Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rally legally!

Options
  • 28-08-2007 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in taking part in an off-road rally/destruction/time trial adventure in off road buggies in the midlands?

A friend of mine is in the process of getting such a project up and running and wanted feedback. The idea is the people would come at week'ds or during the holidays and pay x euro for an hour/half hour of rallying around an off-road course. Plenty of hills, water and mud. Shower facilities and tea coffee also available.
    Type of vechicles would be rear wheel drive two stroke off road buggies, two seater, with 5 point seat belt. Not sure on much else.

Feedback please. Will it be a scuess?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds interesting - all depends on the rates he sets I suppose! What's the story when, inevitably, someone crashes one of the buggies? Do they pay for the damage or is there insurance or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

You'd place a deposit of 150euro or so. If damage is serious you loose the money, if minor you get back a percentage. Prices would be 20 per hr.?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds like fun. Check all the insurance ramifications thoroughly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Thanks guys, but do you think itd be a sucess assuming insurance was sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

20 an hour seems very cheap; I think people would expect to pay maybe 50 to 100 an hour for something like that... just my opinion...

People are hardly going to be out driving them for more than an hour or two realistically... I'd imagine its quite tiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

I looked in to a very similar venture about 10 years ago, where I ran into problems were (1) I needed planning permission as it was a commercial venture (wicklow county council), (2) insurance, public liability was a nightmare, any policy I looked into had all sorts of clauses and stipulations, mainly to give the insurance company an opening to weasel out of any claim.
    I was going to use honda pilots (i think :confused: ), while they were easy enough to maintain, I would have had to carry a fair bit of spare parts to ensure that the buggies were always in safe working condition. If they were waiting for parts they were not earning.
    For me the projected earnings v's costs balanced over a year weren't worth it as a sole form of income.
    In the end it was wicklow county council and locals with their "not in my back yard" attitude that killed that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

The Wicklow county council are a bunch of dirty mother fu**ers. Insurance companies too. It sucks there arent more things like this and especially for those reasons. I would definatley pay 20 euro per hour on a semi regualr basis to do that. Id say the only problem would be if it is too far away from any of the cities.

Advertisement