Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Antonio Puerta Dies at 22

• 28-08-2007 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Just seen it reported on SSN.

Such horrible news, can only hope and pray for his family.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

sad news alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

that's terrible, so young, how could that happen to someone so fit and healthy? it's mystifying.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

RIP, very sad news, he was a decent player tragic news infact. He actually managed to walk off the pitch after a suspected heart attack, but had a relapse in the changing rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

That's unbelievably sad news. His wife is pregnant too, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'm numb after hearing this:(

I watched the game live and I was fretting when I saw him collapse...was relieved when he walked off the pitch. Kept close tabs on his condition and found out that he had a history of fainting, but Sevilla could not get to the bottom of it. A huge inquiry will get under way now.

This brings back painful personal memories of a dear friend who died warming up on the pitch 5 years ago...this is just happening too often.

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

That is very sad news. I'm sure they will put it down to this famous title 'Sudden Death Syndrome' and leave it at that.
    RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

very sad he had his whole life and career ahead of him. :(

another sad day for football

R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Jesus! RIP.
    Very Young.

R.I.P

Shocking news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Awful news. Had read that he was critical since Saturday. Only 22 years old, shocking.

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

depressing as ****. so sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ansan

Here's a video of the incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFc25Hym6q8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Terrible news.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Terrible News.

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Shocking news.

RIP Antonio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Watched the match live and hoped he was ok but alas no. Died at a young age and full of potential.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I just saw the headline on a different site. Very sad news. It's scary when, like Miklos Feher, you see it happening through a television camera lens. R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Im sure they mentioned on a bulletin as well since this happened that he had passed a medical a few eeks ago. Scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

R.I.P

Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

An absolute tragedy. I remember feeling reflief after the weekend when it looked like he would pull through. I thought to myself, thankfully he didn't die like others have tragically before. Guys like this are idols, big strong men, whose fitness is pushed to the limit. Ultimately this highlights that they, like us, are fragile, all too fragile.

que en paz descanse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Could this have been prevented, do ye think? I mean, should players get heart scans before each season commences? I mean, this isn't exactly the first time this has happened within the past decade (Remember Marc Vivien Foe?).

Anyway, I can't believe he's dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    An absolute tragedy. I remember feeling reflief after the weekend when it looked like he would pull through. I thought to myself, thankfully he didn't die like others have tragically before. Guys like this are idols, big strong men, whose fitness is pushed to the limit. Ultimately this highlights that they, like us, are fragile, all too fragile.

que en paz descanse

I know, its crazy. Somebody really is gonna have to find a better explanation for this, it seems to be getting more common if anything.

Absolute tragedy for a man in his prime (insane to think he's 2 years younger then me!)

R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Horrible Horrible news :(, RIP Antonio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The fact that he was only 22 and this the start of his first season with a real go at the first team is what makes this so tragic.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

that is so crazy. was watching that match and didnt have a clue what had happened. very sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

its even worse after watching him walk off...

very sad...RIP

proper screening needs to be done full stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Such a tragic week for football - R.I.P Antonio :(

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Kevster wrote:
    Could this have been prevented, do ye think? I mean, should players get heart scans before each season commences? I mean, this isn't exactly the first time this has happened within the past decade (Remember Marc Vivien Foe?).

Anyway, I can't believe he's dead.

I believe that they had suspected that he may have had some sort of a medical condition for some weeks now. He had been given a full medical including x-rays and scans but unfortunately they found nothing. It's a bit of a mystery really.

R.I.P from a Verdi Blanco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

terrible news and its happening far to often.

rip

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

So, so sad to hear. It is shocking how it has become common for athletes to die while playing their sport nowadays. It was almost unheard of in the 90's, why this sudden upsurge? Is it training? Diets? ???

RIP Antonio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

These type of stories really scare the bejebus out of me.

Seeing him walking off the pitch too and then having another relapse.

RIP

Would i be stupid in considering that this is more common these days due to perhaps the use of performance ehancing drugs etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I doubt that's the case.

A friend of mine died in these exact circumstances at 14 years of age, 5 years ago.
    Then more recently the brother of an Eircom League player Robbie Doyle from Bray died the same way playing astro turf with another close friend of mine.

Obviously neither of them were on performance enhancing drugs...it's not just happening to professional athletes:(

It's hard to understand and very difficult to accept, so unfair:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Must have been some type of heart defect. Surprising that it was not picked up on given the medicals these guys go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

R.I.P

this is tragic news, he had recently made his international debut also

a player collapsed tonight at the leicester v notts forest game and is in a very serious condition.... doesn't look good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

RIP
    I was watching this live and it was very disturbing - not that my sensitivities are the priority here! Condolences to his family and team mates. I hope some more rigorous screening programme is introduced on a wider basis to help detect these issues sooner rather than later!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I loved this guy. This is so sad, R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

C0-sign Besty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm in total shock. The guy was the reason I watched Sevilla. He tore Barcelona apart in the European Super Cup a while back and was just quality. A direct winger who could dribble brilliantly and had a lovely left foot. Loved playing as him in Pro Evo too! I'll miss him.

R.I.P. Antonio Puerta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Sad Stuff

RIP

Mikeyt086 wrote:
    The fact that he was only 22 and this the start of his first season with a real go at the first team is what makes this so tragic.

R.I.P.
    Actually to be honest, in situations like this the football aspect is virtually irrelevent. The tragedy is the guy was 22 years of age, a few months younger than me, and his gilfriend was is pregnant with his child. Its awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Irish international Clive Clarke suffered a heart attack at half time of Nottm Forest v Leicester last night. The game was abandoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

crazy to see him walk off the pitch and then hear he died afterwards! poor guy.
    and to think he passed a medical examination etc so recently, makes it even more scary!!
    RIP and hope his family are ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

He was an up and coming star.His partner is 7 and a half months pregnant. Poor kid, he/she will never get to know their father.

At 22, he has will forever be remembered in Sevilla's history as the man who scored the goal to send them to their first ever UEFA Cup final and he was the man who scored the winning penalty against Espanyol in the UEFA Cup final a year later.

Puerta 1-0 Schalke, UEFA Cup semi-final - Extra time

R.I.P. Antonio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

like anyone who was watching that match on tv i was so relieved to see him get up and walk off the pitch after his initial collapse, to hear that he died later is surreal and beyond sad. only 22 with so much ahead of him in football and in life, so tragic :(:(:(

R.I.P Antonio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Super Cup Final tomorrow night will go ahead as planned but as a tribute to Antonio Puerta. The Sup[er Cup is never really played at a fast pace, but I assume this one will be even slower as I cannot imagine the Sevilla players being in the right frame of mind so soon after loosing their team mate.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Some nice reading for a change:
    "I know I am extremely fortunate to be here," said Clarke.

"In the light of recent events involving footballers who have suffered heart attacks, I am the real lucky one, because I have survived."

And Clarke added: "I remember feeling a bit lethargic on the field in the first half, and I was involved in a collision with our goalkeeper Paul Henderson, which led to their goal.

"I sat quietly in a corner of the dressing room and felt a bit queasy. I can recall Patrick Kisnorbo talking to me, but it wasn't really registering. Then I just passed out.

"When I was told what had happened, the blood drained from my body. I just thought I could have been dead, and that I might never have seen my family again.

"When you think about Sevilla player Antonio Puerta (who collapsed last Saturday and died on Tuesday), it goes without saying that a day won't pass when I don't cherish every moment in my life."

Advertisement