Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staffordshire bull terrier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Chopper77

Hi all.

Just back to the origianl point of this thread even though its years old.

I'm looking to get a staffy. One thats a couple/few years old. I want to get one from a pound. Can anyone recommend any places or links online ?

Thanks

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

You should try contacting EGAR here on the boards, she runs the only bull breed rescue in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Or A Dog's Life - lots and lots of Staffies looking for good homes, all taken from the pound before they were put to sleep.

http://www.adogslife.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85&Itemid=54

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Super Staffy chap looking for a home

http://www.dogsindistressforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6729&sid=ce2b8e5e079626843ff0593e7a6bd4b6

He is a big lad but a fab fella!! Must be homed with another dog thou as he was homed on his own and was depressed so he defo needs canine company!! How cute!! Just love this lads face if my house wasnt full id have him in a shot! Love my chunky boys!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

cjf wrote: »
    Super Staffy chap looking for a home

http://www.dogsindistressforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6729&sid=ce2b8e5e079626843ff0593e7a6bd4b6

He is a big lad but a fab fella!! Must be homed with another dog thou as he was homed on his own and was depressed so he defo needs canine company!! How cute!! Just love this lads face if my house wasnt full id have him in a shot! Love my chunky boys!!

I was just thinking the same thing, how I wish I had more space for more staffies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

There is a rescue centre for dogs in Galway called MADRA, go to madra.ie.

They currently have a lovely little male staffie who needs a new home, he is 10 months old. I believe EGAR deal specifically with staffies also but Im not 100% sure but these are both based in Galway.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I had an American pit bull x Staffie and I can say is they need 100% commitment to training.
    By nature they like to compete and get the upper hand and are tenacious in that they wont let anything go until they have won..
    i dont know if that was the pit bull side or the staffie side of our dog, but she became so determined to be the top dog over me that it was no longer safe to keep her.:(:(
    Beautiful animals but so so strong, so lots of control is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Bubs99 wrote: »
    There is a rescue centre for dogs in Galway called MADRA, go to madra.ie.

They currently have a lovely little male staffie who needs a new home, he is 10 months old. I believe EGAR deal specifically with staffies also but Im not 100% sure but these are both based in Galway.

Good Luck.

Ya MADRA is out Connemara way about an hour from Galway City and EGAR is near Loughrea in East Galway. EGAR is the only bull breed rescue in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Hope this helps ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056055643

EGAR

'Gizmo'

4 yo Male Blue ABPT
    EGAR wrote: »
    p897710.jpg

p897708.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

sligopark wrote: »
    Hope this helps ...

'Gizmo'

4 yo Male Blue ABPT

They are looking for a Staffie, not an APBT which is a very different dog. Although EGAR is still an excellent place to start looking for a Staffie. I've had no dealings with them but if I was every to consider getting any type of a bull breed they'd be first on the list.

They are looking for a Staffie, not an APBT which is a very different dog.

sorry not very knowledgeable regarding bull breeds ... will take a check through a few sites now ;)

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to have a good look through all those links tomorrow

Just one question (probably been asked a million times on here) Which sex have the better temperament etc.. or are they pretty much the same ?? I've only ever had experience of a cross pitbull/staffy, though she was very hyperactive and got jealous when she wasn't the centre of attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'd say they are both the same, or very similar. Hyperactivity and jealousy are exercise and behaviour issues that can be worked on, so if you're exercising and training properly from the start, you should have few problems on that count.

I found this forum brilliant for training advice (and sometimes support after a particularly tiring day!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chopper77 wrote: »
    Just one question (probably been asked a million times on here) Which sex have the better temperament etc.. or are they pretty much the same ?? I've only ever had experience of a cross pitbull/staffy, though she was very hyperactive and got jealous when she wasn't the centre of attention
    Hyperactivity can be exercised out of them. A hyperactive Staffy is one who's not getting walked enough. They're lazy beasts really, so a good 40 minute walk every day will usually keep them chilled out.

Jealousy/ADD :D is common enough in Staffs. They love their family and they love being petted and stroked. It's a dominance matter and you can very quickly find your Staff demanding your attention by plonking herself down on top of your feet or constantly nuzzling your hand with their head, like a cat. When Darcey was allowed on the couch, she also had a habit of climbing on top of you when she wanted attention.

All you really need to do is ensure that attention is given on your terms and not on the dog's terms. Another poster mentioned the NILIF technique to me, which seems to work quite well. NILIF - Nothing in life is free. Basically make your dog do something to deserve attention. So make them sit, down or do *something* in order to work for your attention. Actions which demand your attention (like walking into your hand) should be discouraged and the dog given a command before they get a stroke.

Thanks everyone that helped me with links and stuff. I'm getting a staffy on Monday. I seen him on the Dogs Life facebook page. I was out with him during the week and he was a great dog, so I'll get him next Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Thanks everyone that helped me with links and stuff. I'm getting a staffy on Monday. I seen him on the Dogs Life facebook page. I was out with him during the week and he was a great dog, so I'll get him next Monday

Congrats! You won't regret it. I've had the pleasure of living with GSDs, Daschunds, Irish Water Spaniels and Siamese cats and have friends with Basset hounds, Dalmatians, Corgis and Rotties. In my eyes (which are becoming increasingly more biased by the day) the Staffy is in a league of its own.

I've got mine about a year and a half and my mind is made up that its the breed for me. I just took a break from chasing her around the house to check this forum :)

As Seamus said, you've just taken on a dog-cat hybrid in terms of attention (with the sound effects of a piglet) but if you can handle that you won't look back.

You'll get some nasty looks unfortunately, which got to me a lot more than I thought they would. The best advice I got was become an amateur breed ambassador. I've changed the opinion of a couple of people we've met and that out-weighs all the bad IMO.

You better flood this place with pics too.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Brilliant - best of luck with your new fella. Staffies are fantastic, if I had more space, I'd have an army of them. Well done on rescuing too! Make sure to post some pics up here after he arrives :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

They are looking for a Staffie, not an APBT which is a very different dog.

i have a staffy and an APBT and to be honest i find absolutely no deference in the way they act, react, play, anything. the APBT can do more like jump higher and run faster and last longer but thats down to the leg size mainly. personality-wise, no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

i have a staffy and an APBT and to be honest i find absolutely no deference in the way they act, react, play, anything. the APBT can do more like jump higher and run faster and last longer but thats down to the leg size mainly. personality-wise, no difference.

No experience of APBT's but assumed there was more difference as a lot of people recommend Staffies but no-one really recommends APBT's. Perhaps just because they are relatively uncommon then?

tbh the APBT is actualy getting more popular by the day. i take time telling people who's interested all about the breed and they love my dogs and i'm seeing more and more people leaning towards them. i'v seen more pitbulls in the last year than i did for years put together. people do reccommend the staffy because they assosiate the pit with bad thoughts. like angel/devil! the pits can be a bit more hyper at times but my staffy can match and raise my pit when it comes to hyperness! especially when they meet a new person for the first time! they love making new friends! when i'v friends over they get hyper saying hi. they calm down and go to bed. someone will go toilet or outside for a fag and when they come back into the room its like they havent seen that person in years!! most dangerous thing about my pit is his tail. he knocks glasses off the table with it its so strong! i'd recommend both tho! they act the exact same. what one does the other is not far behind doint the exact same thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

''most dangerous thing about my pit is his tail''

:D Dito , Mine too , Boots tail is like a whip :P Gotta love them tho, so much love to give :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 angelicaoife

Hi Guys,

Im hoping I can get some advice from you please. Ive agreed to dogsit my neighbours staffordshire bull terrier next week. He's a gorgeous dog, a total pet, but I'm a bit apprehensive about walking him without a muzzle.
    As far as I know, the staffie is one of the dogs that is required by law to have a muzzle. However, whenever I've been walking around town (I'm from Galway) I've seen others out with their staffies (and other RB dogs) and they don't have their dogs muzzled.
    To be honest, I'd prefer not to muzzle the dog. He's only a young lad, just over a year old, and I've heard its uncomfortable for them.
    Im just wondering if their are any other staffie owners out there who could share some of their thoughts on this. I've dogsit for other friends before, including one lab mix that was an absolute gentle beast who nearly pulled my arm off. Im fairly confident I'll be able to control the staffie, who really is a sweetheart. I'm just wary about dog wardens and the like.
    All advice appreciated!!!
    Thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Have you asked the dogs owner? By law you should muzzle him. Better safe than sorry.

i HATE muzzles and i used to refuse point blank to wear them on my dogs till it got me a MASSIVE fine or a few days in prison. still cant raise the money so not looking good. now i dont go on the main road without them, even though i dont take a lead with me to the forest or field. the dog gets used to them. they dont know what it is. but if he never wore one before you'l have an exciting walk ahead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

You are better off muzzling him, saves the hassle. Use a muzzle that dosent close his mouth completely, use a basketville they can open there mouths fully but stil covered by the muzzle.. Maybe then he wont freak out when your walking him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 angelicaoife

Hey guys,

thanks a million for all the advice. I'll double check with the owner and see if he has a muzzle. I just don't want any problems while the owner is away, and Sods Law would be that my first day out with the pooch, the first person Id run into is the dog warden.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A Staffie or Pit in a muzzle is a very, very sad sight.

There's not a snowballs chance in hell I'd ever muzzle my guys - sure how would they lick anyone!.

Advertisement