Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do I have 2 boot options?

• 27-08-2007 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

I cant figure out why I have 2 boot options linking to the 1 XP partition, i've took a look at my boot.ini file and it contains the following -
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /FASTDETECT  /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Would anyone have any idea how this is happening or how I could get rid of 1?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Where do you see the two boot options? The 'default' line is just saying that there is no multiple option and only one partition. The '[operating systems]' line then just describes the option there is to choose (or, rather, not choose, considering there is only one option).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Kevster wrote:
    Where do you see the two boot options? The 'default' line is just saying that there is no multiple option and only one partition. The '[operating systems]' line then just describes the option there is to choose (or, rather, not choose, considering there is only one option).

Thats the problem im having, theres only one option in the boot.ini file but when I boot up the machine I have 2 options (sorry I wasn't clear). Is there any reason that this could be happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hmmmm, go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced; and then, under 'Startup and Recovery', click 'Settings'. You may be able to sort it out from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Or else there is an option in msconfig to check your boot paths.

Start > Run > msconfig

Look at the Boot Tab and there should be the option to "Check Boot Paths" If there is an error it will rectify it.

It should look something like this pic below:

msconfig.gif

Kevster wrote:
    Hmmmm, go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced; and then, under 'Startup and Recovery', click 'Settings'. You may be able to sort it out from there.

I had a look through there earlier and I couldn't see anything, all I noticed is that I have no default OS and there is no entries in the drop-down, I could get rid of the time to display OS list but I hate not being able to figure out the problem, my only other option is clicking edit to view the boot.ini.

I may as well set the time to 0.
    Thanks for the help

• Advertisement

Soundman wrote:
    Or else there is an option in msconfig to check your boot paths.

Start > Run > msconfig

Look at the Boot Tab and there should be the option to "Check Boot Paths" If there is an error it will rectify it.

It should look something like this pic below:

msconfig.gif

I just gave that a shot, msconfig in run isn't bringing up anything, I had a look at the processes and when I hit enter in the run box msconfig appears in the list for around a second then disappears.

Strange that msconfig isn't working. Run a scan for viruses and spyware and see what comes up then try that suggestions again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

colly10 wrote:
    Thats the problem im having, theres only one option in the boot.ini file but when I boot up the machine I have 2 options (sorry I wasn't clear). Is there any reason that this could be happening?

It sounds like someone tried to reinstall or repair an installation and installed into a different partition, which would make the system think it was dual booting.

Can you start the machine with either option?
    Maybe you are dual booting with the same OS?

It sounds like someone tried to reinstall or repair an installation and installed into a different partition, which would make the system think it was dual booting.

Can you start the machine with either option?
    Maybe you are dual booting with the same OS?

Ye im definitely dual booting the same OS, but both boot choices are looking at the one partition, is there any command I can use to get rid of 1?
    Thanks

colly10 wrote:
    Ye im definitely dual booting the same OS, but both boot choices are looking at the one partition, is there any command I can use to get rid of 1?
    Thanks

Did you run any scans yet?

• Advertisement

If msconfig isn't running then there are definitely viruses afoot.

Taken from another site:

Greetings --

If the application is opening briefly and then immediately
    closing, the type of behavior you describe, which also often applies
    to Taskmgr.exe and Regedit.exe, is typical behavior of more than one
    virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

W32.Klez
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

W32.Yaha
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.c@mm.html

W32.Spybot.Worm
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the
    Spybot mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose
    definitions aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free
    on-line scanners to double-check your system.

Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

McAfee Security - FreeScan
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

Advertisement