Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic: Insurance Loading

Options
  • 27-08-2007 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Has anyone encountered this phenomenon where insurance companies add an extra €600 onto insurance premiums when the car is a Honda Civic and the driver a fella under 25?

I hear the logic behind it is that the Civic's are almost by definition a boy-racer car.

Hope not... I'm looking to buy a civic in the next few months!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not so much that they're massively fast, it's more that lots of people seem to either steal or crash them, sometimes both!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Is it a vtec model?Ive owned both vtec and non vtec and neither seemed to be stupidly loaded,my premium rose only €100 if even that from a 1.4 to 1.6 and only €72 at renewel onto an Itr and im under 25

even 1.4's are driven by people that tend to crash. performance doesn't come into it. it's down to stats.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Above and beyond the image, for the insurance companies, I've been told it's down to how easy they are to steal by mindless scum. Indeed given the demographic we're talking about they're stupidly easy to steal*. I was shocked how simple it was when a mate who's a guard showed me. That in turn is not helped by the average owner who spends 800 quid on a stereo and 19.99 on a bright yellow wheel lock usually citing the moronic nay retarded statement " ah sure if they want it, they'll take it". When anyone comes out with that statement, it makes my blood boil.

*That goes for a lot of the Jap stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

But the 1997 model onwards was fitted with an immobiliser wasnt it? That hardley makes them easy to steal?

• Advertisement

I don't think they're any easier than other japanese cars to steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The new models don't appear to have any significant loading. I'm only paying €100 more than I was paying on my old car despite having another 35 or so bhp and the dreaded VTEC.
    I'm 24 btw.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But the 1997 model onwards was fitted with an immobiliser wasnt it? That hardley makes them easy to steal?
    AFAIR the imports weren't. They're loaded because of that. Good point though, I suppose we need to define which model the OP is talking about. As Stephen above notes the newer models aren't loaded as much.
    colm_mcm wrote:
    I don't think they're any easier than other japanese cars to steal.
    Honda's in general are ridiculously easy to get into and steal, especially with the older models. As I said you would be shocked how easy. I was. In the US they're always in the top five most nicked cars. Some of the other Japanese manufacturers have a similar problem. Now I'm talking about the older models here. The Japanese were a good bit behind the Europeans on the security front. Cultural differences I suppose, as there's much less car crime in Japan. You see that with imports. They almost never have alarms fitted.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Honda's have a few contributing factors.

1) Genuine Honda parts are usually more expensive then say a Ford and the kock on to repair costs.
    2) They tend to have more BHP then an engine of the same size (therefor they are classed 1 grade higher)
    3) Then there was the old chestnut of the Jap import Civics that were notorously easy to steal. Newer models are a lot harder to get.

Advertisement