Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Password not working - no administrator account

• 28-08-2007 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I haven't used my laptop for a while and I've gone to log onto it this morning (I'm trying to sell it) and it won't accept my password. The blue screen with the user account comes up, I click into it, and it says my password is incorrect. My account is the only one on the computer and as I can't get past this screen I can't access the computer at all.

I also don't have an XP boot disk for the laptop so can't reinstall windows - am I in serious trouble? Any advice greatly appreciated...I'm getting desperate!

PS: It's a HP DV2000.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

When the laptop is booting up tap f8. This will load the laptop into safe mode. Once you get in under the default administrator account go into the control panel and into the users part. Setup a new account without a password so you can use the laptop normaly. Also, try and delete the password for your old account when in there.

IF that fails, get onto hp for a boot disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

If you can get your hands on an ERD (emergency repair disc) use that to boot the machine and there is a tool on it called lock keeper for changing passwords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

if you can't get in as admin from anti's post....

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Anti wrote:
    When the laptop is booting up tap f8. This will load the laptop into safe mode.

Or just press ctrl+alt+del twice on the welcome screen to enable access to the admin account, then reset password as suggested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

tman wrote:
    Or just press ctrl+alt+del twice on the welcome screen to enable access to the admin account, then reset password as suggested

wow, you learn something new.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement