Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin nuvi 660 - FM Transmitter.

Options
  • 28-08-2007 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Messaged mathias but thought I'd spread my question around. It's simple. How do I find the "switch" to get the FM transmitter going? (Its an ingenious idea to have one's car radio act as the audio output for the 660 - upping the volume for one.) The specs have it included in the 660and also has the cd that comes with the unit. I've tried everything as per the manual to no avail. Help please - and thanks in anticipation. Regards, Michael r. ps A great unit - very pleased generally but looking forward to the next map update - Jan 2008 I believe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Dont have my 660 in front of me but have done it myself.. you have to select a free station FM on your radio. I think you then go to the display option in the menu and look for audio output .enter the same frequency as your free staion on your radio and change the option for output from unit to radio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

dak wrote:
    Dont have my 660 in front of me but have done it myself.. you have to select a free station FM on your radio. I think you then go to the display option in the menu and look for audio output .enter the same frequency as your free staion on your radio and change the option for output from unit to radio

Yep that should do you. They are a great unit alright, cheap considering the amount of features on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ronan.michael@g

dak wrote:
    Thank you, dak , for reply. Very quick! Satnav - where I purchased the 660 - tell me I'd need the 670 garmin to get the fm tx facility. How do you do it on the 660? The good lady at satnev.ie tells me it does'nt necessarily work in every car - distance of car aerial from the garmin plus possible interference from both the car and outside sources eg other fm transmissions taking over your choice of listening frequency. Glad to get any advice you can give other than change the 660 for a 670!! Regards Michael r. ps My 660 has no audio output button as far as I can see. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place although I don't think so -- I've tried EVERYTHING!! PPS: In the display option in the menu I only get 5 options:-- Auto; Backlight timeout; Touch screen; Splash screen; Screenshot. No where does it mention audio output. What model and version are you using and where do you find that info - at the rear of the unit? Thanks again and sorry for longwinded letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Hello ronan.michael@g ,
    Didnt get your message , but anyway , check the model of the 660 you bought , the original euro ones dont have the FM transmitter functionality because when they were originally released it was illegal in most euro countries , but now they do , so the spec sheets all list it , but it may not be available depending on when and where you bought it.

If its one that didnt include the function , then there is no transmitter physically in there so no sw upgrade will help.

You can hook up an fm transmitter from the headphone output though if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ronan.michael@g

mathias wrote:
    Hello ronan.michael@g ,
    Didnt get your message , but anyway , check the model of the 660 you bought , the original euro ones dont have the FM transmitter functionality because when they were originally released it was illegal in most euro countries , but now they do , so the spec sheets all list it , but it may not be available depending on when and where you bought it.

If its one that didnt include the function , then there is no transmitter physically in there so no sw upgrade will help.

You can hook up an fm transmitter from the headphone output though if that helps.
    Thanks Mathias - and your right on all fronts. Phoned Garmin -uk branch - this morning. I should have bought the Garmin nuvi 660FM model - did'nt think to look - damn damn damn! Bit late now, I wonder, to go back to the seller and do a deal? Satnav.ie - a good company , in Ireland, and reputable. Might'nt be worth the bother. Do you find it any way useful or is it more a "nice thing" to have? Do you use it much? It would have cost extra too. Ah,well. Its all a learning curve although, at 70 yrs old ,you'd think I'd have learnt something by now>! Regards and thanks for all your help. Michael r. ps Where can I go look at this FM transmitter you mentioned?

Thats a bit unfortunate ronan.michael. If its any consellation its not a vital function of the 660. You still have a good unit even if it doesn't have all the frills. If you don't have the traffic receiver either it would only be of use in the UK and europe....there are no traffic avoidance broadcasters in ireland

DAK

Advertisement