Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hit in car park

Options
  • 28-08-2007 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Guy hit my brother's car while it was parked. Need a bit of panel beating and paintwork. Got a quote to have it fixed from a local bodyshop and it's about €300.

The other guys want to pay the garage directly. After the car is repaired he wants my brother to send him a letter saying he happy with the repair and that that's the end of the matter.

Does this seem OK? Anyone got a suggested wording for a letter like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Guy is trying to do what's right, and protect himself at the same time. Maybe let him get the work done and pay it when both are happy it's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Guy hit my brother's car while it was parked. Need a bit of panel beating and paintwork. Got a quote to have it fixed from a local bodyshop and it's about €300.

The other guys want to pay the garage directly. After the car is repaired he wants my brother to send him a letter saying he happy with the repair and that that's the end of the matter.

assuming your not going thru the insurance this sounds perfectly fine.

wording of letter "i confirm that the repairs have been carried out to my satisfaction and the total cost of these repair are/were....."

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

I hit a car in a train station car parl last November. Responsibility was questionable as I was in the middle of a 3 piont turn then the other driver, who had been stopped, decided to scoot across behind me when she saw a bit of space.

Anyway, she got a written quote of €350 to repair her door which was reasonable. You get nothing for any less.

I paid her directly by cheque and got her to sign a letter something along the lines

"Received, the sum of €*** in full and final payment for damages arising from incident at 8am in "Address".

This payment is made without prejudice and in the understanding that neither party will have any further claim or counter claim in relation to the said incident. This matter is now closed."

Two copies, signed by both parties. and one copy each. Don't know or care at this stage if she ever got the car fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

oh ye the without prejudice part is important it means you are not accepting any responsibility and if it goes to court you are not prejudiced in anyway.........all payments from insurance companies etc are made without prejudice

Advertisement