Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darts for kids

• 28-08-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

My son is really into darts, which I don't know too much about. He is 9 yrs old. He has the safety darts/board but wants a "real one"

Is there a recommended height / distance for youngsters?

Does it matter at his age?

Are there smaller / lighter darts for youngsters?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

There is no recommended height for youngsters, if he really likes darts then you should just set the board at the proper height that it is set for adults. The only thing I will say is that he will need to stand on a chair or something in order to take the darts out of the board. If you feel this is too awkward then just set the board at a comfortable height for your child. I don't think it really matters at the age of 9 because as your child gets older and taller they will need to adjust their throw anyway to take the height difference into accordance. If you don't mid your child stepping on a chair to take the darts out then I suggest you set it up at the correct height.

As for darts, you can buy darts in a variety of weights ranging from anywhere between 12g to 40g. I throw a 21g darts and they are pretty light, a 9 year old would have no problem throwing them but you could buy a lighter set as well just in case. Darts are not expensive to buy, you could pick up a decent set for maybe €15 that should last for years.

One thing I will recommend is that you buy a surround for your dart board. These can be picked up in argos. Its basically a circle of foam that fits around the board so that if you miss the board you wont leave a hole in the wall.

If you have anymore questions then ask way and I'll be happy to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I have my 5 year old set up playing on a proper board with proper darts.

The dartboard is on a chair, and fits snugly in. And I raise it periodically by putting an extra cushion underneath. He's had a 140 but he prefers going for the bull. Obviously he can be erratic, but he's clean deadly at doubles.

We'd often play a set of 5 legs, me playing 301, him playing 201, but both have to finish on a double. He usually beats me 3-1, or 3-2 if I'm having a good day!

The centre of the bull is 5 foot 8 inches. So for a youngster, I think it makes sense to have the top of his head somewhere between the D20 and the bull, and gradually progress to the proper height until he reaches his full height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Jaysus the kid sounds lethal..............a 140 at 5 years of age........deadly.

One for the future wha.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah he would have the beating of me anyway. :cool:

I'll keep my eye out Rooster, you could have a future Irish star on your hands!

Advertisement