Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing the scripts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    As a point of interest, who is getting papers checked even though they don't need (potentially extra) points?
    Right here. Probably won't have any rechecked but do want to look. Think of it as window-shopping. Would regret it if I didn't look while I have the chance. Just curious really. Wouldn't have minded getting a little higher in one subject though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Just to clear up. One Student + One Other Person for EACH viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I still haven't been given times. Should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

obl wrote:
    I still haven't been given times. Should I be worried?

give your school a ring tomorrow. Someone there surely knows whats happening (Or isn;t? :( )

Hopefully, they do have the forms sent out otherwise it'll be appealing exams without viewing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jackie-B

Doesnt hurt to view and when you do, you get a fair idea if you need to get anything rechecked cos you have the marking scheme there and one of your teachers. Was 10 points off what I needed last year got three subjects checked, went up in maths and geog and got my 10 points.
    So it was defo worth doin:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Did anybody get a different day then friday I mean I haven't come across one person who has! and I lost my little slip I presume that won't cause any problems and yes I would be getting worried if it wasn't sent out yet coz if it didn't reach the principle the scripts won't be there for you to see!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Bluefox21 wrote:
    Did anybody get a different day then friday I mean I haven't come across one person who has! and I lost my little slip I presume that won't cause any problems and yes I would be getting worried if it wasn't sent out yet coz if it didn't reach the principle the scripts won't be there for you to see!!!!!!!!
    I'm in on Saturday afternoon.....go me!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

I am 9 am saturday, far too early

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Eh to the person who lost the slip, it says you need it to gain entry to your papers. I'd be looking frantically if I were you. I got Friday, but there's 2 sessions on Saturday, why would you be worried if you got a different one to other people..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shox

i got 600, but still viewing all my scripts.. just very curious rely.
    Got an a2 in chemistry which i felt was my most certain a1 before the results. Don't know if i'd bother rechecking it, i no dat 37 is refunded if your right but by the time they are out, its all a distant memory anyway!!!

• Advertisement

Shox wrote:
    i got 600, but still viewing all my scripts.. just very curious rely.
    Got an a2 in chemistry which i felt was my most certain a1 before the results. Don't know if i'd bother rechecking it, i no dat 37 is refunded if your right but by the time they are out, its all a distant memory anyway!!!

Oh please, don't recheck it. Seriously, that's just being a wanker, clogging up the system for people who actually need the recheck results. Look at your papers by all means, I've no problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Oh please, don't recheck it. Seriously, that's just being a wanker, clogging up the system for people who actually need the recheck results. Look at your papers by all means, I've no problem with that.

Its a shame, but you're gonna get so many people who do that, just for "self-satisfaction" or some other stuff. And its so stupid really, because when the rechecks do come back, in October, they're just gonna say, "meh, I went up," or "meh, I stayed the same," and if they say to someone then, "Oh I actually got 600, rather than 590" who is really going to care? No-one in college thats for sure! My boyfriend rechecked his maths last year, because he was "sure" he deserved an A1. So, he spends 37 euros on a recheck...he gets his course on second round offers, starts college.....recheck comes back, he says, "oh, I stayed the same," and it's all a big pointless waste of time. You cant really fault people for wanting to make the most of all their hard work that they put in during the year, but it just seems like nothing more than a pointless ego-stroking exercise at the end of the day. Still, there'll be SO many people do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Well the leaving cert isn't solely about the CAO. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get the mark you deserve. Maybe it is just ego-stroking, but it's ego-stroking in the exact same way that any competitive activity is ego stroking.

Personally, i'm only appealing to get an entrance scholarship, but I can completely understand anyone appealing for no other reason than just to get a mark that they feel they deserved.

As for clogging up the system, that's a stupid argument. One could just as easily say that people who missed out on their courses and are appealing are clogging up the system just because they feel hard done by the system when in reality they're not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

Sean_K wrote:
    Well the leaving cert isn't solely about the CAO. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get the mark you deserve. Maybe it is just ego-stroking, but it's ego-stroking in the exact same way that any competitive activity is ego stroking.

Personally, i'm only appealing to get an entrance scholarship, but I can completely understand anyone appealing for no other reason than just to get a mark that they feel they deserved.

As for clogging up the system, that's a stupid argument. One could just as easily say that people who missed out on their courses and are appealing are clogging up the system just because they feel hard done by the system when in reality they're not good enough.
    Ah, that's a bit harsh there isn't it !
    Nobody is clogging up the system, the date for the results is set for the 10th October, no matter how many appilcations there is, five weeks from the deadline from applications. Appeal if you think after viewing your script that you are entitled to a higher grade. People should get what they deserved for the work they put in and not to be cheated by a mistake by the correcter

Sorry, I didn't mean it in that tone, I just meant it to highlight that it is just as legitimate for a 600 point student to appeal a subject as it is for a 100 point student to appeal a subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Ok, I know shag-all about the rechecking process - but if someone aiming for a scholarship ended up with extra points after a recheck, wouldn't it be October at that stage and the scholarships would already have been given out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Nobody is clogging up the system, the date for the results is set for the 10th October, no matter how many appilcations there is, five weeks from the deadline from applications. Appeal if you think after viewing your script that you are entitled to a higher grade. People should get what they deserved for the work they put in and not to be cheated by a mistake by the correcter
    Good post. Agree 100%. You should get what you deserve in the Leaving Cert, whatever points you deserve.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Ok, I know shag-all about the rechecking process - but if someone aiming for a scholarship ended up with extra points after a recheck, wouldn't it be October at that stage and the scholarships would already have been given out?
    In UCD they wait till after the rechecks to hand out the cheques. So that'll hopefully keep me going until christmas, provided I get 10 more points:D

I think there should be a 'priority' system and a slower one for the satisfaction people. I just think the way the system is, that a lot of colleges won't accept people if they get the course on rechecks because it's too late. If it was just people appealing for points, obviously it could be done a lot faster. And yeah, I think appealing if you have 600 is just ridiculous, yes one subject only got the A2, but €37 just to see it almost definitely stay the same? Won't make a difference to the 600 point max.

I would have agreed with the poster above a few days ago but I think I've changed my mind. I guess the key issue is receiving the point score/grades you deserved, and if a mistake has been made, then a student should get it rechecked even if he received 600 or 590 or a score 10 points below what he needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

I think there should be a 'priority' system and a slower one for the satisfaction people. I just think the way the system is, that a lot of colleges won't accept people if they get the course on rechecks because it's too late. If it was just people appealing for points, obviously it could be done a lot faster. And yeah, I think appealing if you have 600 is just ridiculous, yes one subject only got the A2, but €37 just to see it almost definitely stay the same? Won't make a difference to the 600 point max.

The colleges HAVE TO ACCEPT YOU if you do better following a re-check & subsequently have enough points to have gotten the course day one. in fact, if you do go up they will be calling early the next morning to find out if and when you want to start. Like the rest of the CAO process... if you have the points, you get it.

No they don't, not if you've missed out on 3 weeks+ of lectures. You have your place for the following year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 btothei

JSK 252 wrote:
    Sources Please. I dont believe this rubbish as my sister a few years ago viewed all of her papers and brought in a good few teachers into the viewing room with her. Obviously she was only allowed 1 teacher at a time. They werent strict about it what so ever.

Could you try to brush up in your spelling a bit as I HATE people who write "U" instead of "you".

they werent strict about it whatsoever? well considering that ure (sorry YOUR) not allowed bring so much as a pen or a telephone into the exam centre (as that what the room is an exam centre again) they seemed to have went back on this somewhat lackadaisical approach to which ure sister enjoyed. Also ure onli allowed bring in a calculator. i thought this was common knowledge but apparently not.

ps sori bou me spellin nd grammar its jst i'm tryin t be cool ye kno?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I think there should be a 'priority' system and a slower one for the satisfaction people.

I understand why you think that, but how would it be done?
    If you are appealing for reasons of self-satisfaction, please tick here...
    If you are appealing for other reasons, please tick here.
    Probably wouldn't work. It'd be nice to dream about though.
    Well, if the results are out on the 10th October, and most lectures start on the 24th (as far as I know) surely the college is obligated to take you into the course. A girl I know had to leave some course in UCC two weeks in and head up to Dublin, find accommodation and start physiotherapy. Kinda crap alright.

Heh, a sticker? 'PRIORITY' Well in Trinity, lectures start Oct 8th, so they'd take you if there was a place to spare, but some colleges, lectures start middle-end of September and for things like Nursing, Medicine, earlier again. So some colleges reserve your place for next year.

I don't think it's a case of someone having to defer a year in a course, but that if they didn't that they would be at a huge disadvantage - for example Medicine in NUIG, students would have missed 2.5 weeks worth of lectures.
    And as for the priority thing - they could set it up so that the students who scored lowest in the LC get their papers checked first, and so on and so forth up to the students who scored 600 getting theirs checked last, maybe at the end of a 2 week period. I'd be in favour of something like this alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shox

ya i agree with you corruptedmorals, its pointless me re-checking it, i had decided i was nt going to anyway. Viewing it should satisfy me enough. Besides im saving for accomodation and every 37 euro counts!! For Sean K, i got the entrance scholarship letter and it did say somethin about waiting until the middle of october for UCD, i presume for the re checks.

The whole priority system would be a better idea alrite, but i can never see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I made my course comfortably but Im still going to get my exams rechecked if I felt I could get an extra 10 or 15 points... Why? Because there is the remote possibility I dont like my course, and the extra points would give me enough to do something like pharmacy or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Yep, to check your paper against. You're allowed a calculator, to add up marks I suppose, but no phones or 'writing instruments'.

Are you allowed to bring in a scientific calculator, or just a normal calculator?

• Advertisement

I doubt it'd matter. Woo...seeing mine in an hour.

Advertisement