Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Got the Divine Heresy album today!

• 28-08-2007 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely kickass stuff! I'm really enjoying it a lot, and it's possibly one of the best releases of recent months, which is great considering the absolutely muck that was Dino's last effort, Asesino.

The vocalist is probably the only criticism, but I'm just not a fan of the hardcore style vocals at all, I wouldn't prefered something more like Dave Vincent style vocals. With that said though, the guy is a lot more bareable than most singers who practice that kinda hardcore style vocals in a Death Metal context.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

jesus those lads would put away a few burgers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The vocalist is probably the only criticism, but I'm just not a fan of the hardcore style vocals at all.
    I would have wanted to check this out but I feel the same about hardcore vocals so I'm torn on this....it could be a huge waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Personally I like the vocals but I am not a big fan of the drumming. It's probably a stupid sounding criticism but it's like he tries to fit as much as possible into his beat, like instead of hitting the double bass drums eight or sixteen times a second he has to go for thirty two. Fair play to the guy for being so fast but slow down a bit!
    Anyway album highlights for me are Bleed The Fifth, Impossible Is Nothing and the last 45 seconds or so of Rise Of The Scorned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I would have wanted to check this out but I feel the same about hardcore vocals so I'm torn on this....it could be a huge waste of money.

sample before buying...ahem... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

sample before buying...ahem... ;)
    I'll look around to see if any of my friends own it...but that's about as far as I would go on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Hmm. The vocals are kinda less barky and buzzsawy than I was expecting, can't say I mind them too much. Have to say, get me a little bit of an Unearth vibe off some of this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

malice_ wrote:
    Personally I like the vocals but I am not a big fan of the drumming. It's probably a stupid sounding criticism but it's like he tries to fit as much as possible into his beat, like instead of hitting the double bass drums eight or sixteen times a second he has to go for thirty two. Fair play to the guy for being so fast but slow down a bit!

I'm of the thought "If you got it, use it!" so I like the drumming. The double bassis very much in sync with Dino's picking, which gives it a good sound in my opinion.

I'm of the thought "If you got it, use it!" so I like the drumming. The double bassis very much in sync with Dino's picking, which gives it a good sound in my opinion.
    You're dead right, it does sound great. My gripe is that doing similar ultra fast beats for a whole song reduces the impact of the drumming overall. A good example of what I mean is to listen to Pisschrist by Fear Factory. A lot of the song consists of very fast double bass drum beats but at various times the drummer slows down which makes the faster drums stand out when they come back in again. Mind you, that is also probably down to the tremendous mixing job that was done on the Demanufacture album.
    Contrast that then with, for example, Impossible is Nothing by Divine Heresy. There are various quiet parts on there that I think would have benefitted from the drummer giving his feet a rest.

Dynamics are always a good thing, so I agree with you in principle, but in practice I've found that there are far, far worse bands for blasting right the way through the entire album, so Divine Heresy seems tame in comparison to more monotonous bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,840 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I was looking forward to it when I saw the clip of the jam session on youtube but im not a fan of those vocals at all, its a tad bit EMO as well.

• Advertisement

Dynamics are always a good thing, so I agree with you in principle, but in practice I've found that there are far, far worse bands for blasting right the way through the entire album, so Divine Heresy seems tame in comparison to more monotonous bands.
    Yep, there's definitely far worse but I don't listen to those bands at all. I'm not going to name any group in particular in case I upset their fanboys :)
    Gintonious wrote:
    its a tad bit EMO as well.
    :confused:

malice_ wrote:
    :confused:

Seconded.

A bit emo? WTF? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

A bit emo:eek:
    Seriously are you listening to what I'm listening to..

Just because a band plays with emotion doesn't make them emo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,840 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Some of the vocals remind me of a variety of EMO bands, the vocals definitly bring this band down!

Gintonious wrote:
    Some of the vocals remind me of a variety of EMO bands
    :confused: You're going to have to do better than that. Are you talking about the clean vocals like for example 1:02 into Failed Creation or 1:41 into Impossible Is Nothing? If so, I must listen some more to bands like My Chemical Romance etc. I've obviously missed their best work. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'd say he means the metalcore vibes which I too got from the song. To be slightly more specific they were Killswitch Engage vibes but with a heavier sound overall thanks to Dino's machinegun style riffing and the double bass. Not too bad overall though, may pick this album up.

I'll bite my tongue on the metalcore/emo thing though, mainly becuase I find it hard to debate something I find so amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

Gintonious wrote:
    Some of the vocals remind me of a variety of EMO bands, the vocals definitly bring this band down!

:rolleyes:

Is it just me or is EMO in block capitals simply the latest way to quickly dismiss something that isn't quite to your taste?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Maybe he is uncomfortable with the religious double-meanings of the lyrics that sound like someone from the Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon?

Ok, this is getting a bit off-topic, lets steer it back on course people.

• Advertisement

Ok sorry, does anyone have a favourite song off the album? I can't really decide personally but if I had to I'd choose Bleed The Fifth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Heard Failed Creation today, was quite impressed. Whats the rest of the album like in comparison? Have I already listened to the high-point or is the best yet to come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I think this album is one the best I've heard in long time, I haven't stopped listening to it in weeks, I love the vocals he goes from screaming to clean so easily.

It's so brutal and heavy yet melodic at times, its the perfect balance out of a lot of bands that try to do that singy screamy variant. And what about "Closure" the last track, Its beautiful.

Heard Failed Creation today, was quite impressed. Whats the rest of the album like in comparison? Have I already listened to the high-point or is the best yet to come?
    Barring the one poster who thinks the vocals are Emo, I think everyone liked it so it's probably a safe bet to pick up the album. I reckon that if you like Failed Creation, you'll like the rest of the album.
    AlcoholicA wrote:
    And what about "Closure" the last track, Its beautiful.
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it beautiful but it is still a very good song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I think its been nearly 2 months since I got this album and I still cant put it down.

I think its one of the best albums ive ever heard.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Dino's been shooting his mouth off recently about how this band is so much better than Fear Factory and how he was the soul of FF, but I'd rather listen to recent FF than Divine Heresy to be honest and thats not saying much. The riffs aren't there for me with these guys. Technically impressive : yes, though. The drummer is with another band called World Under Blood with Deron Miller of CKY on guitar/vox, they have a few songs on myspace, check them out:

http://myspace.com/worldunderblood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

thats pretty cool, is he actually drumming or is that a machine, it's uber fast

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

yep he's really drumming, he sure is nippy

Advertisement