Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheamus O'Shaunessy Signs WWE 3 Year Deal...

• 28-08-2007 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Worst Kept secret in da world but here's confirmation:

http://www.sosofficial.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1133
    Irish professional Wrestler Sheamus O’Shaunessy – The Irish Curse has just signed a 3 year contract with World Wrestling Entertainment Inc (WWE) and is set to report to their Florida training facility on the 17th of September. The red haired Dublin giant is overjoyed with this next step to becoming a wrestling superstar – ‘SOS’ is chomping-at-the-bit to get over to the USA and give them a real taste of the fighting Irish!

The six-foot-six grappler said of his appointment: “My manager Ray Senior and I are delighted with this massive development. We set out on this path nearly two years ago, keeping our sights firmly on the WWE. It was such a long shot for a lad from Cabra on the North side of Dublin to even dream about following in the footsteps of true wrestling legends, but with a lot of hard work and focus, I have finally got my foot on the first step of the ladder.”

The 20 Stone Irish man will commence his training in the WWE’s development territory in Tampa, Florida. Run by former wrestling superstar Steve Keirn, Florida Championship Wrestling (FCW) is the WWE’s new state-of-the-art facility and will give Sheamus the opportunity work with the world famous organization’s current crop of stars and also the next batch of super-human fighters. But this is by no means a guarantee of success for the Dubliner, merely a huge opportunity to showcase his talents to WWE chief Vince McMahon.

Sheamus said: “I’m under no illusion that this is going to be easy; in fact it’s going to be the hardest challenge of my life. Getting this far has been extremely tough; rising to the top of the WWE roster will take a whole other level of determination, dedication and probably even luck! But with my Celtic heritage behind me and the warrior spirit that drives me, I know I can stand apart from other wrestlers. I just want American and worldwide audiences to take this ginger lad to their hearts and embrace my character and culture.”

O’Shaunessy has been wrestling since 2002 but a neck injury put him out of action. He got back in the ring in 2004 but it was only in the past two years that he decided that it was now-or-never and went after WWE scouts each time they ventured across the pond. With successive trials in Manchester, Rome and finally in London this year, Sheamus eventually got the nod from talent spotters Mike Bucci and John Laurinaitis and drafted to Florida.

SOS said: “I’m coming from a long line of Irish wrestlers who have captured the imagination of the public and I doubt I will be the last. With the likes Danno O’Mahony, Giant Haystacks and Fit Finlay in that lineage, there is an Irish pedigree in professional wrestling that I want to be a part of and mentioned in the same breath as these Gaelic greats.”

He went on: “My first call is going to be to Irish Amercians. My dream is to see them fill Madison Square Garden with a sea of green the next time the WWE put on a show there with Sheamus O’Shaunessy on the bill. If I can get the Irish abroad behind me I know I can take this all the way to the top and one-day become WWE world heavyweight champion. That’s my goal, that’s all I have ever wanted.”

Sheamus O’Shaunessy would also like to acknowledge and thank Leah Burke for costume design, Allen Doyle for composing ‘The Irish Curse’ theme tune, Sean Herbert from the TWC Fight TV channel, Irish Whip Wrestling (IWW) for supporting him as their two-time Irish heavyweight champion, and lastly the Irish media for all of their support thus far...

For more information on Sheamus O’Shaunessy please visit his official website: www.sosofficial.com or to message him direct via his MySpace page: www.myspace.com/sosofficial.

YAY!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

He's optimistic if not slightly dillusional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

he is optimistic alrite but confidence and optimism is really needed in spades if one is to make it as a pro-wrestler in the States.

I think if he worked hard at the "Irish warrior" gimmick it could draw over there. He needs to enroll in acting classes as soon as he gets to Florida though to give his character more depth. Laurinaitis sure does love big guys :rolleyes:

I can see WWE repackaging SOS with some silly Irish gimmick (brother of hornswoggle :eek:), look at what they have done to poor Ryan Wilson :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

rossie1977 wrote:
    look at what they have done to poor Ryan Wilson :(

He's The Man From The Woods! Great gimmick!

Having seen some of the other big guys WWE have signed from Europe, Sheamus has his work cut out for him if he wants to make it. I haven't seen him in about a year now though, so hopefully he's already improved a bit

Definitely putting a lot of spin on the whole thing in that article

Fozzy wrote:

Having seen some of the other big guys WWE have signed from Europe, Sheamus has his work cut out for him if he wants to make it. I haven't seen him in about a year now though, so hopefully he's already improved a bit

I seriously doubt the WWE are signing SOS for his wrestling talent though :D Maybe i was hallucinating last sunday night/monday morning but i thought i saw those two fine technical mat wrestlers Dalip Singh and David Bautista battling it out in the Smackdown main event at Summerslam :confused:

I haven't kept up-to-date with the whole WWE/European thing; who else apart from SOS and Drew Galloway have they signed from this side of the pond??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

He's going to FCW? How funny would it be if Nattie Neidhart hands him his ass? ;)

VR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Its not his wrestling skill I'm worried about, its his lack of charisma that may hold him back.

Hope he does well though.

SOS = big guy, no wrestling talent, little or no charisma; surely the Smackdown world champ by the end of the year so :rolleyes:

The other European wrestlers who were reported as signing were Stu Sanders, Murat Bosporous, Chris Chaos and Taylor Phoenix. The ones who have been reported as already being signed are Drew Galloway, Hade Vansen and SOS. Drew's very good, Vansen not so much. But he's big! As are all the others
    He's going to FCW? How funny would it be if Nattie Neidhart hands him his ass? ;)

She's been in OVW for the last two months

Colour me very wrong then! :)
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭irishhack

WOW nice comments guys :rolleyes:

What's that thing they say about Ireland being a country full of......?

Where's all the love for our brother Shea going to States whupp some arse? As long as he brings factor 8000 he'll be grand, u watch me bhouyos :p

• Advertisement

And yet again, irishhack can't take the criticism of SOS. :rolleyes:
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

And yet again, irishhack can't take the criticism of SOS. :rolleyes:
    VR!

Indeed, cause heaven forbid that as wrestling fans we might have an opinion on what we percieve as his wrestling ability/charisma, etc.

Fair play for him getting in the WWE training ground, but IMO opinion there are far better talents out there then him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

True but that has not stopped others of lesser talent from going to WWE and doing well there at the expense of those with greater wrestling talent. I salute him for having the conviction to stick with his dream. As i bet many people told him he was daft to pursue it.

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Indeed, cause heaven forbid that as wrestling fans we might have an opinion on what we percieve as his wrestling ability/charisma, etc.

Fair play for him getting in the WWE training ground, but IMO opinion there are far better talents out there then him

Yeah but dude this story is on loads of other (arguably better IMO) message boards around the world (eg Chris Jerico's & numerous others) and the general feedback is very positive and most 'wrestling fans' seem truly excited. Yet here we are at home slating the poor bloke for making it this far despite this type of criticism.

And guess what's really gonna annoy you experts? he's gonna make it :D hee hee

Actually scratch all that, you lads are right.

(Mental Note: don't argue with the wrestling fans on boards.ie, they're a feckin' lynch mob!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I salute him for having the conviction to stick with his dream. As i bet many people told him he was daft to pursue it.

The same has to be said for any other irish wrestlers(there are many) who have been in the business since it took off here in the last few years.The signing is great news for irish wrestlers but not so good for wrestling

irishhack wrote:

Or so you hope, otherwise you're out of a job too!
    If he does make it, fair balls to him. However nobody here has claimed to be an expert though, that's your wording, not ours, so I for one have no idea where you got that from!
    irishhack wrote:

(Mental Note: don't argue with the wrestling fans on boards.ie, they're a feckin' lynch mob!)

No, and i speak for myself here, but I am a wrestling fan who was burnt out of seeing him do the same sh*t on a different night every time he performed in IWW. Now if he's improved since then, i for one would like to see it.

As for us being a lynch mob, if thats how you sincerely feel, why keep posting here? You know the general response you're gonna get regarding him. Why bother bitching about it every time? It's up to HIM to prove to Ireland and the rest of the world that he actually has got the talent. He got signed by the WWE, so did Zach Gowan!

VR!

irishhack wrote:
    Yeah but dude this story is on loads of other (arguably better IMO) message boards around the world (eg Chris Jerico's & numerous others) and the general feedback is very positive and most 'wrestling fans' seem truly excited. Yet here we are at home slating the poor bloke for making it this far despite this type of criticism.

How many fans on Jericho's message board have actually seen SOS though? I don't know him personally at all, but I've seen him wrestle and cut promos plenty of times and I'm of the opinion that he's not very good at all. I don't think "Irish begrudgery" has anything to do with it, there was a thread about Fergal Devitt doing well for himself a while ago and the general discussion was that he's talented and fair play to him

He might make it in WWE alright, but so did guys like Mike Knox, the fake Kane, Sylvan Grenier and The Miz, and I don't know too many people who were happy to see the likes of them on their tv screens. As I've said, if SOS improves from how he was the last time I saw him then I wouldn't mind seeing him on tv. But I'd rather not have him on just because he's Irish, I still think a certain amount of talent is needed

I've got to admit though, one thing that does get to me about SOS is his manager, I mean how many other wrestlers does anyone know who have managers? An indy wrestler at that! I think that rubs some people the wrong way, along with him doing bit parts in some films, sort of makes it look like he's not fully focused on wrestling

My point is that any negative feedback towards SOS is not a general opinion here of Irish wrestlers, just of SOS himself. And it's not based on nothing

No, and i speak for myself here, but I am a wrestling fan who was burnt out of seeing him do the same sh*t on a different night every time he performed in IWW.

Ahhh now it becomes clear. Recent! :D Seriously dude just yankin yer chain, just trying to spread positivity. Plus i aint gonna win so I give up, didn't ya read my mental note?? ;)

Can we go back to slagging John Cena now?

Fozzy wrote:
    How many fans on Jericho's message board have actually seen SOS though? I don't know him personally at all, but I've seen him wrestle and cut promos plenty of times and I'm of the opinion that he's not very good at all. I don't think "Irish begrudgery" has anything to do with it, there was a thread about Fergal Devitt doing well for himself a while ago and the general discussion was that he's talented and fair play to him

He might make it in WWE alright, but so did guys like Mike Knox, the fake Kane, Sylvan Grenier and The Miz, and I don't know too many people who were happy to see the likes of them on their tv screens. As I've said, if SOS improves from how he was the last time I saw him then I wouldn't mind seeing him on tv. But I'd rather not have him on just because he's Irish, I still think a certain amount of talent is needed

I've got to admit though, one thing that does get to me about SOS is his manager, I mean how many other wrestlers does anyone know who have managers? An indy wrestler at that! I think that rubs some people the wrong way, along with him doing bit parts in some films, sort of makes it look like he's not fully focused on wrestling

My point is that any negative feedback towards SOS is not a general opinion here of Irish wrestlers, just of SOS himself. And it's not based on nothing

Well argued and clearer to me now, and yes that manager is a w**ker!!

irishhack wrote:
    Ahhh now it becomes clear. Recent! :D Seriously dude just yankin yer chain, just trying to spread positivity. Plus i aint gonna win so I give up, didn't ya read my mental note?? ;)

Recent, sure - how much longer are we talking here. How many wrestling appearances has he made since his departure from IWW? Wasn't that around the time he got a manager? Doesn't look like he's doing his job well, a part in a movie and some name throwing regarding WWE. We hadn't heard about the guy in months before this! Where is he?

I'm all on for positivity, but come on, as far as the wrestling side is concerned, he hasn't done jack in the guts of a year!

VR!

• Advertisement

Recent, sure - how much longer are we talking here. How many wrestling appearances has he made since his departure from IWW? Wasn't that around the time he got a manager? Doesn't look like he's doing his job well, a part in a movie and some name throwing regarding WWE. We hadn't heard about the guy in months before this! Where is he?

I'm all on for positivity, but come on, as far as the wrestling side is concerned, he hasn't done jack in the guts of a year!

VR!

Trying to get out of this argument here, but come on, ur on fricken crazy pills. Just look at his site, he hasnt stopped wrasslin' since he left: http://www.sosofficial.com/fights.shtml

PLUS he just signed to the WWE!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr - talk about annoying!! No ur right dude he hasn't been busy at all............. where's that mental note gone?

I'm on the crazy pills? Since when did being under the guise of a security guard and getting a finisher (in a match he wasn't even part of) count as a fight? Given how fabricated that is alone, god knows how many other fabrications there are on that list.

On a more serious note, how many of those matches have actually been televised? My point is, for all thats listed there, few people have heard of him since November!

VR!

I'm on the crazy pills? Since when did being under the guise of a security guard and getting a finisher (in a match he wasn't even part of) count as a fight? Given how fabricated that is alone, god knows how many other fabrications there are on that list.

On a more serious note, how many of those matches have actually been televised? My point is, for all thats listed there, few people have heard of him since November!

VR!

As i said before mate I'm not gonna win here so i wanna get out of this while the going is good. Just find it sorta funny that ur name is 'Valid Reasoning' that's all :D

(BTW I'd say a hell of a lot more people have heard of him since november then before. Just a guess though :rolleyes: )

Well other than his two NLW appearances, i for one would be interested in hearing if anyone else has heard of his stuff elsewhere. As noted by Fozzy earlier, we've heard what Fergal Devitt gets up to in Japan (and his prior bookings in the US and Canada years before that), it gets discussed here quite often. But uh.... the only time we hear about SOS is when you post.

I'd find that reasoning perfectly valid, to be honest ;) I find it even funnier that as his PR guy, you'll sit up til 1am in the morning arguing with a fan online too. But maybe thats just my sense of humour.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

irishhack wrote:

I don't know which is more concerning; that should SOS make it onto TV he'll no doubt become Hornswoggle's side-kick, or that you, presumably his agent, seem oblivous to his faults.

I'm sure everyone here would love to see SOS headline Madison Square Garden, but that will never happen if Sheamus and his management ignore the constructive critiscism on display here.

I'm sure everyone here would love to see SOS headline Madison Square Garden, but that will never happen if Sheamus and his management ignore the constructive critiscism on display here.

Actually on that note, and i guess this is proof that PR and Marketing aren't always right, In 1994, the WCW marketing people basically said that a guy wearing a pair of black boots and black trunks couldn't be marketed and would get nowhere.

... three years later Steve Austin becomes a household name and a further year after that took the record for the most amount of merchandise sold in wrestling.

You might want to take this on board when arguing with a bunch of "internet experts", irishhack ;)

VR!

NOTED! But c'mon have u seen some of the VALID arguments here?? I think Blade said it best when he said: "Some motherf**kers always tryin' to iceskate up hill!"

I'm outta this one now - feels loike i keep saying that!

Oooooh the digs! God, however will i sleep at night? :)
    It doesn't just feel like you're saying it, you ARE saying it.

My points were indeed valid, SOS didn't have a match with DX last year, he was involved in a 20 second segment, he has had no televised matches since, has made two Irish appearances since last November and the only time we ever hear about the guy is when you come on here.

If you want to dispute this all night, you're welcome to do so. Facts are facts though.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Oooooh the digs! God, however will i sleep at night? :)
    It doesn't just feel like you're saying it, you ARE saying it.

My points were indeed valid, SOS didn't have a match with DX last year, he was involved in a 20 second segment, he has had no televised matches since, has made two Irish appearances since last November and the only time we ever hear about the guy is when you come on here.

If you want to dispute this all night, you're welcome to do so. Facts are facts though.

VR!

Let's face it, VR, you never sleep well, no need to blame Ireland's Clarence Mason :P

We all seen the clip of the "match" with DX; it was a case of (insert random local guy's name) taking a move from big name in the ring. It could have been anybody; it just happened to be him. Like, fair play to him for being there to have the chance, but that's a match? I guess Steve Austin had millions of matches with all those stunners he dished out in his time beating up security guards on Raw as well :rolleyes:

Indeed, some of the "matches" on that list were try outs, I'm suprised that SOS didn't put in a few bar brawls in those movies as being battle royals, growling at a stubborn benchpress or the time he tripped over a skipping rope in Jackie Skelly's :D

Seriously, though, I wish SOS the very best of luck with this break. In Steve Keirns he has an excellent (And very underrated) mentor, he will do well if he puts in the work.

• Advertisement

In 1994, the WCW marketing people basically said that a guy wearing a pair of black boots and black trunks couldn't be marketed and would get nowhere.

But Austin was more then black boots and trunks - he had charisma, he had in-ring skill, I mean before the whole neck thingy, he was more then a stomp, stomp, stomp, walking mudhole-dry, flip guy off, stunner, yay.

Last word on this fellas.

Totally agree with ur assessments of the ginger lad while he was wrestling in Ireland way back when. Totally sh*te.

But he's been on a journey around the UK & Europe since then and had a few WWE bumps, trials and even a dark mark match. A few small roles in movies and TV bits. And loads of media coverage.

Now he's gone into development with the WWE so the next time you see him (God knows when that will be) I'd say it will be a total different entity & most likely all of the weaknesses you pointed out will be long gone.

I predict you lads will end up eating-your-words, and if he has it in him to get to the top then he should be appaulded. If you remain biased at that point, well then, i suspect you're just being bitter.

I tell you what. If SOS makes it onto the regular WWE roster and you're still not impressed I'll pay for that sex-change Valid Reasoning's been pining for - Now I cant be fairer than that ;)

Hamndegger wrote:
    Let's face it, VR, you never sleep well, no need to blame Ireland's Clarence Mason :P

I totally disagree with that statement and request for it to be removed IMMEDIATELY!!!! ;)

VR!

irishhack wrote:
    I tell you what. If SOS makes it onto the regular WWE roster and you're still not impressed I'll pay for that sex-change Valid Reasoning's been pining for - Now I cant be fairer than that ;)

No, but you could try and be professional and keep the personal insults out of it.

Oh wait, being professional and irishhack don't go in hand, do they? :)
    VR!

Oh wait, being professional and irishhack don't go in hand, do they? :) VR!

Did u see my bit on SOS in the Sun today (page 8)... Not saying I'm "professional" or anything but in journalistic terms I do get paid for this crap unlike u dudes.

PS I'm not a PR nor an Agent, just a humble Hack! An under paid one too :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

[QUOTE=fatal]The same has to be said for any other irish wrestlers(there are many) who have been in the business since it took off here in the last few years.The signing is great news for irish wrestlers but not so good for wrestling[/QUOTE]

Agreed.
    In an ideal world those Irish wrestlers with a greater talent would get a deal too. I'm not favouring him over others just showing my appreciation for his determination to realise his dream when others around him may have discouraged him.

• Advertisement

irishhack wrote:
    Did u see my bit on SOS in the Sun today (page 8).

Nope because I dont read newspapers - so either linky or repost will do nicely

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Nope because I dont read newspapers - so either linky or repost will do nicely

What? Don't read papers?? You know this internet thing will never catch on ;)

The Sun? Hah, what a quality paper! You must be so proud. ;)
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Low blow VR, wouldn't have expected that from you ;)

Fair play to SOS, hopefully he does well. I'm not a fan of him at all, but it's good to see him get a chance. Who knows, he might come out of Florida as a good all round preformer. Yanks love us Irish anyway, so I think he'll do well, initially at least.

Hopefully the "Mesage in a Bottle" chant catches on!

Double C wrote:
    Low blow VR, wouldn't have expected that from you ;)

What can i say? I like to share! ;)
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Or so you hope, otherwise you're out of a job too!
    He got signed by the WWE, so did Zach Gowan!

VR!

Did you just call SOS handicapped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

the last time i saw sos was in waterford when he was teaming with chad collier, and his weaknesses showed up very noticeably, stumbling over his words in promos, compared to collier he sounded like a trainee in his first year of wrestling

My impression of sos is that hes limited in what he can do but has a modicum of potential, and perhaps with this developmental deal and him relocating to florida and training under steve keirns he may gain the polish he so desperately needs

So i wish him all the best and see where he goes from here

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adembroski

An Irish accent in the United States is instant charisma, so that'll help him a lot.

He's not going to get the Irish-American fans, however, unless he goes directly too them. A South Boston style Irish brawler is a better gimmick, complete with pub promos and Guinness flowing like water. Might seem stereotypical, but Irish-Americans embrace their own stereotypes.

Sort of an Irish Steve Austin, if you get my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Stop knocking the guy, lads.

Why can't we support him, wish him all the best, and hope he becomes a success. Wouldn't it be great to see one of our own strut his stuff in the WWE?

Lets see if he gets his chance, and judge him on that.

SOS is fully aware of the challenge that sits in front of him. And lets not forget he's going to be in training for a while before he gets his chance. I'm sure he knows what to work on, and is aware mic skills and charisma will play a big role in it.

I think if they team him up with Finlay (an obvious choice), it will really help him develop. He has the perfect in, especially if they keep Finlay in a feud with someone. They could bring SOS in as his bodyguard..done many times before for others to give them a push.

He can only get better once he starts working with them.

Personally, I wish him all the best, and hope he gets a chance to show the WWE what he can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i don't think i'm white enough to care about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

fair play to him i say,its all well and good to say hes got no talent and will never go anywhere, but hes going to be working for the wwe while we'll all be sitting at home watching it and bitching about it on internet forums, i know id rather be in his shoes right now

krudler wrote:
    its all well and good to say hes got no talent and will never go anywhere

Nobody's said that he won't go anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Heard him on Spin 1038 today, he was in the studio talking about his contract and bigging himself up about his character and all that. Saying things along the lines of theres too many pretty, tanned wrestlers in the WWE today and they need more red-head, white skinned, different looking wrestlers to mix things up a little. Snitsky came to mind when he mentioned this!!

Seems like he has the confidence thats needed but that doesn't translate into success in the US by any means. Not sure if fans will take to his look, etc, but who knows.

I Wish him the best of luck none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gm1984 wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

the gaa are far too backward to ever let that happen

• Advertisement
Advertisement