Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tubridy Show

• 28-08-2007 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

I was tuned in this morning(Tuesday) and Tubridy has some "Interns" who spent some time in "DC" ..we are talking months as I understood it.

Anyway two of them came on with the most put on American accents you would meet in a days walk.Could no believe these goons were real!!!

Tell me I'm not hallucinating or did anybody else hear it???

What a load of crud.Is this what we are educating???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/thetubridyshow/1153867.html

click on Tuesday 28 August and go to about 18 mins in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Why do you keep on posting? I'll listen none the less...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Possibly the same affliction that affects kids from Kerry to Offaly about 2 days after they move to Dublin for college... I think the technical term is deefouritis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Listening now, there's a small bit of a twang on the 2nd lad but other than that not so much...

Why do you say it's a load of crud? 3 people from Ireland went over to the States, worked as interns for top senators, that's fairly impressive to me at least...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Flutterin' is once again inside my head! :eek:

Well to a degree, I was going to post a thread about todays show but not the accents, rather I thought the whole subject and its choosing was a good illustration of how nerdy Tubridys 'internal' world is. The man's obessesed with the world of United States politics esp the Democrats. He uses that programme simply to please himself.

Mike.

dulpit wrote:
    Why do you keep on posting? I'll listen none the less...

Can you explain what you mean by that please???

mike65 wrote:
    Flutterin' is once again inside my head! :eek:

Well to a degree, I was going to post a thread about todays show but not the accents, rather I thought the whole subject and its choosing was a good illustration of how nerdy Tubridys 'internal' world is. The man's obessesed with the world of United States politics esp the Democrats. He uses that programme simply to please himself.

Mike.

I'm sure you know he is connected to Dot Tubridy who was a big Kennedy woman back in the sixties,therefore the interest....:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Liked the show when it came out first but I feel it has gone off the boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Still better than D'arcy. Quitting the Rose of Tralee after two years shows who has the greater ambition and talent, although I do get tired of his twittering style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Can you explain what you mean by that please???

I sure s/he means that you could've easily edited the first post with the necessary links, rather than posting again. Its kinda boards etiquette not to reply to ones old post, old bean.

BTW, I love Michael White of the Grauniad speaking about the Royals... his hatred of the Mail shine through. :D So thanks for posting the link to the site rather than just the stream.
    Greenman wrote:
    Liked the show when it came out first but I feel it has gone off the boil.

Just like The Full Irish on 2FM. Good for a while, jumped the shark when he couldn't discover new music, always playing what he liked, e.g. the Beatles.
    mike65 wrote:

Always the danger when the presenter has ideas of his own. Personally, the editing and choosing the topics of the programme should solely be left with the editor/producer, and not because of the presenters personal preferences.

The man is intelligent enough, but he does play it very safe by sticking to topics he knows well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

mickd wrote:
    Still better than D'arcy. Quitting the Rose of Tralee after two years shows who has the greater ambition and talent, although I do get tired of his twittering style.

Cannot abide the man. Pity we're all not connected to the Andrews family we'd all have an easy run to the top;). I heard he had a record number of background staff before the arrival of a certain lady about 18months ago made some changes to the staffing levels on his show. Rumor had it he had more researchers than Joe Duffy and Pat Kenny put together for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

That is true also this certain lady is responsible for the balls up thats Drivetime.

DMC wrote:
    I sure s/he means that you could've easily edited the first post with the necessary links, rather than posting again. Its kinda boards etiquette not to reply to ones old post, old bean.

Indeed, indeed, however as you can see I tried to edit, but a wonky boards server and time pressures prevented successfull deletion.

Sorry 'bout that.

the "boards server" is a perfect aunt sally these days! :D

Listening for a few mins this morning he annoyed again, just being himself. I forgot how many 'ticks' he has.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

I wouldnt worry about the guests so much as worrying about who put the lightweight on a national radio show in the first place. My cousin ,Goan, who Ive never met, should be hanging his head low in shame for this debacle of a programme, Kenny will never be forgiven for ruining the Gay Byrne franchise but thankfully he is slightly listenable. I will admit to being unreadable today,no flow . I think it because I was on here all night.

Having the misfortune of listening to him this morning, he sounds out of his depth. The subject is teenage gun crime, and he's asking the flimsiest of questions, and repeating quite a few times things like "I don't know what the situation is now...".

I did'nt hear that but what did he spend the last 20 mins gabbing about? Fupping Clinton and democrats! He can't leave the matter alone.

Mike.

Gah! I think, its within the scope of all here, to make note of all the occasions where he goes with an american/democrat agenda. Then, we can complain to someone in RTÉ or go to a paper with the results of our findings....

Anyone like to lend some ear-time to the cause?

ah now its one thing for a random moan here, quite another to start writing things down. :)

Mike.

• Advertisement

Random, eh? There are 26,240 things I could say to you! :D

+1 Walked into that....:o

Mike.

More again!

Thursday he was on about Fred Thompson entering the race for the Republican ticket and "yaddy yadda yadda" I switched away again.....:(

Mike.

There is a handier way.... the whole show is archived since last September on the website...

Lets look at this week and last week, firstly!

Wednesday 5th September (right after the gun tootin' teens I mentioned)
    Nigel Hamilton is Bill Clinton's unofficial biographer. He tells Ryan about the excitement of the 1992 campaign, the disastrous first term, and the Clinton legacy. Bill Clinton: Mastering the Presidency is published by Century.

Tuesday 4th September
    He may be small in stature, but there's nothing little about this guy when it comes to his talent as an actor. Mickey Rooney and his wife Jan talk about performing at the National Concert Hall in Dublin on 9 September in 'Let's Put On A Show'. (OK, he's not political, but he's had a long US film career, another piece of Americana)

Thursday 30th August
    Ava Astaire McKenzie is the daughter of screen legend Fred Astaire. She recalls encounters with her father's famous friends and explains how she ended up living in West Cork. Ava will take part in the RTE Concert Orchestra's Putting On Your Top Hat concert tomorrow evening at Dublin's National Concert Hall. (Film legends, Americana again)

Tuesday 28th August
    Noel Rock, Kevin Dillon and Orla De Búrca served as interns in Washington this summer. They talk to Ryan about their experiences in the offices of Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and Donald Payne. (already mentioned in this thread)

The bit you mention about Fred Thompson must have been a opening gambit on the show, it doesn't appear as an item, so, there might be more mentions of Capitol Hill and caucuses as asides. (Try saying the last bit out loud. Those with lisps or false teeth may find it disturbing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 "Beaker"

Tubridy is a freak! I think that he is the result of a cloning experiment using Plank Kennys DNA, failing that he is the love child of both GR & PK how else can you get an important slot on RTE these days? unless GB is your godfather.

When will the pain end, If RTE was a proper commercial station it would go bust or a least loose its licence every couple of years.

A vitual wager -

I am willing to bet a million credits that on tomorrows programme (Tuesday)
    one of his guests is an American chap flogging the legend of the Kennedys.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

For all ye Tubridy lovees :
    don't miss tomorrow's exclusive:

Tubs interviews Bill Clinton.
    Ryan interrupts his usual schedule to focus on an item closely related
    to the heart of US democratic politics ;)

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/thetubridyshow/

I will not be listening!

(I wonder if he came)

Mike.

C'mon he's not the worst... who else would you have in that slot.

• Advertisement

My problem is'nt him per se, rather its his range of interests which he fills the programme with, esp US politics-lite.

Mike.

He's not the worst, I agree, but as I said earlier on this thread, and I'm sure Mike agrees with me, Tubridy needs to be shaken out of his comfort zone. He sounds non-interested in a lot of topics, but home in on some Americana, and he goes off on one.

TTS sounds more like a coffee shop programme, more suited to late mornings or afternoons, in place of Mooney. Kenny at 9am would be ideal, imho, but I don't think that RTÉ or Madam Leddy, or even all of us could suffer 4 hours of N&CA.

Thats why TTS is in there, to give punters a breather from N&CA.

I find his Connemaramania, his mentioning of his age,more annoying than the Americana bit.

In fairness he is not a travel junkie,like the rest of them who avail of junkets to various parts.

Can anyone suggest someone much better in that slot.

I think he's as good as you will get in that programme genre .

Can anyone suggest someone much better in that slot.

I think he's as good as you will get in that programme genre .

I think that's why he is comfortable, there is no one on Irish Radio within an asses' roar of challenging him or replace him. RTÉ certainly doesn't have someone who could be the next PK or Tubridy, and I can't see anyone else in the independent sector who could either.

But that shouldn't stop him from improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

No getting away from it, Tubridy is a natural, pity therefore that he's so reluctant to criticise Fianna Fail, something lurking in his background no doubt.

Advertisement