Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT223 Human Nutrition and Dietetics

Options
  • 28-08-2007 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

i was wondering what are the job prospects like for someone who does the above degree?

and for anyone thats done it whats it like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

This didn't get a reply and I'm kinda interested as well..so I'm bumping it up...
    Anyone? Is it a really tough course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

There would be a heap of stuff to learn. I did a bit of research into this and it would be quite okay, because your doing so many different subjects...reminds me of Home Ec. to be honest....anyway...it's supposed to be not a seriously difficult course, but there's it would be one of the more challenging ones.

Job prospects....erm....***scratching head***, are poor....salary only above 25-40K...lucky to reach the 50K mark I'd say...I'd say it would be quite difficult to get a professional job that's worthwhile.

Lucas10101 wrote:
    Job prospects....erm....***scratching head***, are poor....salary only above 25-40K...lucky to reach the 50K mark I'd say...I'd say it would be quite difficult to get a professional job that's worthwhile.

It's not about the money, it's about the love of what you're doing! ;)

....no more than 50k you say? :eek:

Really though, it's probably that or medicine...I know which one I'd find easier! Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dublin1234

Hi, just saw that msg there. I'm in 4th year at the moment doing Nutrition& Dietetics, and I can tell you its really difficult. A lot of biochemistry Nutrition Medicine and pharmacology and its a full 9-5 mon-fri course so i wouldnt take it on lightly. I'm doing my clinical placement at the moment which is quite tough but really brings it all together. As far as jobs goes, there's lots of opportunities not only in health service... depending on how much work you want to put in. You can travel with the degree too which is great. Starting salary for me when i finish will be around €40k and it goes up to ~€80k in health service... same as for all allied health professionals. The real money is in prvate practice and industry, so if thats whats bothering you i wouldnt worry. If your really interested in nutrition i'de go for it, but if your not then i wouldnt cos its hard work. but i love it anyway if thats any help!

I can deal with the hard work, I reckon. (I hope!) I didn't know it was completely full time, but I guess that's to be expected.
    Now all I have to do is get the points! Eeek! What were the points when you applied? They're gone to 540 now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement