Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to DIY Solid OAK flooring???

Options
  • 28-08-2007 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

i been searching around to find some helpful tips to lay down my wooden floor but so far every where is laminated flooring tips and help but not word for solid onez.

1. http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk
    2. DVD for DIY solid wood (as in video they use sticky self adhesive underlay which I can not find anywhere even in B&Q).
    3. boards.ie (some information but not enough)

For my understanding as I m laying floor on concrete I have to use damp proof membranes and then underlay.
    As there are few different ways to lay solid wood floor
    Secret nail, glue down, or Self adhesive underlay (which I can not fine in Ireland).
    Now best possible options to me is use glue the floor now long story short do I need to glue each plank or I just have to glue groves in each plank and lay it? In B&Q video they showed I need to glue first row to underlay how I can glue plank to underlay I mean when its just a foam or other soft underlay?
    And I heard some floating onez what is different between floating and glue to each other?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

A floating floor is neither nailled nor glued. It is not attached, similar to laminate.
    My advice:
    Buy - DPM in builders providers. The light guage stuff is sufficent.
    - 2x1 Sufficent lenghts to allow a spacing of 400mm
    - Timber reducer (same timber as that being layed). This is to blend the height difference between the wood floor and adjoining rooms at lower level.
    - 50mm Hilti Nails
    Rent - Sectrect nailer with 1 1/2" nails

Lay out the DPM on the floor allowing 150mm to extend up the wall all around.
    Cut and place 2x1 battens at 400mm spacings in the opposite direction to the direction the floor will run and nail every 450mm. This provides your base for nailing the floor to. DPM provides a sufficient barrier between concrete and floor to protect from moisture.
    Ensure timber floor has been on site and packaging open for at least two weeks to acclimatise.
    Starting the floor is the hardest part and most important. Ensure first row of boards are straight and nail through grouve with secret nailler and off you go. Any more advice require just ask. Not sure what detail to go into as I might confuse you?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flatpack

i already have DPM from B&Q and
    - 2x1 Sufficent lenghts to allow a spacing of 400mm
    what it mean?

and i think i don’t need timber reducer as all floor going to be same wood.
    so you are suggesting to use secret nail to lay the floor? But I really don’t want to use secret nail to lay floor.
    Quick question why u are suggesting nail rather then glue?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

i think Finneganjp want to say that you better make some sort of web on floor and then nail it.
    am i right Finneganjp?

By 2x1 I mean timber battens 2"x1". And yes you create a structure on the concrete floor in order to nail the solid floor too. The reason I am suggesting this as opposed to glueing is that you are obviously a novice DIY floor layer and if you go down the glue route you get one chace only to lay it. Very messy stuff. It is almost impossible to take up the floor after it is glued down. As a first time floor layer secret nailing is the easiest option as mistakes are easily rectified and you have all the time in the world. (not under pressure due to the glue setting)

well if i do that way then it will add about 2 to 3 inche hight to my floor which i really don't want until unless id don't have any choice.
    i don't know but glue seems easy job to me apart from as u said could be difficult for me to lay floor as its difficult to remove plank after.

• Advertisement

If you glue it to the floor you also need special clamping straps to pull the boards tight together as the glue sets. I assumed you were only laying the floor in one room, obviously you are laying the floor on the whole ground floor. Glueing would be my prefered option here but this would be a huge task for someone who has not laid a floor before?

I think I can do that, as it is easy then nail and I also don’t need to rent any nailer and as I m not planning to finis job in one day so looks easy.
    Thanks for help just one more question.
    Do I need to glue first plank to underlay? And then rest of then with each other? And what do you think about this underlay
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101883&ts=46724&id=74549#
    its is sticky self adhesive and in B&Q DIY movie they also used this underlay but I can not fine this anywhere not even in B&Q (staff said they never seen any like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

flatpack
    you can find that self adhesive underlay in b&q the have in box so i think thats why u missed that and (in naas they have with other underlay in white box) i m not sure in any other branch.

flatpack wrote:
    I think I can do that, as it is easy then nail and I also don’t need to rent any nailer and as I m not planning to finis job in one day so looks easy.
    Thanks for help just one more question.
    Do I need to glue first plank to underlay? And then rest of then with each other? And what do you think about this underlay
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101883&ts=46724&id=74549#
    its is sticky self adhesive and in B&Q DIY movie they also used this underlay but I can not fine this anywhere not even in B&Q (staff said they never seen any like that).

Advertisement