Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Script

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

loyatemu wrote: »
    The burnaby are guilty of this as well - they turn the TVs on for a match and then leave them on for the rest of the night showing japanese golf or whatever other crap is on that nobody watches.
    The manager is a golf fan I believe. Was watching a match a few weeks ago (Madrid against some other Spanish team) and it the channel was flicked over to some obscure golf tournament. No consultation with any of us customers :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Script no more

You really don't ask for much !!!! There will be a no door staff, I've been in the trade long enough, TV just for sport and news, and I mean main sport not west ham -v- anybody, we have 4 steaks and 2 currys on the menu, both upstairs and down, late license, a bit of a revamp, main one will be aerly 08, dont want be closed over Christmas, cover and wind breakers for the somking area, the back area will not have a tv in sight, may well have a piano every night. Oh yea, name will be Woodlands Lodge, Restaurant and Lounge. Hope that covers everything ???????

Hope that covers everything ???????
    Christmas pint ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Sounds cool..

Greystones needs a homely pub - since the original Burnaby motif was let slip a few years before the rebuild (and became a kids pub at the time), there hasn't been a homely pub in the town where you can sit, talk (and be heard), have a nice pint and not have to worry about some trouble kicking off because someone accidentally makes eye contact with some eejit.

The Beach House went young and a bit rough; Dans, just too damn busy (not surprising really!) .. Burnaby - no soul and very *cold* service from the most senior staff - although it must be said the lounge staff and most of the bar staff try their very best in spite of the circumstances.

Greatly needed.

Well as I said its your local and no matter what I want to do with it, it's only going to work if I know what you all want, so please don't be affraid to suggest anything, within reason !!! And yea Christmas drink Jolliegood, long as you buy me one. The other 2 pubs are good and very well run, just not to everybodies liking, it depend what you are looking for, but i agree a local pub should be just that and not a rock venue or kids club

• Advertisement

. The other 2 pubs are good and very well run, just not to everybodies liking,
    I can assure you that I don't know of anybody who would agree with that about the Beach House.

Wish you the best of luck. And, no probs, will buy you a pint !

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Thanks all, considering a pino in the restaurant for Sunday lunch ect any know of a player ????? We are currently running a fine dining restaurant in Wicklow Town, The Bakery, so we will try keep the same level of food, all be it a cheaper, and we will have 8 wines by the glass, from 4.50 up no screwtop 250ml Hammiepeters will be happy to hear. Any suggestions on menu, etc very welcome, after all it's your local guys !!!!!

I have been in your wicklow operation and found it great. Looking forward to your opening. I can confirm that your location is within the walking range of us "old" greystonians. Back in the Middle Ages when this town had a range of pubs there was one even further south than script in which many of us started our drinking careers.

Not sure about this absence of screw caps. My misus tends to fall behind a bit when the tempo rises and sometimes ends up bringing some home. Carrying full glasses of wine home in her handbag could be a bit tricky.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've merged this with the thread in the East forum

The main reason for no screw cap is so we can serve quality wines, but I'm sure we can look after her on her way home. Thanks for the support, since you've been in The Bakery you have an idea of the food and service, hope we can step it up a bit in Greystones. Thanks Eoin for merging it with the east one, hope we can pull you out of Bray for a bite to eat and a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The main reason for no screw cap is so we can serve quality wines, but I'm sure we can look after her on her way home. Thanks for the support, since you've been in The Bakery you have an idea of the food and service, hope we can step it up a bit in Greystones. Thanks Eoin for merging it with the east one, hope we can pull you out of Bray for a bite to eat and a beer.

No worries, saves you saying the same stuff in both threads! Good luck with the new place, sounds like it will be a good spot.

• Advertisement

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    I Back in the Middle Ages when this town had a range of pubs there was one even further south than script in which many of us started our drinking careers.
    Bitz, the Woodlands Hotel, the Stables, Cabanas. Great venue, great times.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

TV just for sport and news, and I mean main sport not west ham -v- anybody

No pints while watching the game for me so... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ah the return of the Woodlands name - good thinking.

One other suggestion - run a bus to and from Charlesland\Eden Gate - lots of potential drinkers there. The Burnaby and Beach House run a bus home on Friday and Saturday evenings and it is fairly well used (and mostly by Charleslandians). Its a long, exposed walk up the road when you've had a few pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

loyatemu wrote: »
    ah the return of the Woodlands name - good thinking.

One other suggestion - run a bus to and from Charlesland\Eden Gate - lots of potential drinkers there. The Burnaby and Beach House run a bus home on Friday and Saturday evenings and it is fairly well used (and mostly by Charleslandians). Its a long, exposed walk up the road when you've had a few pints.
    I'll second that. I think it took about 50 minutes the last time I went drinking in the Burnaby.

Avantarklu has photographic evidence of the trek (and if he's knows what's good for him, he'll keep schtum).

I for one will be glad to see the back of the vomit inspired interior. The positioning of the bar was intriguing to say the least, but with the place being full of Bennigans' refugees, I didn't go there often enough for it to grow on me.

Sorry JanneG, however if you do support West Ham you'll need drink so I'll make an exception for you. We will be showing sport but only if there is an interest from the customers, I won't have it on for the sake of having it on. Bus is not a bad idea I'll look into it for you. anyone an opinion on the Piano Sunday Lunch????

Sorry JanneG, however if you do support West Ham you'll need drink so I'll make an exception for you. We will be showing sport but only if there is an interest from the customers, I won't have it on for the sake of having it on. Bus is not a bad idea I'll look into it for you. anyone an opinion on the Piano Sunday Lunch????
    I was thinking about it and, from a Publican's point of view, having a piano taking up vaulable seating/standing space for the other 6 days might seem a bit of a waste. On the other hand, if you just have some guy set up a keyboard in a corner it just seems a bit tacky and artificial.

Have you considered maybe a guitar/sax duo. The Dome in Stephen's Green Shopping Center used to have a couple of guys play every Saturday afternoon and they were pretty good and it also made for a nice atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

And don't forget to have a projector and screen installed for the up and coming six nations!

any type of background music, just don't want big bands, once every now and then but not every week. As I said any suggestions, guitar and sax not bad. As far as a piano taking up space its only 6 seats and the place is big enough for it, hey may use it every night not just Sunday lunch. Matt there deffo will be 6 nations, I would'nt miss it. Even if we are going to field a pack of new bloods and over played bodies. Suppose we have to start to rebuild a team from somewhere !!!!

Diva has a piano player, he is quite loud and it's difficult to hear anyone speak over the course of a meal. Need to be careful that doesn't happen in your pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

I need a drink as much as anyone else I suppose... I'd say some other supporters even more than me these days...:rolleyes:

Nice to know that I could even go down during one of the numerous games that are to be shown on the telly... And I will hold you to it once you're open for business... :p

• Advertisement

Joliegood wrote: »
    Diva has a piano player, he is quite loud and it's difficult to hear anyone speak over the course of a meal. Need to be careful that doesn't happen in your pub.

The idea is to have one playing on the ground floor at the back area, make it a more loungeee area, somewhere to have a drink without actually feeling like a pub, and keep the main bar as just that. So it wont intrude with dinner. Personnaly if i'm with the lads I like to have a few beers and laugh, and with my wife its more relaxed and we like a bit of background music. Alot of people like a drink after dinner but don't want to go into a busy bar.

Nice to know that I could even go down during one of the numerous games that are to be shown on the telly... And I will hold you to it once you're open for business... :p[/QUOTE]

Make yourself known and I'll buy you one :) I'm in the process of designing a web site which will have a suggestion and comment section and also a list of what sport is on this week and what we will be showing, if we miss something I'm sure you'll let me know:rolleyes:

any type of background music, just don't want big bands, once every now and then but not every week. As I said any suggestions, guitar and sax not bad. As far as a piano taking up space its only 6 seats and the place is big enough for it, hey may use it every night not just Sunday lunch. Matt there deffo will be 6 nations, I would'nt miss it. Even if we are going to field a pack of new bloods and over played bodies. Suppose we have to start to rebuild a team from somewhere !!!!
    just as long as its on something bigger than 42" ill be happy ha ha!

best of luck with it! (hints again at a big hooge projector and screen!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭woodser

What are you guys going to rename it.Isuggest you remove the naked bottoms in the window though.Puts off families.

i think the name's in the last few pages of this thread, wood something or another?

Oh yea, name will be Woodlands Lodge, Restaurant and Lounge

There you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

The other 2 pubs are good and very well run,
    establishing your sense of humour early................*pow:D

just putting it out there (and this may demonstrate my ignorance of the place as I only went there once but...) any chance of a real fire?

you did ask:p

JanneG wrote: »
    I need a drink as much as anyone else I suppose... I'd say some other supporters even more than me these days...:rolleyes:

Nice to know that I could even go down during one of the numerous games that are to be shown on the telly... And I will hold you to it once you're open for business... :p
    woodser wrote: »
    What are you guys going to rename it.Isuggest you remove the naked bottoms in the window though.Puts off families.

Yea those pictures are coming down, may have gone with the previous fit out but not now.

establishing your sense of humour early................*pow:D

just putting it out there (and this may demonstrate my ignorance of the place as I only went there once but...) any chance of a real fire?

you did ask:p

Did think of it and have an Arch looking at it, The back wall is the only place it could go but the kitchen is above. Not ruled ou yet, at least we are all thinking the same of a what a local pub and restaurant should be. I may regret asking.......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

any type of background music, just don't want big bands, once every now and then but not every week. As I said any suggestions, guitar and sax not bad.

NOOOO PLEASE, not Jazz!!! That's one of the reasons why I first stopped going to Script, that blooming jazz that would blow your ears off on a Sunday afternoon. A matter of opinion, I know, but a piano sounds like a much better option to me! ;)

Advertisement