Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is UPnP setting in your modem/router?

Options
  • 28-08-2007 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

The reason I ask is because it is enabled on my Linksys WAG in the Admin section of the router. But I keep getting a error msg in Azureus about it and was wondering is it worth while disabling it

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

UPnP can do a few things but in this case it's to do with automatically forwarding the port that (in this case) azureus uses. If you disable it just be sure to forward the relevant ports on your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

;) Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i have a Linksys WRT54GP2 wireless router. i find that by enabling UPnP it helps Azureus to connect well with peers and seeders. However, over a long hours, this will crash the router in a way which basically makes all wireless connections unstable. probably bug in the firmware i guess.

Marty

Doesnt seem to do anything to my Linksys MM but when its enabled it definitley makes Azureus give error messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Enabling UPNP Can be a security risk... It can be used to open up ports for a hack.. best off leave it disabled and forward the port you want..

• Advertisement

Will do JM, the strange thing is I think it comes enabled by default on the linksys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

UPNP also causes lots of uneeded network traffic. Not an issue if you just have one or two PC's hooked up, but if your running a small lan the UPNP traffic can sap your bandwidth.

Advertisement