Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing the scripts

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Ahh. Yes my Biology is stuck at 278/400. But I lost 3 marks for explaining something..the MS says (sciencey phrasing) OR explain, and that's what I did.. PFFT. And it happened again as well.

I don't understand my Irish Paper 1. The marking for the questions is 4...3...4...3 and the whole time mine is 3.....2....3...2 They're answered the exact same as I always have done and always got full marks for so..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Steve01 wrote:
    Best of luck with the exams too, they're nowhere near as bad as you'd think they are

Were you directing the good luck towards me? Oh right thanks. Its still another 2 years down the road anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

out of curiosity, who here agrees with me that the chemistry marking scheme was a bit crazy?

plum pudding model: electrons accepted, but not negatively charged particles (despite the fact that the word electron wasn't yet in use at that time...)

heterogenous catalysis : phases but not states of matter (still don't understand the difference tbh, my book said states of matter...)

meh, so it goes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I was one mark away from an A1 in maths.

well thats a bitch...
    Marker implied I lost marks because I didn't put a constant of integration on each side, which isn't necessary - I was representing both with "c".

Agreed, dead right.
    got me to write out a discrepincy report

What exactly is involved in this, is it about drawing attention to one or more single aspect of your paper. Do you enclose with the paper when you send it back and do you have to write it on some SEC special form or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Yeah it's a special form you fill out and it gets sent back with your paper to be rechecked. Basically just described where I thought there was a correcting mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some of the errors described here (correcting rather than totting) are very basic.
    Time for the SEC to up their pay rates unless they want more of this in the future. Any figures on what percentage of correctors were actually teachers, I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Ahh. Yes my Biology is stuck at 278/400. But I lost 3 marks for explaining something..the MS says (sciencey phrasing) OR explain, and that's what I did.. PFFT. And it happened again as well.

I don't understand my Irish Paper 1. The marking for the questions is 4...3...4...3 and the whole time mine is 3.....2....3...2 They're answered the exact same as I always have done and always got full marks for so..?

Yeah but re Biology, you have to phrase it very specifically or else you won't get full marks. Also, in the question where you had to do a labelled diagram of the breathing system, no one said you had to label the diaphragm, ribs or alveoli andc there it is in the marking scheme. What a load of bullshíte. It doesn't matter to me as I got my A1 but I would be píssed if it cost me the A1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alfalfaj

What marks do people get in order to get an award for the highest marks in the country? Or the awards with a group of about three subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

my physics was marked disgracefully. Marks were all over the place nd the marks on the page were different to the marks on the front where theyre all listed. it was also marked in pencil and then written over in red pen... kinda annoying. Wish i looked over more papers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Was given all subjects at the one time. Handbags were taken away from the ladies until they were finished. Someone's mobile went off in the centre but not much was said.

My business was corrected twice. Got seven marks extra in second correction.

Can't believe how harsly German was marked -- I mean they followed the marking scheme verbatim. No such thing as a word with a similar meaning. Didn't have the half marks I should have for answering in the wrong language. Grrr............. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

My French was marked by an absolute dickhead, who followed the marking scheme word for word.

ie:
    Maxellende asking her ma "When will we buy the yoke?" is not sufficient evidence that they don't have one (0/5)
    OR
    Find a verb in the future simple: Quitter. Marking scheme says quittera, so I get 2/5.

And in one of my essays, I got 6/15 for language, even though I only made one grammatical error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Looked at maths, and the prick took 6 marks off me for mistaking my writing of the letter 1 for 7:mad:
    Needless to say, those 6 marks would have brought me up to the next grade.
    Geography, English and Business were fair enough I suppose IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

A friend of mine had an B3 in chemistry on her report but when she viewed the papers A1 had been written on the exam booklet

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

BrightEyes wrote:
    A friend of mine had an B3 in chemistry on her report but when she viewed the papers A1 had been written on the exam booklet
    Is she doing something about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I couldnt believe it, 1 mark off an A1 in geography and 3 marks off an A1 in business. English I somehow got 23/70 in my comparative essay....a discrace for me when I averaged 60 throughout the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

sternn wrote:
    I couldnt believe it, 1 mark off an A1 in geography and 3 marks off an A1 in business. English I somehow got 23/70 in my comparative essay....a discrace for me when I averaged 60 throughout the year...

feel your pain sternn, i was 2 marks off an A1 in maths and applied maths, then i was 6 marks off the A1 in english. just shows you can't be flippant about any little mistakes. 2 blunders and a misread comprehension means 30 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Home Ec was harshly marked. My teacher who's in her mid 50s called the Home Ec examiner my class had a "BITCH" because in the assignments we were all given half marks here and there, with no reason given.

French was harsh but fair. I didn't think i had done as bad but looking at the paper I seen that the mistakes were in account to the grade.

English was a dream. i got my paper corrected twice, got a B3 1st time, then a B2. :)

LCVP was very mean, but I don't think it'll be worth appealing. I'm a good few marks from a Distinction so I'll leave it be.

Should've applied for OL maths, but I'm getting it appealed because i need a B3 to study Computer Science in NUIM.

Didnt' see irish or Ag sci, but as they were OL I'm not pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

The conditions for our viewing was totally lax, we were allowed walk around, chat to each other, make phone calls... Good laugh tbh! Got all the papers at once iswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I was one mark away from an A1 in maths. I also have a case for 3 more marks in Q6 (c)(ii):

Q:
    f'(x) + g'(x) = 0
    Prove f(x) + g(x) = a constant

Marking scheme answer:
    f'(x) + g'(x) = 0
    integ[f'(x) + g'(x)]dx = k
    f(x) + g(x) = k

My answer:
    f'(x) + g'(x) = 0
    f'(x) = -g'(x)
    integ[f'(x)]dx = -integ[g'(x)]dx
    f(x) = -g(x) + c
    f(x) + g(x) = c

Marker implied I lost marks because I didn't put a constant of integration on each side, which isn't necessary - I was representing both with "c".

I'm still not really bothered rechecking it though. The teacher thought I should and gave me the form and got me to write a discrepency report anyway. My parents think I should too, but I'm not really sure.
    I did it that way too but I still only got an attempt mark :eek: and I put in two constants. I don't see how it's wrong? Cost me a whole .5%;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

When you need .14%, .5% is a lot....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Am I being a bit ridiculous for thinking I could lose 55 marks(Maths) and thus bring me down when getting a recheck?
    This is the only problem with get a recheck because of the matriculation requirement for my course which I wish to keep.
    I still want the obvious total error I found rectified though, I am a picky bastard:D

*I also can't believe how ****ing idiotic I was to leave out the C part of question 6 p2:mad::(*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Is she doing something about it?
    What can she do? Its too late now because Cambridge have already rejected her application. She was supposed to get 6 As to go to Cambridge but because of that ''B3'', they rejected her

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

BrightEyes wrote:
    What can she do? Its too late now because Cambridge have already rejected her application. She was supposed to get 6 As to go to Cambridge but because of that ''B3'', they rejected her
    That's disgraceful, with the relatively small number of people who look at their papers the amount of glaring errors is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

BrightEyes wrote:

6 A's, what does she want to do?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

That's disgraceful, with the relatively small number of people who look at their papers the amount of glaring errors is appalling.

I know. A mate of mine got a B3 in Construction Studies. When they handed him the plastic yoke with everything on it, he had 96%. The supervising department guy was called, and it's being given a look over for free. Luckily, he got his course anyway.

Advertisement