Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing butter

• 28-08-2007 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

hi. i'm wondering what to use instead of butter in dishes where they advise to use oil AND butter- in most recipes i just replace the butter with olive or nut oil but some recipes ask for both- for instance if a recipe states to soften somethin in butter or add butter after the oil or with the oil. i can't use margerine or anythin butter flavoured basically so i'm wonderin if anybody has any suggestions or will i just use oil? also is it ok to use oil to soften spuds when your mashing them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055109978&referrerid=59211 might be useful to read.

You can use oil in mash, but well..it'll make it oily and not add much to it. Milk perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, most recipes should be grand with oil instead of butter.
    for mash, i'd suggest just using milk and seasoning, as said :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Sometimes I use half fat creme fraiche instead of butter in mash.
    Especially nice in Champ.

as for butter and oil, the oil is used to stop the butter burning.
    Most of the olive spreads can be used to cook with.
    I think "Pure" the soya spread can be cooked with too. (90c in Tesco)

Advertisement