Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Have 5 hours To Decide and Need Advice!

Options
  • 28-08-2007 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I have been accepted to a college course but I'm still not sure if I want to take it. Today is the last day for accepting and I just want to know if its a big deal if I accept but when it comes time to actually go into the college and do all the registering etc, that I just change my mind and don't go, are there any negative consequences in doing that down the line. I wont be recieving any second round options.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭madnirvana

You'll make a big mistake. The only chance for you to get a place then will be in the 'places remain unfilled' section.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

I think when your fully registered, you have to officaly drop out with a letter and all that. If you drop out before 31st October, you still keep your free fees. It's up to you, i still have not accepted any of my offers, but i am pretty sure that i will accept BIS in ucc this afternoon around five, it makes it more exciting that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

O.P.H wrote:
    I have been accepted to a college course but I'm still not sure if I want to take it. Today is the last day for accepting and I just want to know if its a big deal if I accept but when it comes time to actually go into the college and do all the registering etc, that I just change my mind and don't go, are there any negative consequences in doing that down the line. I wont be recieving any second round options.
    What do you want to do?

Are you happy enough to take a year out and apply again next year?

If its Science in TCD your after i reckon ya shouldn't take it:D :p

Seriously though, if you really dont want the course and don't mind taking a year out or looking at vacant places don't accept it otherwise do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Once you don't register for the course with the college you should be OK.

You should accept your course, If another course becomes available in a later round or by vacant places, you can accept that course.

When you accept the course you don't have to take it as a higher offer could always happen.

I think about 10% of students every year accept courses that they don't subsequently register for.

Once you don't register you dont affect the grand or anything.

If you register and then change your mind you will need to contact the college.

If in doubt, you should ring the admissions office of the college to confirm the above is the case.

By the way, what course are you interested in and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

Science in NUIG. Im 24, havent been before, and I wouldnt be going back as a mature student, applied with my points etc but Im just not sure i kinda feel I want to go next year and use this year to sort myself out a bit more. But as long as I can accept and then just not register if I dont want to go and can do this without any consequnces, that gives me a few more weeks to decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Would you consider a deferral, it's a bit late to go looking for one now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

GDM wrote:
    Would you consider a deferral, it's a bit late to go looking for one now though.

hardly..............i defered two weeks after starting my course in dit and it was not a problem it took about 30mins to arrange

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

Accepted there but I stiil dont know if I'll go in and register

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Deferal a good option if you have accepted the course and may want to do it next year.

However if you want to take up the defered place you will have to apply for it in the CAO next year as your only choice.

This will preclude you from applying for another course and keeping your defered place.

When you defer, the college should give you all the info to accept the defered place next year.

Therefore by defering you are limiting your coices next year if you excerise your deferal.

You could however apply for the deferal, be granted it, but not exercise the option by applying for other courses.

Advertisement