Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The manoeuvres

Options
  • 28-08-2007 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Sorry for posting another thread - I just have a couple of questions about the 3-point turn and reversing round a corner.

1. With the 3 point turn is it allowed to turn the steering wheel before you release the clutch? My instructor said it's fine to get a 'head start' but Ive heard from two other people (who just passed) that you're not supposed to turn the wheel until the wheels are actually moving?

2. With reversing round the corner, are you supposed to keep the same distance from the pavement at all points during the reverse? I find that sometimes I go a little close and then pull out again, ultimately ending up around a foot from the pavement.

Thank you!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ellscurr wrote:
    1. With the 3 point turn is it allowed to turn the steering wheel before you release the clutch? My instructor said it's fine to get a 'head start' but Ive heard from two other people (who just passed) that you're not supposed to turn the wheel until the wheels are actually moving?
    I was always told not to turn the steering wheel unless the wheels are in motion. Perhaps that has changed in recent years?

(It's not called the 3 point turn anymore - it's a 'turnabout' and you may use more than 3 manoeuvres. ;))

ellscurr wrote:
    2. With reversing round the corner, are you supposed to keep the same distance from the pavement at all points during the reverse? I find that sometimes I go a little close and then pull out again, ultimately ending up around a foot from the pavement
    Once you don't hit the kerb you will be OK. The front of the car will obviously swing out a little as you turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 deebert

I just did my test yesterday and

1. for the 3 point turn (turnabout) I turned the steering wheel while stopped. This is what my instructer told me to do and I didn't get any faults for it so I presume its ok.

2. With reversing around the corner as long as you stay on your side of the road and finish the manoeuvre so you're not too far from the kerb (can't remember the actual distance) it'll be grand. If you do hit the kerb just pull back in and start the manoeuvre again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

deebert wrote:
    for the 3 point turn (turnabout) I turned the steering wheel while stopped. This is what my instructer told me to do and I didn't get any faults for it so I presume its ok
    Perhaps it has changed since the pre-power assisted steering days!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's bad practice anyway to turn the wheel while stationary (bad for the tires). The way I was thought to do it for the test is that just before you come to a stop for each step of the turn you should already be turning the wheels for the next step, then stop when the vehicle stops, change gear, start moving again then start turning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

stevenmu wrote:
    The way I was thought to do it for the test is that just before you come to a stop for each step of the turn you should already be turning the wheels for the next step, then stop when the vehicle stops, change gear, start moving again then start turning again.

That's what I was told as well. Just as you're approaching the opposite kerb, start turning the wheel the opposite directionand try and get at least a half turn in before you have to stop. But don't forget you have more than 3 manoeuvres... just don't hit the kerb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

never noticed myself doing this in the test but i was always told by parents/internet etc.. that turning the wheels whilst stationary is bad for the tyres and that makes sense..

you're basically digging them into the road so they'll wear quicker.

Advertisement