Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best way to store car when away?

Options
  • 28-08-2007 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭

In October I'm going away for 10 weeks. I have a 2007 metallic black car and was wondering what is the best way to leave it while away?

We don't have a garage and I can leave it in the driveway however when I was in italy for 2 weeks in June my next door neighbour was doing some gardening for us and managed to scratch one side of the car :( So I was wondering about those plastic covers?

Also will I get someone to drive it for 30mins every 2 weeks or so or will it be OK without driving for the 10 weeks?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm very careful with it and keep it spotless in+out and just want to find it in the same condition as I leave it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'll bump this one up a bit.

Sorry I created 3 threads by accident as I had a system error and I can't edit one of them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I remember reading before that the plastic covers can cause a buildup of damp which can cause problems. That was with classics though where rustproofing was an afterthought. I also read somewhere about removing the battery, but with current electronics that may be a bad bet. I plead ignorance on that one though. I also recall reading it's a good bet to at least partially fill the petrol tank to prevent moisture buildup there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

Cheap covers will rub the paint off the corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'll take good care of it for you. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Re: moisture in the tank,

I'd fill it up to full as the more surface area you have free, the more available space for moisture to appear on. Common problem on boats stored over the winter.

My mother was away for about 8/10 weeks over the summer and did nothing special with her 02 corsa. It started up first time and all it needs is a bit of a wash...

• Advertisement

Hey thanks for the replies!

So I should just maybe leave it uncovered with a good waxing before I go?
    And not get it driven and fill the tank?

Any advice would be great lads - I tried google/yahoo and didn't get much

pllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaseee?

can anyone even point me in the right direction as can't really find anything on web?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Fill your tank to the brim

Take out your battery and put it on trickle charge

Can't comment on paint etc but what difference would driving it for 10 weeks / leaving it parked for 10 weeks gonna make as a difference? Still exposed to the elements

I thought about having it driven while I was away for the battery/engine not the elements. As in if someone drove it a few times would I bother taking out the battery etc?

I thought since it's a 07 it might be ok just leaving as is for the 10 weeks - I need it to start immediately when I'm home as it'll just be a day or 2 before xmas and ill be busy from the moment i land

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I thought about having it driven while I was away for the battery/engine not the elements. As in if someone drove it a few times would I bother taking out the battery etc?

I thought since it's a 07 it might be ok just leaving as is for the 10 weeks - I need it to start immediately when I'm home as it'll just be a day or 2 before xmas and ill be busy from the moment i land

Get someone to start and leave the engine run for 15 minutes every 2 - 3 weeks.
    It should be fine, Jap imports can be sitting there for 6 months and start no problem off the boat. Albeit with a very low battery.

Advertisement