Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XNA Development

• 28-08-2007 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone work/play with XNA and purchase the sub for the creators club?

I'm toying with the idea of playing round with this but I've never programmed C# or graphics and I don't want to fork out for a 4 month sub and have nothing at the end of it. How do you find it and is it difficult to code for? Is it possible to run the code locally on the PC or must it be transferred to the 360?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I am pretty sure there is a free version you can use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

You can create XNA Framework games that will run under windows for free using the Free XNA Game Studio Express. If you want to transfer them to the 360, you'll need to pay the sub.

My advice is play around with it on Windows see if you can get something up and running and then see if it's worth forking out for the "Creators Club" Subscription.
    XNA Game Studio Express is intended for students, hobbyist, and independent (and by extension, homebrew) game developers.[1] It is available as a free download. Express will provide basic "starter kits" for rapid development of specific genres of games, such as platform, real-time strategy, and first-person shooters. Developers can create Windows games for free with the XNA Framework, but to run their games on the Xbox 360 they will have to pay an annual fee of $99 (or a four-month fee of $49) for admission to the XNA "Creators Club". The initial release had no way of shipping precompiled binaries to other Xbox 360 players, but this was changed in "XNA Game Studio Express 1.0 Refresh"; it is now possible to compile Xbox 360 binaries and share them with other Creator's Club members.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_XNA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nice one. Anyone know if the APIs are the same for both PC and 360 and it just requires a different compiler? Lots of reading on the XNA site, looks interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

For the most part the APIs are identical for both PC and 360. If effect you can use the same code for both ports (with perhaps minor tweaks needed) - but you will have to compile both on your PC separately.

To use the same code you can create two projects (one the Xbox 360 game template, and the other using a Windows game template). Then when you compile them the appropriate platform specific code may need to be added.
    Q: Will I be able to develop a game and run it on both Xbox 360 and Windows?
    A: You will have to compile the game once for each platform. In this release simply create a separate project for each platform and then compile them both. Our goal is to allow as much code as possible to be shared between those two projects, allowing you to use the same source files in both projects, but platform-specific code will need to be conditionally-compiled.

Source XNA Game Studio FAQ: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/directx/Aa937793.aspx

Advertisement