Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staffordshire bull terrier

• 28-08-2007 3:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hello i am new on this forum i am from galway and am looking to buy a staffie could anyone helpme to find one near enuf to galway??also can u get american pitbull terriers in ireland??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Why buy when you can rescue & save a life?...

Look here; http://www.egar.org/ before buying a dog. They're out in Galway too!.

I was in the market for a Staffie for a few months, and shirked the idea of a rescue from the people here on this forum until I was put in touch with the guys over on www.dogsindistress.org and www.egar.org where I found 'Jericho' my now 13 week old male staffy.

As regards the American Pit Bull, I'm not entirely sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Roarty-07

nice is that all the dogs they have on their site or do they have more?? do u hav ne pics of jericho???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

You could check out www.irishanimals.com too, dunno if they have any staffies at the moment but I know I've seen some on that site in the past looking for homes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi there,

yes, I have lots of Staffies, Staffie x and APBT but I do strict Hc's before and after as well, as I need to ensure the dogs will end up in the right hands :).

Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Roarty-07

oh yeah dats fair enuf i wud b lookin 4 a new pup rather than an older dog if u hav ne new pups?? where abouts in galway r u located??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Roarty-07 wrote:
    oh yeah dats fair enuf i wud b lookin 4 a new pup rather than an older dog if u hav ne new pups?? where abouts in galway r u located??

Don't rule out an older dog yet.

Only reason I did was because it was very important that our Staffy would take to our cat from the word go.

My sis-in-law fosters Staffies all the time, and the older one's just make the most wonderful pets too, without all the chewing and house wrecking that comes with a puppy!...

ie, let someone else do the hard work for ya ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Agreed mairt-the older staffs are great and usually so chilled out...and always the ones to be put down..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

We rescued our staffie X when she was 3 and she's been an absolutely fantastic dog, can't fault her .... ( well except for the fact that she's a terrier so anything smaller than her is fair game ...sparrows, flies, spiders, squirrels etc).

As the others have said please consider adopting an older staffie there are so many being PTS .

As for the cat thing, ours is one of those that sees a cat as has to have it come hell or high water ... however we owned a cat and at first we had to use stair gates so the cat could get away if needs be, and we had a few hairy moments with the dog having said cat in its mouth, but after a lot of patience and hard work we were finally able to have them in the same room without all out war (sadly our cat had to be PTS due to kidney trouble and dementia), but it proved that even the hardened cat chasers can be reformed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 philly.dang

hi i am from dublin and want to know if there is any staff breeders around and have pups for sale with papers thanks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 enda1404

Snip again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

The thread is nearly 3 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DryBlanket

Hi,

Need a bit of advice here.

I was entering a restaurant in Dublin at the weekend and a gentleman was sitting outside with his SBT. Although he later told me the dog has never been anything but docile the dog growled angrily and made several attempts to bite me. It succeeded in ripping my clothes but luckily that was as close as it got. I have to admit is was terrifying.

He let it slip that the dog had been bred to fight by a previous owner but got dumped.

I can probably trace the gentleman as he seemed to know the staff there by name.

Should I trace him and have the dog reported? Or should I trust the gentleman and let it go?

any advice welcome

DB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just wondering, if you were entering a restaurant, how did you have time to find all this info out? Did you stop to talk to the man who had the dog? Was the dog on a lead?

Im bit confused, who do you want to trace and you say he knew the dog by name, but of course he would if he had the dog??:confused:

I talked to the man afterwards. He took the dog away and came back to apologise..

When I said he knew the staff there by name I meant the people who worked in the restaurant (sorry for confusion).

Dog was on a lead which was on the leg of the gentlemans chair. Everything could have been so different if it hadnt been. Obviously the dog was not muzzled.

Havent relaxed in the two days since to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

DryBlanket wrote: »
    I talked to the man afterwards. He took the dog away and came back to apologise..

When I said he knew the staff there by name I meant the people who worked in the restaurant (sorry for confusion).

Dog was on a lead which was on the leg of the gentlemans chair. Everything could have been so different if it hadnt been. Obviously the dog was not muzzled.

Havent relaxed in the two days since to be honest.

You have to assess whether or not you think the man will be able to take proper care of that dog (as in keep it out of trouble and advance its' training now that he knows it's liable to bite)... You can make this call better than anyone on here because you spoke with him... If the dog was from a bad background and this man is trying to make him an acceptable 'member of society' then maybe he should be given that chance. What do YOU think??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry thought you meant the dog when you said "staff".

Did the dog injure you in any way? break the skin etc? If not then id leave it be, if you arent hurt then theres not much to report really.
    If the dog had a history of being used for fighting then god knows what startled him but maybe have a word with the owner and ensure he muzzles the dog and keeps it under better control.

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry thought you meant the dog when you said "staff".

Did the dog injure you in any way? break the skin etc? If not then id leave it be, if you arent hurt then theres not much to report really.
    If the dog had a history of being used for fighting then god knows what startled him but maybe have a word with the owner and ensure he muzzles the dog and keeps it under better control.

I dont believe that escaping without injury means there is nothing much to report! This unmuzzled SBT tried to attack me. For no reason.

Any owner will give me whatever assurances I ask for. They will find out what I want to hear and let me hear it. Anything to make sure the dog is not reported. And that is what this gentleman did.

But what is the best advice to do in a situation such as this? Can an SBT actually be trained to not do something like this again? Or is it a case that zero tolerance is the best approach and once an SBT acts like this once they should never be trusted again?

For the record I do not hate dogs. Some experiences in my youth mean I dont trust them but I do not hate them. I dont want to see this dog put down but I need some peace of mind about the whole thing. If the dog can be so trained and I can be given proof of the training then I think that might do me!

thanks everyone for all the replies and help

DB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Mr. Plow

If the dog can be so trained and I can be given proof of the training then I think that might do me.

Are you going to visit the owner to oversee the training? It's unfortunate what has happened and that you're upset but I don't think it's up to you to police the issue. If I were you I wouldn't be inclined to report it, however I would have sternly reprimanded the man for not keeping his dog in check at the time.

I dont believe that escaping without injury means there is nothing much to report! This unmuzzled possibly agressive dog tried to attack me. For no reason.

Any owner will give me whatever assurances I ask for. They will find out what I want to hear and let me hear it. Anything to make sure the dog is not reported. And that is what this gentleman did.

But what is the best advice to do in a situation such as this? Can a possibly agressive dog actually be trained to not do something like this again? Or is it a case that zero tolerance is the best approach and once a possibly agressive dog acts like this once they should never be trusted again?

For the record I do not hate dogs. Some experiences in my youth mean I dont trust them but I do not hate them. I dont want to see this dog put down but I need some peace of mind about the whole thing. If the dog can be so trained and I can be given proof of the training then I think that might do me!

thanks everyone for all the replies and help

DB
    Sorry you had such a bad experience. I fixed your post for you there. The breed is irrelevant. :)

In answer to your question, yes, dogs who display agression for whatever reason can be helped.

I find it hard to believe that this happens regularly with the dog, if the staff knew him and him attacking other customers was a regular occurance, surely he would be refused service.

How did the dog make several attempts at biting you, if you were just passing? How did the owner react at the time? What exactly did the dog do, did it lunge at you or snap around your ankles? Did the owner reprimand the dog at the time? If he came back to apologise for your distress (and you are of course entitled to an apology) I would be thinking that he will make sure it doesn't happen again. If he didn't care, he'd likely have just laughed it off.

How would you expect to get proof of the dogs training?

Very little can be done if you reported it. It's your word against his really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Whispered wrote: »
    I fixed your post for you there. The breed is irrelevant. :)
    That's just a little bit patronising ;) Yes the breed is irrelevant, but had it been a labrador or whatever the OP would have written that.

To the OP: It seems the owner of the dog was mannerly and appologetic and therefore it could be assumed that he could be an honourable person. He may not have had the dog very long and was not expecting this from it. It could also be that the dog could have maybe seen some sort of resemblence in you to some not so nice individual in it's past. If you've had some bad experiences with dogs and were wary it, consciously or otherwise the dog may also have picked up on this and became wary of you in return. I would give the owner the benefit of the doubt in this case. Had he been rude or dismissive of you I would be advising you otherwise.

• Advertisement

That's just a little bit patronising ;) Yes the breed is irrelevant, but had it been a labrador or whatever the OP would have written that.
    So is a wink ;)

Dryblanket specifically asked if a Staffordshire Bull Terrier can be trained not to act a certain way. I was simply pointing out to the him/her that yes, it can, as can any dog. The breed is irrelevant. The fact that the dog is possibly agressive is not irrelevant. I even put a little smiley face in there to try make sure I was not taken up the wrong way. though obviously you decided to take offense on behalf of Dryblanket. I'm sure s/he will be very grateful.

As I said though, the main thing in my opinion is that the owner
    came back to apologise for your distress (and you are of course entitled to an apology) I would be thinking that he will make sure it doesn't happen again. If he didn't care, he'd likely have just laughed it off.

So is a wink ;)

Dryblanket specifically asked if a Staffordshire Bull Terrier can be trained not to act a certain way.

DB has said though that s/he does not trust dogs due to some incidents in his youth, as a person not seeking contact with dogs surely he wouldn't have a huge amount of knowledge of training dogs and whether or not there is a difference in one potentially agressive dog to another potentially agressive dog of a different breed so was covering the fact that (to his knowledge) the breed may have been relevant. :)

Exactly, so how would someone find out that breed is or not relevant without someone saying so. :confused:

You picking my tone up wrong is hardly my fault.

Exactly, so how would someone find out that breed is or not relevant without someone saying so. :confused:
    Yes you did say so and rightly so, I just felt it wasn't necessary to fix his post for him into the bargain.

And I feel it unnecessary for you to post 3 times afterwards to tell me how wrong you think I am. First time fair enough, I explained how you picked it up wrong. Second and third time telling me how wrong I am? Probably easier for you to just report the post which offended you so. It's not really your place to tell other posters how to respond to a post, thats what the moderators are for. (Irony :pac:)

I tried to answer the question, you picked my tone up wrong. That's your problem really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

"IF" that poor dog was breed to fight it shouldn't have been put into a situation to fail. He should have been muzzled. That owner wouldn't fill me with confidence. A dog which was breed for fighting has got to be handled by experianced dog people and not left unmuzzled in public places.

I agree; if the dog was agressive then for it's sake it should be muzzled, we can only hope the owner realises this and does the right thing.

Fighting dogs are very rarely human agressive and the new owner may have thought the dog ok with people. I think the fact that he apologised might indicate that he is trying his best.

DB I wouldn't bother following this up any more to be honest. It will be a lot of hassle for you and I think from the reaction of the owner (removing the dog from the situation and finding you to apologise) it is likely it wont happen again.

If you do follow it up, it will be a case of your word against his and what will you gain from it anyway. I can understand you are feeling shaken, most people would, but it seems the owner did what he could and i think we have no reason to suspect him of doing anything less in the future.

Is it an area you regularly visit? If you are both local, maybe you could see how the dog is the next time you see it. If it's the same case, then I would consider reporting the owner.

Hi all,

Thanks again to you all for the advice and help.

I couldnt leave the matter as it was. I had no peace of mind. The dog lunged at my groin. My shirt which was hanging out was ripped. My trousers were ripped from the pocket down to near my knee. The dog made for me before i even saw it so 'sensing my fear' could not have been part of it!.

I made contact with the owner and I found him very genuine. If he had not been understanding then I would have had no choice and would have reported the dog to An Garda. I believe my statement plus the statements of witnesses plus my shredded clothes would have led to only one outcome.

We made an agreement. The agreement states that...

1) Owner gives me a letter (along with a copy of the dog licence and picture of the offending dog) stating that he will never again have the dog in public without a muzzle or a leash.
    2) Owner takes the dog to training (he only has the dog 5 months (abandoned) and does not know its history).
    3) Dog trainer to provide me with a letter saying that he "reasonably believes the dog does not pose a threat to the public"
    4) The guy offered me a bit of cash but I turned it down as that is not what this is about.
    5) We arrange to meet in a safe enviornment (for me) after the training and we see if my presence triggers the same reaction.

As I said - I dont want the dog harmed but I do need peace of mind. I promised the owner that if I see the dog without a muzzle or hear of any further incident that I will make a complaint to An Garda. I imagine such a complaint would be treated differently when one has signed a letter acknowledging a previous act of aggression.

A lot of effort on my part unfortunately but I felt the owner was worth it. Its probably as much peace of mind as I can hope for without having the dog PTS.

All I can do now is hope I have read the owner right.

again, thanks all

DB (still distinguishably male thank God)

The dog lunged at my groin. My shirt which was hanging out was ripped. My trousers were ripped from the pocket down to near my knee. The dog made for me before i even saw it so 'sensing my fear' could not have been part of it!.

I made contact with the owner and I found him very genuine. If he had not been understanding then I would have had no choice and would have reported the dog to An Garda.
    I think you both have been very understanding (you in particular of course but I'm glad the owner was willing to play ball) Well done on a very fair outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

if the dog had've bitten you, there'd be no question of whether to report it or not. The only reason it didn't was because it got your clothes not your flesh. It tried to bite/maul you. Apologetic owner or not, he was being illegal and irresponsible by not muzzling it. It's some chance to take that it won't grab some child that happens to be wearing the wrong colour clothes or whatever it is that sets the dog off, cause the owner obviously doesn't know what it is. So the owner said it was totally out of character for the dog? Where have we heard that before? Bottom line for me is that it would have attacked you if it hadn't been restrained.. Fair play to you for the lengths you're going to. It is very generous of you. It does however seem even more irresponsible of the owner, considering he only has the dog 5 months. Hope it works out for you.

Advertisement