Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Fibre to Home - Router Advice Please!

Options
  • 28-08-2007 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My mate has Magnet "fibre to home" which essentially consists of various ethernet sockets around the house.
    At the moment my mate just hard wires his laptop to the ports but as his laptop has a wireless card he would like to get a wireless modem/router and make things mobile.

He has contacted Magnet but they have advised that they do noy supply modems/routers.

Can anyone please advise on a modem solution & settings/configuration that are required to get things working.

For example would the standard eircom router from PC World when configured correctly suffice?

Any/all advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

From how you describe it, you don't need a router/modem, just a wireless access point. Something like this should suffice: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=321911

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Sean_K wrote:
    From how you describe it, you don't need a router/modem, just a wireless access point. Something like this should suffice: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=321911

Thanks Sean_K. That does sound more plausible. Can anyone else confirm this solution?
    Do anything settings need to be made?

I want to be sure before I make any recommendations to my mate ;)

Would a wireless router connected directly to the wall socket also do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭adrian.s

Would a wireless router connected directly to the wall socket also do the job?

Yes. I have Magnet FTTH, and that's what I've done.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

yes i to have it and i use a linksys wireless wrt54g router, connect wan port to outlet and shabang

• Advertisement

adrian.s wrote:
    Yes. I have Magnet FTTH, and that's what I've done.
    bungholio wrote:
    yes i too have it and i use a linksys wireless wrt54g router, connect wan port to outlet and shabang

Thanks guys, thats just the sort of confirmation that I needed!

Advertisement