Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia OR New Zealand

• 28-08-2007 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

The plan is to head off in January for a year.. I know i want to see both Australia & New Zealand, But i can't decide which one to get a One Year working holiday visa for.

My only push towards nz is that:
    At the moment Australia seems to be the student clichéd trip, almost like Boston.

But i don't know

Any advice?:confused:

Comments

Cannon wrote:
    The plan is to head off in January for a year.. I know i want to see both Australia & New Zealand, But i can't decide which one to get a One Year working holiday visa for.

My only push towards nz is that:
    At the moment Australia seems to be the student clichéd trip, almost like Boston.

But i don't know

Any advice?:confused:

Personally, if I was taking a year out I wouldn't care less what anyone else thinks about cliches. It'll be what you make it.

Oz and NZ are very different places. What interests you more? What do you want to see and do?
    I loved Oz, I was into scuba diving, wanted to spend time in the Red Centre, loved living by the beach. It's a massive country and the landscape varies hugely from state to state.
    It's really whatever you want yourself. Bear in mind it's not hard to get to NZ from Oz for a couple of months if you fancy seeing both places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

One of the main reasons I preferred NZ to Oz was the distinct lack of 18 year old gap students going to Jelly wrestling and Ms. Backpacker competitions in the bars. Parts of the east coast, beautiful and all, felt overrun with students, and it got very tiring while staying in the hostels etc.

Having said that, I absolutely loved Melbourne and I heard the west coast is amazing. Scuaba on the Barrier Reef was top notch too ... so it really depends on what sort of experience you're looking for.

NZ, although quieter, had great hostel accomodation and was breathtakingly beautiful!

Do both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Get 1 year visa for Australia, and at the end travel to NZ and see all the sites, before making your way back through Asia... Give Asia as much time as you can its awesome.. The reason I say go with Oz is down to one simple factor - Weather. The NZ climate is not that far removed from our lovely Irish climate, whereas in Oz, if you plan it right, you can always be in the sun..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

I did the year in Australia and im now in the middle of a year in NZ.
    Very different, Oz has the sun and more of a party atmosphere and is full of many like minded people getting drunk ... this is all well and good but it can get tiring.

NZ is more about scenery and the outdoors , ive just spent the weekend snowboarding and go camping alot.

But .. the weather here can be as bad as home.

My advice, goto Oz and get a holiday in for NZ , if like me you love it , then head to NZ for a year ! Why not ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Why not get the visa for both. They aren't expensive. Or get the one for New Zealand go there if you dont like it or it doesn't work out job wise apply for the Australian one. It only takes about 48 hours to get the Australian visa. Could be the same for the New Zealand visa I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

I spent 8 weeks in Oz and 6 in NZ, if I was to go back and work in 1 for a years I would absolutely definitly pick NZ. I loved it. Loved Oz too but just preferred NZ. I'd love to head back and live in Wellington or Christchurch for a while.
    So much to do in New Zealand. Queenstown on its own is a super place. You can do every adrenaline activity there. In winter you can ski too. Just so much to do in NZ. I'll defo be heading back :)

Advertisement