item again and see what happens,

So in I went, I decided to watch her as well, when a member of staff looked at her she closed the cash drawer otherwise it stayed open, she only scanned half the items (could see the price displayed for scanned items on the display for customers) - is was lunchtime so most people were small transactions, 20 smokes, bottle of coke, roll etc.

So I went to the ice-cream freezer, double checked price, 1.19 and made sure I was served by her, not easy since it was one queue and many serving, and she didnt scan the ice cream and said 1.29 quietly, i gave her 1.50 and when she gave my my change, from the open till I told her it was priced at 1.19, i got a quick apology from her and the difference back, no questions asked,

Now this all makes me feel uneasy, as I can only draw 2 conclusions from this,

1) maybe till display intermittent/faulty and I am being genuininely overcharged
    2)this girl is taking the full transaction amount for the items or the overcharged amount for herself, and from a busy shop like this one then she is probably getting a fair bit a day

if no 2 is the case, then this girl is not only taking my money and spars, but I am probably also guilty of taking from the shop as technically I havent paid (wonder about the law on that one! - mentle note to ask for receipt everytime)

Bar not going there (not really an option as no where else to go) what should i do, how would you go from here?report the shop? letter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I have a good one for you ,

Went into a spar last week ,with a hangover . This lovely looking girl behind the counter catches my eye.
    She's smiling at me ,I'm actually thinking why is she smiling at me ,I'm not in her league.

Later I discovered after putting my hand in my pocket ,she left me a tenner short.

Always check your change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mispriced items are fairly common in a lot of stores so I wouldn't get too worked up over that. If you have 2-3 thousand products in the shops then odds are there will always be a few wrong, especially items like Coca Cola that are always doing promotions.

And if you point out the wrong price, most of the time you'll get the lower price and if you don't then just ask calmly for the manager.
    Of course they're under no obligation to sell it for the lower price.
    And if you're in Tesco, you get the mispriced free :)

I'm more concerned about leaving the till open between transactions. I've never seen that in a shop but from working as a barman that's the best way to fiddle a till.
    She's probably thieving-next time have a glance to see if there is CCTV by the till. There probably is so she will probably be caught.

Shop two or three times more and if it still happens, write a letter to the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Next time you go in ask for a receipt after she asks for the money and see what she does. If she rings up the item then she is on the fiddle. and if so report her to the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Tell the manager - this type of theft is the worst type. She's in a position of trust and is quite literally fleecing her employer. Manager / Owner will simply do a few spot checks and fire her. - As she deserves

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yup, have a quiet word with the management. It may only seem a small thing, but businesses have gone under because of theft like this, if enough of it is left unchecked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

I agree with the previous posters, you should mention it to management. I own a shop myself and it sounds like she is on the take. It might only seem like small amounts but done on a number of transactions, it adds up

P.s. what area is this in? (put my mind at ease!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm pretty much convinced that I've seen staff pocket small transactions in a fair few convenience stores around Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

Beano wrote:
    Next time you go in ask for a receipt after she asks for the money and see what she does. If she rings up the item then she is on the fiddle. and if so report her to the manager.

Sounds like a plan to me, I will do that tomorrow, and report back here! could use another ice cream
    Roryc1 wrote:
    I agree with the previous posters, you should mention it to management. I own a shop myself and it sounds like she is on the take. It might only seem like small amounts but done on a number of transactions, it adds up, P.s. what area is this in? (put my mind at ease!)

Its in Dublin 1, hope its not your shop!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

micmclo wrote:
    Mispriced items are fairly common in a lot of stores so I wouldn't get too worked up over that. If you have 2-3 thousand products in the shops then odds are there will always be a few wrong, especially items like Coca Cola that are always doing promotions.

And if you point out the wrong price, most of the time you'll get the lower price and if you don't then just ask calmly for the manager.
    Of course they're under no obligation to sell it for the lower price.
    And if you're in Tesco, you get the mispriced free :)

Thats the problem..... it SHOULDN'T happen! All shops are required (by law) to display correct and up to date prices. If found out / reported, the shop in question could face a 3k+ fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

One of the good tricks is to only key the item to the point of getting a subtotal, then don't hit the total button to conclude the transaction. Works well with single item sales. Till fraud is going on everywhere, it's great fun to watch it happening.

Often, the core problem is that the shopowner is stealing too, and has taken steps to make sure there are no procedures to prevent the stealing.

This is the problem with reporting it. A lot of people are involved to varying degrees, not just the guy you met at the till. What's the point in saying anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Next time you go in check and see if there's a "Price You See Price You Get" sticker on the front door. There usually is one on Spar shops. That way you do get the price you see. If you think she's stealing report it to the manager. Try going to a different person next time and see if they are doing the same thing as she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

not exactly related
    but in my local centra there like that they do ring it up and occasionaly give recipts, so when silk cut introduced the gemini pack i was charged for 15 when it should have been 20 i got away with this for about two months : )
    to the dismay of the manager who ripped me off so much before i loved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 TScul

How does she know what to charge you without scanning. I mean she hardly knows the price of eveything in the shop so that she can add 10c to it. If it scans in at 1.29 instead of 1.19 then that's what she's going to ask you for, but if she's not even scanning it then why not ask 'are you sure that's the price, could you scan it please?'

She doesn't need to know the exact price. She just makes up whatever figure looks plausible. She can charge lower, it doesn't matter, because she's going to keep all the money anyway.

The other thing she can do is use the till to do a price check instead of ringing up the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Short changing is still a popular gag.

That is why I pay by plastic for the weekly shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Report it to the manager. It's worse when they try to steal from both the shop and the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My local Spar regularly undercharges me. :eek: Many of the British broadsheet newspapers are more expensive at weekends than during the week (e.g Telegraph, Guardian etc.) but they scan at the weekday price. I've mentioned it a few times but they aren't interested. Now I just enjoy the discount! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

_Brian_ wrote:
    I have a good one for you ,

Went into a spar last week ,with a hangover . This lovely looking girl behind the counter catches my eye.
    She's smiling at me ,I'm actually thinking why is she smiling at me ,I'm not in her league.

Later I discovered after putting my hand in my pocket ,she left me a tenner short.

Always check your change.

you should have went back and spoke to a manager. he's obliged to cash the till in question up to check it out.

If he refuses (and no im not messing with this), you're entitled to inform that gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Oh no he's not. Or should I say, oh now I am not.....

Whoever told you that doesnt know what they are talking about.

As for calling the guards? Are you for real? A lady called the guards on me one day because I would not change a phone credit for her that she had bought in error. I told the guards out straight: It was a civil matter and feck all to do with them AND they should have had the cop to tell her that. Now if the lady had of approached me in a civil matter rather than shouting at me she would have got better satisfaction.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Oh no he's not. Or should I say, oh now I am not.....

Whoever told you that doesnt know what they are talking about.

As for calling the guards? Are you for real? A lady called the guards on me one day because I would not change a phone credit for her that she had bought in error. I told the guards out straight: It was a civil matter and feck all to do with them AND they should have had the cop to tell her that. Now if the lady had of approached me in a civil matter rather than shouting at me she would have got better satisfaction.....

totally different situation, choose to believe what you want

• Advertisement

faceman wrote:
    you should have went back and spoke to a manager. he's obliged to cash the till in question up to check it out.

If he refuses (and no im not messing with this), you're entitled to inform that gardai

I was cunningly decieved ,fair play to the girl:) .

Believe me ,if I had of had the cop on there and then ,I would have let rip.

How did she do it? what was her technique?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Whomever said the manager is obliged to cash up there and then is nuts! Guy said he was overcharged on a sale. Offered to take his number and he would be contacted if the till was over, as it was 2pm on a Saturday and I wasn't cashing up a till. Refused to leave and was getting abusive, so the guards were called, and he was arrested. All for the sake of 10euro, which the till was up at the end of the night, and the money was given to the Garda station, who had his details.

chrislad wrote:
    Whomever said the manager is obliged to cash up there and then is nuts! Guy said he was overcharged on a sale. Offered to take his number and he would be contacted if the till was over, as it was 2pm on a Saturday and I wasn't cashing up a till. Refused to leave and was getting abusive, so the guards were called, and he was arrested. All for the sake of 10euro, which the till was up at the end of the night, and the money was given to the Garda station, who had his details.

i think you're talking about me, and if you had bother to read my post, you will see that i never said it had to be there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Maybe they use are going to use all the money from skimming the tills to print up some new signs????

1311561792_ca792304bd_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

On that note, a (since fixed) sign from DCU Spar:

DSC00251.JPG

Igy wrote:
    On that note, a (since fixed) sign from DCU Spar:

DSC00251.JPG

So if you want to put your hands on the cakes ,you have to wear the thongs provided ?
    Sounds a bit Borat.

Advertisement