Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Script

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 GreenEyes

Thanks all, considering a pino in the restaurant for Sunday lunch ect any know of a player ????? We are currently running a fine dining restaurant in Wicklow Town, The Bakery, so we will try keep the same level of food, all be it a cheaper, and we will have 8 wines by the glass, from 4.50 up no screwtop 250ml Hammiepeters will be happy to hear. Any suggestions on menu, etc very welcome, after all it's your local guys !!!!!

Are you also having champa's as to my suprise the Burnaby doesn't seem to have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

GreenEyes wrote: »
    Are you also having champa's as to my suprise the Burnaby doesn't seem to have it.
    No it doesn't and even during the art festival; the festival champagne(Pommerray) was on at a ridiculous price. Doubt they sold any. Pure greed. It should be possible to do a reasonable champagne at about €11 a glass. Maybe even do Piccolos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 macca66

No it doesn't and even during the art festival; the festival champagne(Pommerray) was on at a ridiculous price. Doubt they sold any. Pure greed. It should be possible to do a reasonable champagne at about €11 a glass. Maybe even do Piccolos.

They need champagne but I think €11 a glass is a bit much. A drinkable one should be able to be had for €6 or €7 and have an more expensive one for "those special times". We aren't in Dublin 2!

macca66 wrote: »
    They need champagne but I think €11 a glass is a bit much. A drinkable one should be able to be had for €6 or €7 and have an more expensive one for "those special times". We aren't in Dublin 2!
    Should I know but; Allowing for ullage expect 5 glasses a bottle. At €6 each=€30. How many Champagnes do know that have a landed unit cost of €30? I mean Champagne not sparkling wine. €11 would get you Piper Heidsick or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I can't see any pub owner outside the city selling glasses of champagne. There would be an awful lot of waste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 macca66

Should I know but; Allowing for ullage expect 5 glasses a bottle. At €6 each=€30. How many Champagnes do know that have a landed unit cost of €30? I mean Champagne not sparkling wine. €11 would get you Piper Heidsick or similar.

I agree with your pricing breakdown, but there are plenty of good, and some better Sparkling wines from the Southern Hemisphere, and at a reasonable price landed, that could be sold for €6 a glass, compared to the French over priced Champagne . You could also have your designer French wines for special occasions.

I am not sure if you know it or not but "Sparkling wine" is champagne, it was only that the French took it to court to keep the name because the new world vineyards had such a good product and was getting close to some of the French product, so they claimed the name as a regional name and the courts fell for it.

Anyway, as long as they have something like what we are talking about.

Sorry Macca but all of the above is factually untrue. Champagne is as laid down by Appelation(law), sparkling wine made for Chardonnay, PInot Noir and Pinot Meunier grown in the Champagne region which centres on Reims and Epernay. Within that region the CIVC enforces controls over quality of grapes and methods. IE NV wines spend minimum 18mths on Lees whilst Vintage spend min 3 years. These controls do not exist in the new world and as a result some are made quicker, by transfer method or simply by carbonation. The guarding of the regional title ''Champagne'' is fair enough. I mean, why should they give it up. Would Waterford glass be same if made in China?. Irish whisky from Hong Kong? Given the processes involved Champagne is not really overpriced. New world is not as good. In fact the best NW sparklers like Greenpoint/Chandon are made under the guidance of French Expertise and by the same process(18mths min). You could probably do Greenpoint for €8-10 a glass. And yes, it is good but as an example Tesco Champage NV is better and less expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

relax
    I've called the champagne police

relax
    I've called the champagne police
    Great. Make mine a Veuve.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

Attached is an idea of what food I'm thinking of, any comments ????????

Looks really good. What desserts are you thinking? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Great. Make mine a Veuve.

Bolly for me..world class fizz, the New World doesnt even come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Greystones is really lacking a place where you can get a good plate of food at a decent price (bar the "Italian"). You'd be full every night if you went down the Dunne and Crezencie (excuse spelling) route where you get great food and wine..... at value. A glass of wine as well (ok normally it's a bottle)!

Had a friend over from the UK last week and she couldn't believe how much it cost to just go out for a plate of food with a mate and have a bottle of wine :eek:

I hope you do a cheaper menu (and a decent children's - half portions of adult food, crayons etc).

Oh .... and half naked male waiters :p

We tend to get ridden on the beverage side of things here ok. But for quality of produce and value on food, we still leave the UK for dead in my opininion(if you know where to go). Take a simple example for instance like Browns Barn. A smoked salmon wrap with salad inside and a choice of cold pasta and imaginitive fresh side salads. Served on a plate €5.95 for lunch. Hot meals with a choice of roasts and veg about €11. The quality and freshness at this venue are excellent. The food is basic but good. UK pub food is processed and microwaved. lasagnes, pies, BS. OK on asian meals, they're ahead. But you can only eat so much cheap curry. We have Chakra and Indian Spice. Sorry! Love my food and drink and will bitch all day long about wine list markups and Ireland v Australia or US. But I think the UK is streets behind us particularly at lunchtime. I mean have you ever seen how many people eat that slop at the supermarket over there?(and pay £ss for it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

"Greystones is really lacking a place where you can get a good plate of food at a decent price"

I suppose it is a mater of opinon but I would have thought Greystones has a lot of really good restaurants in comparison to anywhere else. I really like 3Q's, Shakra and Vino Pasta to name but a few.

I hope Script is a sucess and I think there's room for a good pub in Greystones for sure. Most of the people that have been living in Greystones for years hate handing their money over <snip>.

Agree with everything you say. Bot dont hold back now. Tell us how you really feel.

I agree that there are a lot of great restaurants but if you think they are at a decent price then we are talking different pricing levels here. A main course for 25 euro! That is top end (for me).

I want a place where I can get a plate of food for a tenner. That's why i gave D+C as an example. If i go out for dinner it's for a treat at those prices, not popping out with a pal.

It's all relative and depends how much you earn I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

"Greystones is really lacking a place where you can get a good plate of food at a decent price"

I suppose it is a mater of opinon but I would have thought Greystones has a lot of really good restaurants in comparison to anywhere else. I really like 3Q's, Shakra and Vino Pasta to name but a few.

I hope Script is a sucess and I think there's room for a good pub in Greystones for sure. Most of the people that have been living in Greystones for years hate handing their money over to the <snip>.

I'm sure theywould not be impressed with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can we not name names please? damianmckeever and dubrunner, can you edit your posts please to remove the names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

dubrunner wrote: »
    I'm sure they would not be impressed with that.

No worries Eoin S

dubrunner wrote: »
    No worries Eoin S

thanks dubrunner, I have also edited the quoted part of your post.

Edit - damianmckeever, I've edited your post as I'm not comfortable with the name remaining online here for any length of time. Any questions, drop me a PM.

• Advertisement

Any update on expected opening day?

Is it really going to be called Woodlands .... that's the name of the restaurant in the Glenview Hotel. Bit odd.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

Any update on expected opening day?

Yes, Script no more - do you know yet when you are opening? :confused:

Hope its soon so that people going out for Christmas drinks dont have to give their money to people that they would rather not spend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hope its soon so that people going out for Christmas drinks dont have to give their money to people that they would rather not spend with.

Yes, and a pint has to be reasonbly priced, plus the wine too. There's never any change out of a tenner in a Greystones bar for two drinks!

@Script No more: I provide a quality tasting service for Carlsberg on draught. This service can be free of charge for the first two weeks if you would like to avail of it! This ensures your devoted Carlsberg drinkers receive a fresh cold crisp pint every time. PM me for contact details!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tonyd123

Its Script no more (Anthony). I'm trying to get open for wed but may be thurs evening, have a bit more to do than thought at first, but getting there. Good champagne and sparkling cava by the glass and cheep too. Regarding the drink price it looks like to budget is going to hit it hard, sorry not my fault. One way or another I'll be open by the weekend and yes its The Woodlands Lodge. Still looking for part time staff, drop in if your interested i'm there all day. Hope to see you all soon ......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 mcgiggy

"I've called the Champagne Police"...Brilliant! Great comment Delgany's Finest....

Anthony,
    first of all the best of luck in your venture and let's all hope that the ideas that you have gathered from this forum are put into place sensibly...

Secondly, The Woodlands Lodge can have all of the best fresh locally gathered food prepared by the world's finest chefs, a wonderful selection of northern and southern hemisphere sparkling wine/champagne whether it be served by the glass, piccolo or even in a bottle (how oldskool!), BUT if there is a few guys wearing there ben sherman shirts or the celtic jerseys plotting their next hit on the securicor vans drinking pint bottles of bulmers in the corner, well then my friend you have a disaster on your hands. Judging from your previous comments in replying to most users of this forum you seem to be a wellrounded and openminded person, this is a good sign to start with. I don't think that this will happen to you and wouldn't wish it on any new business venture.

The Woodland's Lodge has the potential to be Greystones chosen meeting point for groups of all ages (over 21 of course), especially with the menu sample that you have kindly uploaded to this forum which I have to say is a treat on the eyes and I have to say I'm looking forward to sampling a lot of it. The fact that you have a late licence is also very interesting as no other pub in Greystones has one, and will hopefully make you extremely busy at the weekends.

Anyway I could waffle on forever, Good luck with it Anthony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 homer1986

tonyd123 wrote: »
    Its Script no more (Anthony). I'm trying to get open for wed but may be thurs evening, have a bit more to do than thought at first, but getting there. Good champagne and sparkling cava by the glass and cheep too. Regarding the drink price it looks like to budget is going to hit it hard, sorry not my fault. One way or another I'll be open by the weekend and yes its The Woodlands Lodge. Still looking for part time staff, drop in if your interested i'm there all day. Hope to see you all soon ......

are you looking for part-time chefs??

Please use the jobs section on adverts.ie

http://www.adverts.ie/index.php?cat=3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭SlinkyToo

It makes perfect sense to call it the Woodlands. This is after all where the Woodlands Hotel and Cabanas (showing my age now) resided before the ill advised demolition.

The Woodlands Lodge does have a few issues against it at this time -

1. It isnt in the town, and the walk can be off putting as many commented strolling back from the christmas lights on Sunday.
    2. While some want Champagne, most want decent affordable food, the very notion of Hooray Henries gargling the bubbly puts me off.
    3. History suggests that pubs and clubs come and go, but the Burnaby and the Beachhouse remain, even the La Touche fell foul of the Club Curse when it opened Clublife. And the Woodlands is the centre of that curse.
    4. The new Owners previous restaurant is up for sale...

I will of course be attending, if only to be proved wrong.

Advertisement