Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whos the best to check a car in UK prior to purchase?

Options
  • 27-08-2007 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭

I need a mechanic in the UK to check out a car - to be sure to be sure.

Location of car unknown at the moment.

The AA?
    Anyone any idea of cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

I've used the RAC before. Found them to be very good. Link: http://www.rac.co.uk/web/vehiclechecks/examination/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I went with Dekra VI, www.dekra-vi.co.uk

Cost me €400 for the top check, I found them to be very thorough though they did discourage me from buying the car as they were quite negative; I still bought it though as it was a good price, something which they didnt take into consideration...

... I would reccomend them but perhaps next time I would go for one of the cheaper tests as all you really need to know is, does it drive, is anything falling off it, is it two cars chopped together; are the pics of it not true to its current condition etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

My boyfriend had a car checked out in Scotland by the AA -
    Cost him about €250

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

I went with Dekra as well. I got the cheapest check. It's a 133-point check that worked out at around €200. Gave me a good bit of comfort but the check was pretty much all positive. Apparently the AA outsource checks on 'performance cars' - your guess on how this is defined is as good as mine :confused: - to Dekra.

Good luck with it - and make sure that if you are looking to buy that you get some form of check done.

Advertisement