Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing the scripts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Got an amazing 34/100 in my English essay:eek:

What has peed me off though and it's a warning to everyone out there, i viewed 5 papers and in 2 of them the marks were added up incorrectly.

In Biology, they added up the 2 part question wrong, saying that 24 + 18 = 32 when of course we know it equals 42, that would have brought my % up to 85% from 82.5% and an extra 5 points.

In Geography there was another mistake, they added up 52/80 in one question when infact i got 62/80, a harshly marked paper for me too, a stingy 40/80 in the option killed me, i got 77% but with the extra 10 marks that were added up incorrectly i should have got 79% and with another 4 marks which i definately think should have been awarded to me in a map that i drew i would have reached 80% and another grade, this is not mentioning the stingy 40/80 they gave me in my final question.

What's the message?

Go look at your papers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Just after checking mine, I got 398 in English which brought a smile, now the bad news; 43 out of a 100 in my Irish essay, whoever corrected it was a prick. Missed grades by 6 marks in Accounting and 9 marks in Chemistry.

I'd like to appeal but seeing as I only got my course by 5 points I'm hesitant. I wonder does anyone know (Absolutely 100%, not 'heard it from a friend' stuff) that if you appeal and get downgraded, can they take your course off you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The tots are always the most likely source of upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cson wrote:
    Just after checking mine, I got 398 in English which brought a smile, now the bad news; 43 out of a 100 in my Irish essay, whoever corrected it was a prick. Missed grades by 6 marks in Accounting and 9 marks in Chemistry.

I'd like to appeal but seeing as I only got my course by 5 points I'm hesitant. I wonder does anyone know (Absolutely 100%, not 'heard it from a friend' stuff) that if you appeal and get downgraded, can they take your course off you?

Just forget about about the appeal, i got my course with 0 points to spare with 4 papers i was unhappy with. I didn't even bother looking at them. Forget about it. Your Leaving cert means very little now. I wouldn't risk it for the sake of my ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I have just come back from checking mine. I have some advice for others who havnt seen them yet.

If you are unsure about any of your papers now and think that you want to have a teacher with you, ring your school and check that they will be there now.

In my experience the checking isnt very strict. There were no officals, only teachers from the school. I got away with using my phone as a calculator as i forgot mine.

Anyone who has done chemistry or is checking it, (or probably any subject for that matter) use the calculator to recount all the marks. Who ever marked my chem paper, couldnt count but in the end it worked out in my favour +7 marks! ;-)

Best of luck to anyone who needs an upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Well I'm glad I viewed my scripts. Got myself 100% in the English papers so I did! I'm guessing either the transcripts got mixed up or some radical new marking scheme has been introduced. Still, I'm fairly delighted!

Wow, well done. I didnt think it was possible to get 100% in english. Id love to read your papers. I got a B3, and just scraped it by 1/4%. Got 93% in biology tho. woot!

Thanks! I didn't realise it was possible either. Believe me when I say I was amazed, I didn't think my composition was worth more than 75 marks tbh. Though clearly the examiner did so I'm grateful!
    Well done on the biology result, I got 86% myself. Probably would have gotten the A1 if it weren't those blasted Section A questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

For the people who looked at their scripts this evening, are all the marking schemes there if you need to use them? I am on tomorrow at 9, any advice? What was the procedure do you look at them all together or what?

The marking schemes are all there but you can only look at your papers one subject at a time. It would have been much easier if they gave me the whole bundle at once but the SEC seem to love their inconvenient rules and regulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

That will be very annoying for me, i am looking at 8 scripts, thanks for letting me know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

btothei wrote:
    they werent strict about it whatsoever? well considering that ure (sorry YOUR) not allowed bring so much as a pen or a telephone into the exam centre (as that what the room is an exam centre again) they seemed to have went back on this somewhat lackadaisical approach to which ure sister enjoyed. Also ure onli allowed bring in a calculator. i thought this was common knowledge but apparently not.

ps sori bou me spellin nd grammar its jst i'm tryin t be cool ye kno?

No problem mate. No need to apologise... Your grand.

Yah they werent strict whatsoever but thats considering all the teachers knew the guy that was supervising the viewing session:D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Steve01 wrote:
    Well I'm glad I viewed my scripts. Got myself 100% in the English papers so I did! I'm guessing either the transcripts got mixed up or some radical new marking scheme has been introduced. Still, I'm fairly delighted!

An award for the highest english mark in the country could be in order? They have awards down here in Cork for the highest result in business subjects, science subjects by the Cork Chamber of Commerce.

Fair play in getting the result. Good man yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

they let me take both the scripts I was viewing inside... *shrug*

both chemistry and english were marked by retards, one of which didn't understand irish and the other of which didn't understand english (question marks all over the shop, pfft)

I'm not getting rechecks though, unless i saw a glaring error which meant definite upgrade, I didn't feel like gambling €37 euro for nothing. personally I think it's nuts that if you do get an upgrade, the SEC don't give any compensation or anything just your own €37 euro back... pfft...

JSK 252 wrote:
    An award for the highest english mark in the country could be in order? They have awards down here in Cork for the highest result in business subjects, science subjects by the Cork Chamber of Commerce.

Fair play in getting the result. Good man yourself.

Thanks JSK! All this praise is doing wonders for my ego :D *swings scarf over shoulder*
    Best of luck with the exams too, they're nowhere near as bad as you'd think they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭*belle*

viewed my scripts today... it was worth it.
    getting two subjects checked which had clear errors in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I got 95 out of 100 for my English and Irish essays :eek: couldn't believe it! And 95 for my special topic too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Got 89.5% in biology, found an extra 4 marks, so thats an extra 10 points, and my English teacher said I should get moved up in English too, so an extra 20 points I reckon...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

cocoa wrote:
    both chemistry and english were marked by retards, one of which didn't understand irish and the other of which didn't understand english (question marks all over the shop, pfft)

Question marks do not mean they did not understand you, it means they were querying something with the Supervising Examiner - possibly whether to award or not award marks in a situation.

The original corrector will have marked in red biro, and secondary marking or repeat marking will have been done in green.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm half a percent off the next grade in Biology...69.5 percent..seriously is it not 5 and up means it gets rounded up to the nearest whole number? And there's a few things with no marks when they should be, so that's 5 points. Irish and History were SCABBY, Irish had marks lost all over the place in the paper 1 questions...haven't a clue why. History essays, highest was 73/100 WTF, scabby scabby examiner, they were top quality essays! Appealing those 3. English and Geog were great to see though:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I'm half a percent off the next grade in Biology...69.5 percent..seriously is it not 5 and up means it gets rounded up to the nearest whole number? And there's a few things with no marks when they should be, so that's 5 points. Irish and History were SCABBY, Irish had marks lost all over the place in the paper 1 questions...haven't a clue why. History essays, highest was 73/100 WTF, scabby scabby examiner, they were top quality essays! Appealing those 3. English and Geog were great to see though:D
    They mark down. Always.

I'm a bit raging with myself. Got 89% in Irish and Maths! And 79% in Home Ec. Appealing all 3 although I don't know what I got in the béaltriail. I need 10 points for the first choice but I doubt I'd take it at this stage anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    As a point of interest, who is getting papers checked even though they don't need (potentially extra) points?

I am. Because even though i got my 2nd choice in england for college- It wouldnt do any harm to go up a bit as im applying for dentistry next year which was my first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

Shox wrote:
    i got 600, but still viewing all my scripts.. just very curious rely.
    Got an a2 in chemistry which i felt was my most certain a1 before the results. Don't know if i'd bother rechecking it, i no dat 37 is refunded if your right but by the time they are out, its all a distant memory anyway!!!

Im so curious also!! even subjects i know theres no way ill get moved up a grade in, its purely nosiness!! well we did do all the work so............!

Plus im kinda worried as i have to view 5 scripts all in 40 mins!!who the hell gave me 40 mins!! grrrrrrr. hope it can be done!! personally i thought we'd get the whole 3hrs!!

Back a page someone said that they only got to look at one script at a time. I got all of mine in a bundle and not a SEC person in sight. Maybe the staff kept him locked in the staff room?

It is worth recounting all the marks because the correctors may be able to mark but only the ones who mark maths can count....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭*belle*

they gave me all my scripts at once too and i had the full 6-9 time. not that i used it all. if they are only giving you 40 mins,thats a joke.you wont be able to have a proper look. just look at the most important one first i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I looked at all mine yesterday, and jaysus some of those people who mark exams.. eugh! I got 89.75% in chem. One single mark away from an A1 which I desperately needed for MED.
    Looking through the paper I wrote KI and the answer was potassium iodide and I got 0. also, Q. what is a week acid? I wrote partially disociates in water. the answer on the ms was SLIGHTLY dissociates in water. was worth 3 marks and I got 0. I'm definitely getting it appealed.
    Applied maths was 10 marks short of the A1, but 5 marks over a B1 so I'll keep my A2 :D especially seeing that it was already marked twice.
    Phy which i was sure would be an A2 got me 361/400 which is 1 single mark up from an A1.
    I got 92% in Bio and 93.5% in Tec. D... Duno how i did so well in tec.
    In maths, I was 5 marks short of an A1 in P1 and 9 marks over an A1 in P2. this gave me 544/600 overall, = 90 2/3 %. jaysus.
    I got an A2 in O.L irish without including the Oral. I got a B2 overall so i might just be pushed to appeal it... wont be too popular in here over that one:D :D

I got 0/3 for saying a liquid was "colourless". I think the MS answer was "clear" crazy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I was one mark away from an A1 in maths. I also have a case for 3 more marks in Q6 (c)(ii):

Q:
    f'(x) + g'(x) = 0
    Prove f(x) + g(x) = a constant

Marking scheme answer:
    f'(x) + g'(x) = 0
    integ[f'(x) + g'(x)]dx = k
    f(x) + g(x) = k

My answer:
    f'(x) + g'(x) = 0
    f'(x) = -g'(x)
    integ[f'(x)]dx = -integ[g'(x)]dx
    f(x) = -g(x) + c
    f(x) + g(x) = c

Marker implied I lost marks because I didn't put a constant of integration on each side, which isn't necessary - I was representing both with "c".

I'm still not really bothered rechecking it though. The teacher thought I should and gave me the form and got me to write a discrepency report anyway. My parents think I should too, but I'm not really sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I still think .5 and over should be rounded up to the nearest whole number. There's a 2% leniency in D3 to a fail, so why not in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

spurious wrote:
    Question marks do not mean they did not understand you, it means they were querying something with the Supervising Examiner - possibly whether to award or not award marks in a situation.

The original corrector will have marked in red biro, and secondary marking or repeat marking will have been done in green.
    only one colour of pen on my scripts... and the examiner in the english one had literally underlined hundreds of things and added a question mark...

@ corruptmorals, grades aren't awarded by percent, they are awarded by mark, 359/400 is still an A2.

Advertisement