Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grants :x

Options
  • 28-08-2007 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

hi just wanted to know; will i be able to get grants because my dad's income is 60000 + ??
    but the thing is that i have another brother who will go to university next year and my total expenditure is 13000 per year!! imagine when my brother will come next year my dad cant afford this much even though he is a good tax payer :mad:
    dont forget he has to pay the mortgage and his own living expenses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Time to get a job

I think that income puts him out of the grant bracket but correct me if i'm wrong

btw Are you going into first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

http://www.mygrant.ie/start.html#ril

Think you just miss out, even with the 4 thousand odd extra allowance for two people in the one family going to college,unless you have 8 dependents in your family!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭madnirvana

Sean_K wrote:
    Time to get a job

I think that income puts him out of the grant bracket but correct me if i'm wrong

btw Are you going into first year?

Yup im going in first year in trinity.
    Yah the limit is 53000. DAmn it :mad: TAXES!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

why is YOUR total expenditure 13K???

a year in college should not cost anywhere near that much unless you are paying fees. also YOU should get a job

edit; I also miss out on a grant when i know people whos parent/s earn more than 200K a year but are divorced and therefore are entitled to a grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

The whole grants application is fcuking joke.

I'm going to start college this year even though I'm the ripe middle age of 23. Now,I didn't turn 23 till March so I'm not eligable as a mature student so despite living independantly of my parents since I was 17 I'm now suddenly, in the eyes of the government, VERY DEPENDANT on my parents.

Obviously I'm not impressed since my Mam's wage bracket is well above what it's allowed be to recieve the grant. So basically now I have to make do on my savings (which will probably mostly go on fees) and what I can make in a weekend job (which will mostly go on rent, no doubt).

It seems that while the government obviously want trained, educated young people in the workforce they're not too willing to support people who genuinely need the maintence money by using an obviously flawed application scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

film_gonzo wrote:

I'm going to start college this year even though I'm the ripe middle age of 23. Now,I didn't turn 23 till March so I'm not eligable as a mature student so despite living independantly of my parents since I was 17 I'm now suddenly, in the eyes of the government, VERY DEPENDANT on my parents.

Obviously I'm not impressed since my Mam's wage bracket is well above what it's allowed be to recieve the grant. So basically now I have to make do on my savings (which will probably mostly go on fees) and what I can make in a weekend job (which will mostly go on rent, no doubt).

It seems that while the government obviously want trained, educated young people in the workforce they're not too willing to support people who genuinely need the maintence money by using an obviously flawed application scheme.
    I totally agree but if you vote Fianna fail in, you must face the consequences!

But seriously thought there is not much we can do about it, the student's union's are a small lobby group in the eye's of government, they were even talking of bringing back tuition fees, but they would not go that far. I suppose you will just have to try your best to make do, it will be worth it when you have the qualifacation and you are earning big money.

film_gonzo wrote:

the system is flawed but it is not a joke. the only reason you will need to pay fees is if you have availed of free fees in the past. I do not personally see a problem with people who can afford it supporting/ helping their kids through college. now I am not saying your mother can afford it, i think the pay levels need to be looked at, but for people who can afford it I think they should have to pay it.

PeakOutput wrote:
    the system is flawed but it is not a joke.
    I do not personally see a problem with people who can afford it supporting/ helping their kids through college. now I am not saying your mother can afford it, i think the pay levels need to be looked at, but for people who can afford it I think they should have to pay it.

(Emphasis added)

I think his point lies around how he is 23, an adult independent of his parents for nearly 6 years, yet in the eyes of the government he is still dependent on them.

Myth wrote:
    (Emphasis added)

I think his point lies around how he is 23, an adult independent of his parents for nearly 6 years, yet in the eyes of the government he is still dependent on them.

he will always be his parents child regardless of his age

i understand the point he is making and while i see the annoyance( im 21 have been living at home but have been paying full rent and and working full time for 2 years and like him i get nothing) i don't see a fundamental problem. there should be exceptions but as a rule at the moment i think its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

My parents are divorced but even though one of them earns more than the limit, I am still entitled to a grant. I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles but personally I do think the system is a joke and is serious need of reform to cater for the diverse circumstances and situations that applicants are finding themselves in. However in saying that, as long as I'm entitled to a grant, I see no reason why I shouldn't claim what I'm entitled to.

@madnirvana:
    While you may not be able to receive a VEC grant, many colleges have their own grants departments whose aim it is to assist students who are finding it difficult to support themselves. While the amount they award you certainly won't cover accommodation, they will often pay for your books and registration fees. However, this varies from college but I would urge you to ask about such a facility upon registration.

• Advertisement

@madnirvana:
    While you may not be able to receive a VEC grant, many colleges have their own grants departments whose aim it is to assist students who are finding it difficult to support themselves. While the amount they award you certainly won't cover accommodation, they will often pay for your books and registration fees. However, this varies from college but I would urge you to ask about such a facility upon registration.

thanks i will certainly ask about it..IM going to Trinity by the way but they give scholarships to students who got 530+ but i got 480.

op can you explain to us what your spending so much money on we might be able to help you get the budget down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Coco88

(
    madnirvana wrote:
    hi just wanted to know; will i be able to get grants because my dad's income is 60000 + ??
    but the thing is that i have another brother who will go to university next year and my total expenditure is 13000 per year!! imagine when my brother will come next year my dad cant afford this much even though he is a good tax payer :mad:
    dont forget he has to pay the mortgage and his own living expenses.

So what was the point of saying this ??? .what do you desire us to do ???? !!! . Some of us are in the identical quandary as you :mad:

Coco88 wrote:
    (

So what was the point of saying this ??? .what do you desire us to do ???? !!! . Some of us are in the identical quandary as you :mad:

alot i would imagine, however he asked a question if it annoys you that much dont read the thread

PeakOutput wrote:
    alot i would imagine, however he asked a question if it annoys you that much dont read the thread

Ok yes the grant system has a major impact on me as well . My dad earns 67,000 a year . And that with out counting my moms salary . And but what I’m trying to express is that next year when I’m going to college I’ll not be capable to claim for a grant too . But still I will not make a big substance of all this . Over that my parents are making to a large amount of money for me to get a grant . All we can do is get our parents to pay for your living fees I’m trying to expression . Its not problematical to grasp. I desire you can comprehend this .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

IM going to Trinity by the way but they give scholarships to students who got 530+ but i got 480.

WHAT!
    I don't think that's true although I wish it was. I got 565 and I am going to Trinity. I think you might be confusing it with the 200odd euro book vouchers they give out.
    However, I would LOVE to be corrected.:D

Coco88 wrote:
    All we can do is get our parents to pay for your living fees I’m trying to expression .

How do you know his family does not have 8 kids and simply cannot afford to pay for his living(probably away from home) for 8 months?

I am fortunate enough that my parents will pay for my accomadation as long as I dont have to repeat a year and as long as I pay for my day to day living.

Also coco if you are making your parents pay for your accomodation AND your day to day living Id suggest you get of your ass and get a job so you can make a contribution at the very least

what course are you studying and where ???

Coco88 wrote:
    what course are you studying and where ???

Are you asking me?

if yes then digital media design in university of limerick

PeakOutput wrote:
    Are you asking me?

if yes then digital media design in university of limerick

Yes and immediately learn to spell accommodation this way …. Not “accomadation” before you contradict me !! :):p

• Advertisement

Coco88 wrote:
    Yes and immediately learn to spell accommodation this way …. Not “accomadation” before you contradict me !! :):p

a bit rich, although i didnt mention it as it is not good form to do so on an internet forum and I assume you are not a native speaker.
    Coco88 wrote:
    Ok yes the grant system has a major impact on me as well . My dad earns 67,000 a year . And that with out counting my moms salary . And but what I’m trying to express is that next year when I’m going to college I’ll not be capable to claim for a grant too . But still I will not make a big substance of all this . Over that my parents are making to a large amount of money for me to get a grant . All we can do is get our parents to pay for your living fees I’m trying to expression . Its not problematical to grasp. I desire you can comprehend this .

the bottom line is he is entitled to complain about a flawed system

PeakOutput wrote:
    a bit rich, although i didnt mention it as it is not good form to do so on an internet forum and I assume you are not a native speaker.

What

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

60 grand a year? and you want the grant?
    Get real...
    13 grand for 2 semesters in college?
    Get real...

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    60 grand a year? and you want the grant?

again you dont know his families circumstances so you dont knwo what your talking about
    13 grand for 2 semesters in college?
    Get real...

more than agree with that though

6500 for tution fees per year
    5000+ for accomodation for a year
    now living expenses 2000 for a year no way i think i need more than 13K:o

ok my dad earns 70k but after paying taxes it becomes 50-55 or so.
    now he has to feed himself, my mom, my brother and my sister who is also studyin in college.. believe its not easy.
    Yes i would get a part time job but only in weekends because i would not like working full time.

I get the point => loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

where can i get a form to send away for a grant

madnirvana wrote:
    6500 for tution fees per year
    5000+ for accomodation for a year
    now living expenses 2000 for a year no way i think i need more than 13K:o

ok my dad earns 70k but after paying taxes it becomes 50-55 or so.
    now he has to feed himself, my mom, my brother and my sister who is also studyin in college.. believe its not easy.
    Yes i would get a part time job but only in weekends because i would not like working full time.

I get the point => loans.

paying tuition fees so you are in a private college so would that not disqualify you from a grant anyway?

and also unless you get a job you are not going to get any sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

robdcu wrote:

Your local authority (i.e. County/City council). they're phone number for Higher Education should be listed in the phone book.

robdcu wrote:

Oddly enough, I just discovered today that the Qualifax website has the grant application form online (without the 'SAMPLE' lashed across it), but if you contact your Council/VEC they'll send you out a copy.
    PeakOutput wrote:
    he will always be his parents child regardless of his age

i understand the point he is making and while i see the annoyance( im 21 have been living at home but have been paying full rent and and working full time for 2 years and like him i get nothing) i don't see a fundamental problem. there should be exceptions but as a rule at the moment i think its fine.

We'll disagree there then. I'd love to see another category created so that students who can prove for the past 3 years, as an example, that they have been supporting themselves can avail of a grant.

• Advertisement

Myth wrote:
    We'll disagree there then. I'd love to see another category created so that students who can prove for the past 3 years, as an example, that they have been supporting themselves can avail of a grant.

that is what i meant by an exception. it should not be an age exception though it should be "time under your own steam" if you know what i mean

Advertisement