Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Script

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Grovey

we need a good proper pub here. the burnaby is too big and script was not like a good pub with a pub atomsphere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

how is the burnaby too big?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Grovey

how is the burnaby too big?

it is more like a resturant than a pub. i would like a traditional pub nothing like script or the burnaby

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Grovey wrote:
    it is more like a resturant than a pub. i would like a traditional pub nothing like script or the burnaby

If you're looking for traditional, try Danns beside the beachhouse (hoping this public house doesn't close also!)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

i think the burnaby is a grand pub when it busy!

good on match days but needs a bigger screen!

• Advertisement

i think the burnaby is a grand pub when it busy!

good on match days but needs a bigger screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Basil Brush

hi

can i ask what time the burnaby closes at on a sat nite - is it a late opening?

half twelve i think

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Basil Brush

tks - is that the latest opening in greystones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

tks - is that the latest opening in greystones?

Yes, need to go to Bray if you want a later one. Porterhouse is open till 2am Wednesday to Saturday.

Don't rate the Burnaby much as a pub though, has an 'airport lounge' feel about it. And not good at all for watching sport in. Staff are generally quite pleasent though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 mcgiggy

The Burnaby has no atmosphere and could do with being less bright! There is not even a hint of background music on a sat night or fri night....most boringly run pub ever and the screens are tiny and there is only two of them! - The manager behind the bar also gives people the oddest of looks....Script wasnt much better due to the clientele just being absolute scum, and what a bad design for a pub, an L shape! and yes put the bar just where the two walls meet! makes loads of sense!!! Script needs to be knocked down and rebuilt and there was an awful smell in the toilets constantly downstairs in the basement....think there might have been a major sewerage issue there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

mcgiggy wrote: »
    The Burnaby has no atmosphere and could do with being less bright! There is not even a hint of background music on a sat night or fri night....most boringly run pub ever and the screens are tiny and there is only two of them! - The manager behind the bar also gives people the oddest of looks....Script wasnt much better due to the clientele just being absolute scum, and what a bad design for a pub, an L shape! and yes put the bar just where the two walls meet! makes loads of sense!!! Script needs to be knocked down and rebuilt and there was an awful smell in the toilets constantly downstairs in the basement....think there might have been a major sewerage issue there.
    Dont hold back now; let us know what you really think!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Just bought Script. Plan to re-open in Nov, Bar and Grill (New York Sports bar, Steak house Style). Just to let you know. Living in the area too, sucks having to drink in same old bar over and over

Is this still going to plan? Do you have an opening date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭SlinkyToo

Scripts will be reopening soon under new management. Inside information suggests it will be an ex-footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

SlinkyToo wrote: »
    Scripts will be reopening soon under new management. Inside information suggests it will be an ex-footballer.

Stan?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

So what we have to go on with regards to the all new and improved, under new management for Script is:

1. It has 'allegedly' been bought by an ex-footballer
    2. It's going to be an American bar and grill theme
    3. It's 'allegedly' opening in November

If it's going to be a bar and grill theme, the first thing that needs to change is the decor. I drive passed the building most days and I have seen no movement at all. There has been no skip outside it indicate any form of changes to the interior.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens in the coming month or months

SlinkyToo wrote: »
    Footballers really do have more money than sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Script no more

Joliegood wrote: »
    Footballers really do have more money than sense.
    My name is Anthony Doherty and I am taking over Script. Yea it is going to be revamped, and yes more food orientated. No live bands, however no under 21's either so best of both worlds. I plan on opening mid November. Its my father that is the ex footballer, GAA so dont have more money than sense !!!!! It will be a well run local bar with experience staff and a good restaurant and bar food.

LMC wrote: »
    Is this still going to plan? Do you have an opening date?

My name is Anthony Doherty and I am taking over Script. Yea it is going to be revamped, and yes more food orientated. No live bands, however no under 21's either so best of both worlds. I plan on opening mid November. Its my father that is the ex footballer, GAA so dont have more money than sense !!!!! It will be a well run local bar with experience staff and a good restaurant and bar food.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Great to hear that and very best of luck with it. I liked Script when it first opened but it went downhill fast, too loud music (Personally speaking delighted that you won't be having bands - it's too small for them) and dodgy door policy.

Looking forward to it reopening as there are way too few good pubs in Greystones (is that the understatement of the year??;))!

• Advertisement

yeh best of luck Anthony, look forward to it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

I echo what LMC said. The very best of luck with the relaunch

In fairness to Script. When it opened it had one of the best ranges of wines by the glass that I've seen. None of this 250ml screwtop rubbish. It wasn't supported by it's target market (yuppies, dinks and middle class punters) and soon settled for the Wayne Rooney haircuts and Burbery cap brigade. The food was rubbish also. Just stodge! Was in a pub in Corbridge UK last week that had won the Michelin Bib Gourmand for food. Had a few dishes. Wonder why more pubs can't try a bit harder to serve real food at good prices.

Thanks all, considering a pino in the restaurant for Sunday lunch ect any know of a player ????? We are currently running a fine dining restaurant in Wicklow Town, The Bakery, so we will try keep the same level of food, all be it a cheaper, and we will have 8 wines by the glass, from 4.50 up no screwtop 250ml Hammiepeters will be happy to hear. Any suggestions on menu, etc very welcome, after all it's your local guys !!!!!

Thanks all, considering a pino in the restaurant for Sunday lunch ect any know of a player ????? We are currently running a fine dining restaurant in Wicklow Town, The Bakery, so we will try keep the same level of food, all be it a cheaper, and we will have 8 wines by the glass, from 4.50 up no screwtop 250ml Hammiepeters will be happy to hear. Any suggestions on menu, etc very welcome, after all it's your local guys !!!!!
    Sounds fantastic. Can't wait. Will support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

fair play,the very best of luck.
    Any chance that the plasmas would be strictly for sports events and that there'd be one area with no tvs in sight?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Just my quick thoughts re Script as it was;

Negative points:

Some rough clientele, new pubs will always have this as the management are unlikely to have prior knowledge of who should be allowed in. People barred from other pubs in the locality will head there. But then again isn't everyone entitled to a chance? Perhaps have door staff/bouncers in the early days and once everything settles down you could do away with them.

The decor was really strange, I know most people didn't like it.

Congestion (in the early days when the place was busy!) at the bar counter, people couldn't get past when heading to the "far" end.

A really annoying light that shone straight in the window when you sat at the "far" end, which genius came up with that?

Music far too loud.

So all you got to do is,

Make sure the toerags don't get in
    Redocarate the place
    Move the bar
    Let the users of the toilets dry their own hands
    Make sure that light doesn't blind people

My thoughts.......

Change the name.

Certainly change the names of the toilets.

Bigger windows at the front of the building.

Total revamp of the furniture/fittings.

Doors could be changed too. Very heavy and awkward.

No bouncers. Only seem to attract scumbags IMO.

TV behind the bar. Only showing sports events with the exclusion of having horse racing on all day. (Unlike a nearby establishment).

A nice steak dinner. Or curry.

Better use of the upstairs part. The balcony never seemed to be open. Has a fantastic view after all.

Lastly, and maybe pushing it but........................the chance of a pint even after 5 mins past closing time. Probably asking too much there though given previous behaviour of local pubs................all two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

fair play,the very best of luck.
    Any chance that the plasmas would be strictly for sports events and that there'd be one area with no tvs in sight?:D

I agree with this - sitting in a pub with a giant plasma in your eyeline thats showing MTV with the sound turned down is not my idea of a relaxing pint.

The burnaby are guilty of this as well - they turn the TVs on for a match and then leave them on for the rest of the night showing japanese golf or whatever other crap is on that nobody watches.

• Advertisement

Joliegood wrote: »
    My thoughts.......

Change the name.

Certainly change the names of the toilets.

Bigger windows at the front of the building.

Total revamp of the furniture/fittings.

Doors could be changed too. Very heavy and awkward.

No bouncers. Only seem to attract scumbags IMO.

TV behind the bar. Only showing sports events with the exclusion of having horse racing on all day. (Unlike a nearby establishment).

A nice steak dinner. Or curry.

Better use of the upstairs part. The balcony never seemed to be open. Has a fantastic view after all.

Lastly, and maybe pushing it but........................the chance of a pint even after 5 mins past closing time. Probably asking too much there though given previous behaviour of local pubs................all two of them.

You dont ask for much :D

Advertisement