Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What does the 'ECON' button do?

Options
  • 28-08-2007 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just wondering if anyone knows what the 'ECON' button does on car air conditioning systems (as opposed to the normal A/C button). I've asked a few people and seem to be getting different answers.

Cheers,

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

ECON is short for economy. When you use aircon you car uses more fuel running the aircon system. When you hit ECON you effectivly turn off aircon will get outside temp air and heated air same as a car with no AIrcon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Economey? Waht car is it? On the Mondeo it is for knocking the A/c off and running the fan only.

op.... 2 replies same answer. Turns aircon off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

dak wrote:
    op.... 2 replies same answer. Turns aircon off

Yeah, but only one has the correct spelling, therefor this could lead to more confusion!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Thanks for the replies. Hmmm, ok, if all the ECON button does is turn the air conditioning off, then why do I also have an 'A/C' button that also turns the air conditioning off. In addition, turning off the blower in the car will also switch off the air conditioning. I have 2 buttons: 'A/C' and 'ECON' beside eachother. It's a toyota import. I had heard that ECON affects the way the air conditioning works when 'stopped'. I presume this means the vehicle and not the engine.
    In addition, when I hit the ECON button, I still get cold air from the vents, as I do with the normal 'A/C' button, but it seems that both the 'A/C' and 'ECON' buttons are mutually exclusive, i.e. you can only have one or the other switched 'on'. I thought perhaps the ECON button works more efficiently but not as cold or something like that....

Cheers,

DC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

ECON means if you are sitting in traffic it won't burn as much fuel from your car, it will be slightly less effective than the A/C from what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

On European cars, the econ button, as previously said, disengages the a/c compressor. i vaguely remember reading somewhere that some JDM cars have two-stage a/c, where the econ button allows the a/c to function at a lower level. This is by no means gospel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

On the Audi A4 I have it just reduces the effectiveness of the aircon, i.e. the air's not as cool, so I just assumed it is using less fuel.

Here's another one for yis though. Inside the driver's door on my car, concealed in the storage bin under the arm rest, there's two small buttons, one showing what appears to illustrate a small signal being given out (sth to do with the alarm?) and the other showing a vehicle on a steep incline, rather like the warning sign on the road.

I looked it up in the manual but was left none the wiser, the explanation for the incline one rattled off something vague about towing?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Thanks for the replies folks, so it seems it's just a less cool but more effient air-con.
    Here's another one for yis though. Inside the driver's door on my car, concealed in the storage bin under the arm rest, there's two small buttons, one showing what appears to illustrate a small signal being given out (sth to do with the alarm?) and the other showing a vehicle on a steep incline, rather like the warning sign on the road.

I looked it up in the manual but was left none the wiser, the explanation for the incline one rattled off something vague about towing?

I've seen these buttons on the A4 too. Has one of them anything to do the with light on the ends of the doors when you open them?

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

At a guess, I would say both are for the alarm. One switches off the interior sensors (if say, you have a dog locked in the car!), and the other stops the alarm from going off if the car is being towed (front wheels lifted off road) by a recovery truck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I think Some Opels have the same thing, the Omega for instance(well the Omega with Climate Control certainly does have this button).

I know that old Mitsubishis with aircon(not Irish ones obviously, Mitsubishi Ireland didnt see the need to fit aircon(not Climate Control, AFAIK, the Pajero has had Climate Control for a good few years) on Irish spec cars until I think it was about 4 years ago with run out Carisma models), that there was an 'off', 'econ' and 'a/c' knob.

Did this do the same thing as described previously?

On the subject of this, what does the 'rest' button mean(as featured on BMWs and Mercs with Climate Control)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Anan1 wrote:
    On European cars, the econ button, as previously said, disengages the a/c compressor. i vaguely remember reading somewhere that some JDM cars have two-stage a/c, where the econ button allows the a/c to function at a lower level. This is by no means gospel though.

Indeed, the Mazda 6's climate control has an ECO mode. It still uses the A/C as normal, but at a reduced rate for some alleged amount of fuel efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

E92 wrote:
    On the subject of this, what does the 'rest' button mean(as featured on BMWs and Mercs with Climate Control)?
    It allows the heater to continue working for a time after the engine has been switched off, using a pump to bring warm coolant through the heater matrix.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

JoeA3 wrote:
    At a guess, I would say both are for the alarm. One switches off the interior sensors (if say, you have a dog locked in the car!), and the other stops the alarm from going off if the car is being towed (front wheels lifted off road) by a recovery truck.

this is correct, the first turns off interior sensors, the second the tilt sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yeah, but only one has the correct spelling, therefor this could lead to more confusion!!!:D
    Kettle, meet Pot. :p

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

copacetic wrote:
    this is correct, the first turns off interior sensors, the second the tilt sensor.

Ahhhhhhhh....thank you dudes....

esel wrote:
    Kettle, meet Pot. :p

Maybe you should be " ELSE"

Advertisement