Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grants :x

Options
2»

Comments

Ah, I see. Grand so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

I go to uni in Wales

I need to pay fees + accommodation + eat

that's a lot

my moms a nurse and my dad is semi retired

the state gives me 750euro. That about covers my travel there and back at the beginning and end of each year.

PM donations please..

so your dad takes in 60000+

DONT WHINE there are people worse off that you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

accidental double post.. oh moderator ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

madnirvana wrote:
    6500 for tution fees per year
    5000+ for accomodation for a year
    now living expenses 2000 for a year no way i think i need more than 13K:o

ok my dad earns 70k but after paying taxes it becomes 50-55 or so.
    now he has to feed himself, my mom, my brother and my sister who is also studyin in college.. believe its not easy.
    Yes i would get a part time job but only in weekends because i would not like working full time.

I get the point => loans.

Pfft! Its very easy to support a family that size on 55k a year. VERY easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Coco88 wrote:
    Yes and immediately learn to spell accommodation this way …. Not “accomadation” before you contradict me !! :):p
    Well considering your long post beforehand was full of grammatical mistakes because you were trying to use big words, I'd let him away with spelling accommodation wrong just this one time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Pfft! Its very easy to support a family that size on 55k a year. VERY easy.

your missing the point

it is easy to support a 2 child family with that salary in ONE household. say the op decides to be lazy and wholy unfair and not work this year therefore the parents have to pay 13500 for the college year(college year not calender year)

then next year child number two goes to college and its the same expenditure so now they are paying 27K per college year out of their 55K so they have 28K left............mortgage??? 1,500/month=18K so they have 10K left to run their home / eat / live for the year including paying for their two kids during the summer when they return. all of a sudden 55K is not a huge amount.

Now the main problem here is going to a private college but their would be alot of people who would earn less and still be in the above financial situation without their kids going to private colleges and they would not be getting a grant either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭beer4life

So how are the county council vec's generally on late applications?

I might be a few days late with mione, or at leasdt some of the documents rtequired getting stressed to say the least

beer4life wrote:
    So how are the county council vec's generally on late applications?

I might be a few days late with mione, or at leasdt some of the documents rtequired getting stressed to say the least

I know some last year accepted them up 'til Christmas. But I have heard stories of some VECs not answering the phones for grants after the 31st of August. Check with them first.

I'd love to hear from the Councils the % of late applications they receive per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Coco88 wrote:
    Ok yes the grant system has a major impact on me as well . My dad earns 67,000 a year . And that with out counting my moms salary . And but what I’m trying to express is that next year when I’m going to college I’ll not be capable to claim for a grant too . But still I will not make a big substance of all this . Over that my parents are making to a large amount of money for me to get a grant . All we can do is get our parents to pay for your living fees I’m trying to expression . Its not problematical to grasp. I desire you can comprehend this .
    Regarding your suggestion that your parents pay for your living expenses, bear in mind that some parents insist on their child contributing a certain percentage towards your college expenses while others may cut their children off from support thinking that it's better for them to find their own way in the big bad world. Basically what I'm saying is that some people aren't lucky enough to have their parents pay their way and increasing numbers of familiaes from the new middle class are struggling to send their children through college thanks to high living costs and the expectation to maintain a certain standard of living.
    IM going to Trinity by the way but they give scholarships to students who got 530+ but i got 480.

Unfortunately, TCD do not offer such scholarships;
    TCD.ie wrote:
    Entrance Exhibitions are awarded to Junior Freshman (first year) new entrants on the basis of performance in public examinations.

An Entrance Exhibition is worth books to the value of €254 divided over the first and second years of attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

OP could work his/her ass off and get second year schols (free accomodation+tuition+food for 5 years) that might take the strain off for the future. No easy task however

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

Myth wrote:
    . I'd love to see another category created so that students who can prove for the past 3 years, as an example, that they have been supporting themselves can avail of a grant.

That's EXACTLY what I said to somebody when I found out about it. I do understand that it's possible for families to support their children on a salary over 55K but not in all circumstances. And that's where I feel the problem lies with the granst application. It's too general. Every applicant has different criteria but the form doesn't seem to reflect this too much.

Of course that still doesn't take from my previous point, I'm NOT dependant on my parents in any sense of the word. I pay my own way in this world and that's the way I like it. And now that I wanna further my education the government don't wanna support me.

I'll survive even if they don't but it would have helped. Alot! Now I'll probably have to borrow to keep myself afloat. And that ain't a situation I wanted to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

PeakOutput wrote:
    again you dont know his families circumstances so you dont knwo what your talking about
    3 kids and 70 grand a year and expecting a grant based on no other merit other than your dad has a mortgage to pay and a small family to support is laughable.
    Also, you dont have fees generally when you are on the grant.

College is tough financially on most people, deal with it. Usually people on the grant can't rely on their parents much for financial support, and have to work as well to put themselves through college. Don't be lazy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    3 kids and 70 grand a year and expecting a grant based on no other merit other than your dad has a mortgage to pay and a small family to support is laughable.
    Also, you dont have fees generally when you are on the grant.

he is going to a rivate college so he has fees regardless(this is his mistake though)

he could have only 3 kids but the father and mother could be only children and have 2 parents each dependant on them or in nursing homes. it is quite possible. the point is you and i do not know.

i do agree the op should work at least saturday and sunday to pay for their own living there is no excuse not to.

Advertisement