Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd IBB Problem

Options
  • 28-08-2007 9:57am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

After a few terrible months with IBB about a year ago things seemed to have settled down. But not for long: I have a server box at home for backing up everyone's laptops and which collects my mail into one inbox. I can get at it remotely through SSH or HTTPS (or so I thought).

Yesterday morning nothing at all worked. It would connect but any time it tried to send back data (like the web mail pages) it would just just time out. So I presumed the box must have been broken into or something. Went home, no problem using it inside the network, but reinstalled it just to be safe (I don't wait a virus ridden machine on my hands).

So now this morning same again. I do know from someone at home that the machine is behaving normally right now. What will happen is that I'll go to the https page and it'll pop the box for the username/password and then it'll just be stuck waiting. Internet access is normal from the house. Any ideas? Have they blocked my upload or what?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what site(s) is affected ebay and gmail by any chance ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

What you have is a GRE protocol 47 problem. IBB need to enable this feature on their end or forward the relevant ports for you which would be 1723, 3389, 50, 51 & 500. I had the exact same problem. It would hang on authorisation.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Cheers,

Just to clarify for Sponge Bob, the site I want to access is running on my machine at home on the IBB broadband connection. I want to access it then remotely, which is where I get the problem.

Now what's even more interesting is that I can't get at the site from my lab in UCD, but my friend in trinity has no problem getting in at all. So now I suspect it may be UCD's fault but I'm a bit confused.

Would there by any reason for IBB to disable GRE protocol?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Red Alert,

What Highsite or area are you on, can I suggest that you change the MTU size of your router or PC depending on whats connected to the little radio unit that IBB provide?Change MTU size down to about 1450 and see what happens?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'll try it when I get home Rattlehead. I'm on the 3 Rock mast.

Just tried to get the web server on my nokia phone as well and had no problem. I'm wondering have UCD (where I'm now) blocked my IP some way but I can't see why.

• Advertisement
Advertisement