Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireworks

Options
  • 28-08-2007 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

What would happen if kids let off fireworks(large rockets) underneath planes coming in to land say near alsaa? Have any pilots had probs with this before? A rocket could reach the height of planes coming in over alsaa or sportslink. I ask because i saw some kids letting off fireworks near here tonight but no planes were around at time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

never had any trouble with rockets, but ive had to avoid a few kites before. someone had a kite up at about 450ft and i had to avoid it pretty quickly (rotar craft) the main problem that i have is actually birds. Eagles to be specific. They really think they own the skies and they wont move even if you are heading straight for them.and if you fly under them they tend to dive which isnt very helpful at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

What would happen if kids let off fireworks(large rockets) underneath planes coming in to land say near alsaa? Have any pilots had probs with this before? A rocket could reach the height of planes coming in over alsaa or sportslink. I ask because i saw some kids letting off fireworks near here tonight but no planes were around at time.
    You want to try it, don't you?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Plug wrote:
    You want to try it, don't you?
    :D

My exact thinking.....

...setting off rockets in close proximity to an airport is EXTREMELY dangerous. the ALSAA is very close to the approach. Such behavior should NOT be encouraged...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

You could have someone's eye out with them rockets. Luckily they are completely banned in Ireland so we are all safe.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't recommend firing rockets at aeroplanes, that's aeroplanes. There is no risk to carpenters tools from rockets.

Beside firing rockets at aeroplanes these days is called terrorism and frankly if you did it to me. I would be terrified.

Joking aside, any caught doing any such thing would face jail time at least. IT WOULD BE TAKEN VERY SERIOUSLY INDEED!

There is no real danger to the aircraft as such, although ingesting an rocket might not do an engine much good. The main danger is that the pilots would be blinded temporarily by an exploding firework and quite simply crash as a result. That is a real risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

cp251 wrote:
    ....The main danger is that the pilots would be blinded temporarily by an exploding firework and quite simply crash as a result. That is a real risk.

Especially if the rocket is a marine anti-collision flare which explodes "white" and will certainly make a bags of your night vision.

Some idiots think that the expiry dates on these flares means that you must use them on Halloween :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Well I live in the approach path for 26(active 90% of the time) of eicm and at halloween fireworks are always let off at places in the flight path.... I presume it is shut down for the night because no planes ever fly in on halloween night, commercial or private...

Darragh

Advertisement