Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Audio Enhancement.

• 28-08-2007 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi Guys - I'm sure this question will probably make some people laugh but am somewhat unclear as to best way forward on this.

I have a 21" HD TV in my bedroom but the sound quality is rubbish, not great even when volume is at 100 - basically I want to boost the audio but am unclear as how I go about achieving this.

I don't have much room to work with so would need some sort of a compact system - I have a DVD player in the room so would not want another one if at all avoidable. Can aybody provide me a "set-up for dummies" guide to achieveing this.

Am holing off on buying PS3 until price drops - bought a HDMI cable from the US for €10 so looking forward to watching blu-ray in all it's glory and playing games in HD.

Off the main point here but when using Tversity with PS3 how do the 2 connect? Is it wireless and if so do I need a wireless router?

Thanks in advance.

EireEV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I saw from your other post that it has a 1440x900 screen is this a computer monitor or an actual TV (make & model number) ?

As there may be volume normalization in the TV menu and this will boost the volume.

Alternatively a simple set of external speakers will suffice if your TV has audio outputs.

Tvsersity will work over any network connection wired or wireless if wired cable access is not possible then a wireless router would be the way to go.

Tversity will transcode material on the fly the PS3 does not support like XviD in AVI's so just be aware that there may be loss of quality in the video if thats your intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Sorry it's a 19" not a 21"

Make & Model number below:

Wharfedale L19T11W-A 19in HD Ready Digital LCD TV.

1440X900 is the actual resolution of the TV above. I presume this is quite good??

But if the audio capability of the TV (2 X 1.5 rms output) is rubbish what difference will hooking up a pair of external speakers make?

On the subject of Tversity how would a wire connection work between PC and PS3?

Thanks for you help.

EireEV

I see that appears to be from the name an LG display which would explain the resolution as those are just re-branded and sold on as various names in other countries. As for the resolution yeah it's fine 720p is just 1280x720 so you can handle that resolution no problem.

It could be the speakers built into it are crap if you had some audio outputs on it you could just plug in a different set of speakers and it will pass the audio out to those. However I believe I have located the manual for the TV and it does not show that the TV has standard RCA audio outputs on it so if that were the case that ends that idea.

Looking into the manual check your TV's menu for an "AVL" entry under the sound section and enable it as this is the volume normalization feature. Also check the "audio mode" setting and try one of the other settings to see if it makes any difference.

For wired network you need;
    A router (example)
    network cable (example)

Plug PC into router with network cable then plug PS3 into router with network cable with default router settings running as a DHCP server it will setup itself automatically (The PS3 may require a network/wizard/setup run through on it's end to tell it to get an IP from a DHCP server).

If you have broadband and your exiting router already has more than one network port you can use that too.

If your broadband router is of the kind with just one network port which is used by the PC then you can plug the existing broadband router into the new one and it will still work providing internet access to anyone else plugged into the new router.

Thanks for all your help to date but I haven't finished picking your brain just yet :)

Yeah the built in speakers on the TV are crap - am thinking of getting some wireless speakers with transmitter - what do you think of this option and are there any such products out there you could point me in the direction of?

At the moment I have my PC connected to the TV via VGA cable for Video (have a VGA switch) and RCA connection for sound - I have a creative SS system hooked up to the pc and am feeding the sound from the headphone jack on it's volume controller to the audio input on the TV. This is boosting the sound but TV doesn't seem to be able to handle this as it makes an awful rumbling noise when, for example, there's a serious action scene in a movie I'm watching. What do you make of this set-up?

On the subject of Tversity and the PS3 I have a DSL router (BB with BT) with only one ethernet port connected to the PC. If I buy the other modem mentioned in your response below how do I connect the two routers as you suggest?

I really want to go wireless as I will have the PS3 either downstairs (PC is upstairs) or in a different room and don't want to have to worry about any cables. Do you know of any wireless router that can be configured to work with BT broadband?

EirEV

Yeah the built in speakers on the TV are crap - am thinking of getting some wireless speakers with transmitter - what do you think of this option and are there any such products out there you could point me in the direction of?

Your problem here is that if the manual I found was correct your TV has no proper audio outputs (bar the headphones) which means that the audio must be piped from whatever device e.g DVD, console, cable TV set top box into the new sound system.

The headphones socket and the creative speakers well not sure could be an imbalance in the volume/treble/bass of the speakers maybe ? Try the settings I mentioned in the tv's setup menu for audio in conjunction with turning down the volume on the TV & try turning the volume up on the speakers instead.
    On the subject of Tversity and the PS3 I have a DSL router (BB with BT) with only one ethernet port connected to the PC. If I buy the other modem mentioned in your response below how do I connect the two routers as you suggest?

The router I linked to does not contain a DSL modem (though you can get such ones) if you buy the the one I linked to then all you have to do is plug the current BT router into one of the ports on the Netgear router and it will route the net connection to any other clients connected to the Netgear router it's as simple as that.

That router also includes wireless support so you could wireless connect to the net through it as well. Be aware that Tversity's video transcoding can be a bit flaky on wireless so it can work out or not.

Another option is to get an all in one such as this Netgear Rangemax which has a very strong wireless signal and contains a built in DSL modem and 4 port router but is pricey and would be more involved in setting up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

EireEV wrote:

I have a creative SS system hooked up to the pc and am feeding the sound from the headphone jack on it's volume controller to the audio input on the TV. This is boosting the sound but TV doesn't seem to be able to handle this as it makes an awful rumbling noise when, for example, there's a serious action scene in a movie I'm watching. What do you make of this set-up?

despite the impedence mismatch, the rumbling sound is as a consequence of overloading the audio input of the TV. the audio input of the TV is not designed to handle the high levels from a headphone output.

however if you turn down the headphone level a bit and turn up the TV it will improve matters (may need a bit of adjusting before you get it right).

consequently there may be a method of using the creative SS system in conjunction with the TV and PC, depending on what model system you have and how it is connected.

Are you positive both of the routers you mention below can be configured to work with BT broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

EireEV wrote:
    I really want to go wireless as I will have the PS3 either downstairs (PC is upstairs) or in a different room and don't want to have to worry about any cables. Do you know of any wireless router that can be configured to work with BT broadband?

The standard BT Broadband modem, while a pretty basic, low-end unit, does follow the standard networking rules and protocols, and so should work with pretty much any router or hub you can get. And standard wireless router should work "out of the box" but just remember turn on your encryption and set a keyphrase for it, otherwise you'll get people stealing your bandwidth and at the very least this could hinder video transmission...

Advertisement