Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH gone to the dogs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Bring back Monty - the one and only!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

is it ok , for a mod to tell a "user" to "piss off" --

and not even appologise --- unbelievable -- maybe Ruu is right i should report stuff , but snitching is not in my nature -- pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

tuxy wrote:
    Bring back Monty - the one and only!
    He's still an AH mod.

Anyway, thebaz, what should AH be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He didn't directly tell you to piss off, it was more of a question/suggestion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

He did not tell you to piss off, it was a suggestion - one which you don't have to take.

Didn't you tell me before that you were leaving AH and never coming back?

Feedback goes in Feedback. Odd, eh? Let that one go. The thread stays here.

Now, back to the topic at hand:
    Nostalgia aside: AH was full of drivel. AH is full of drivel. AH will continue to be full of drivel as long as it remains a place for laid-back, open discussion similar to pub chat.
    I agree with you - it's full of crap. We are not over-zealous - quite the opposite. The fact that we allow so much crap to be posted should be some evidence. How about you provide some evidence of over-zealous moderation - is that a complaint? or is it the general chatter in AH? or both? Make your point clearer.

As for the content: it's mostly uninspiring, repetitive crap - inspired by another thread, or it's a thread from some knee-jerk jerk that saw something on Sky News and ZOMG!!1!!JUST HAS TO SHARE IT AND EXPLAIN WHAT IS SO WRONG WITH THE ENTIRE WORLD... much like your threads, if I recall. You didn't like that being pointed out to you then. Bit hypocritical, eh?

Would you like to provide positive suggestions?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

seamus wrote:
    Here's a suggestion:

Instead of bitching and whining, why don't you make a suggestion as to how things could be improved or piss off?

Agreed. Or try being more original yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

thebaz wrote:
    i don't like reporting stuff, i think it was more anarchaic a year ago and better run , and also more fun , that was the appeal
    The past is another country, they do things differently there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

He's right you know.. afterhours used to be alot better.

Bring back Monty + some of the old users.
    Joined March '07, know to fear Monty.
    New account?

• Advertisement

I miss the old thebaz. He had less braincells and could tolerate the content and didn't whine, and could leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Rabies wrote:
    Joined March '07, know to fear Monty.
    New account?

LOL i saw that too.

Shhhh. Turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

In the six years I've been on boards people have been bitching and moaning about after hours in one way or another. Terry and his fellow mods have one of the most difficult forums to mod imho given the amount of posts and often controversial topics discussed there.

So while on a day to day basis I wonder about the sanity of half the posters there..its always been so..and I wouldn't change it one bit.

All your base belong to us, I'm wairing a tinfoil hat..interweb crazes come and go...but after hours remains...

3.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

thebaz wrote:
    great example of good modding -- if i respond , i get banned -- if someone said that to me in person ......
    Who said anything about banning. I basically said that if you don't like the place, you know where the door is. I'm not going to force you out of it, I'm just showing you the obvious choice.

I'm not a mod here, I'm just another user. No, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I thought AH went to the cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

No, that's here.

Malcontents should take a look at AH from the beginning-when some would have you believe Boards was experiencing something of a golden age. If you think its bad now...

Why do all n00bs have to abuse exclamation marks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

No. The cats come to AH.

ot:
    AH is a playground. Many of the threads are low brow, but it is up the main user base to bring it up a level.
    Boards is so big now that nearly all threads could have a home some where else, just ask biko.
    Threads get moved, people moan about over modding.
    Abuse isn't tolerated, posters get a holiday, people moan about the nazi mods.

Sometimes an episode of Eastenders is more fun.

edit:typo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

It's downfall was clearly the moving of the dublin threads and the seperation of the cool videos etc. threads.

I think the cool vids thing came about as a result of the ever increasing popularity of youtube et al. It got to the stage where every second thread in AH was about something someone had found on youtube.

As for the Dublin threads, there's one about smelly Blackrock there at the moment. It was left untouched because, well, people from Blackrock are untouchable, in the Indian sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

seamus wrote:
    I basically said that if you don't like the place, you know where the door is. .

no , you used the words "piss off " , if someone told me to "piss off" in person , they mightn't like my reaction -- so maybe be a little more carefull with your choice of word

As regards my general post , the stuff on over zealous modding seams to have hit a nerve -- i stand by it , i know theres good mods out there , but some do go on a bit of a power trip -- i think it was more fun , when it was a little more anarchaic -- the constant moving of threads , pisses me off

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Terry wrote:

As for the Dublin threads, there's one about smelly Blackrock there at the moment. It was left untouched because, well, people from Blackrock are untouchable, in the Indian sense.

smelly too ;)

thebaz wrote:
    no , you used the words "piss off " , if someone told me to "piss off" in person , they mightn't like my reaction -- so maybe be a little more carefull with your choice of word

Oh Please! Look around you its an internet forum! Embarassing
    thebaz wrote:
    the constant moving of threads , pisses me off

You
    Don't
    Have
    To
    Read
    It

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

thebaz wrote:
    It's really easy to be a tough man when you're online, isn't it? You've pretty much just shown yourself up as an idiot.
    I did indeed use the words, "Piss off". As said, this was a suggestion, not a threat.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

thebaz wrote:
    ... the stuff on over zealous modding seams to have hit a nerve -- i stand by it , i know theres good mods out there , but some do go on a bit of a power trip ...
    Examples. Put up or shut up.

And yes, I accept that if I said the words "shut up" while physically in your presence you'd like beat me up or something, but hey - deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

thebaz wrote:
    About a year ago i liked AH , some rubbish , but some good stuff posted , as well as a few laughs - now its all gone "Dirty Sanchez" -- toilet humour -- farting and **** innuendo -- the originality is gone -- along with an increase of trolling, all heavily policed by over zealous mods -- just my thoughts

Well, let's have a random look at 2003. Classy threads such as:

Do you help beggars
    does your piss smell of sugar puffs after eating them
    all women are tarts
    Roy Orbison wrapped in cling film
    What will they put in a toilet next?
    Do you like to smell your own fart.

It was hardly a golden age, now was it?

However, yes, AH is going through a little phase at the moment.
    thebaz wrote:

Surely you've been around the internet long enough to know what an idiot that makes you sound..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

BuffyBot wrote:
    Well, let's have a random look at 2003. Classy threads such as:

Do you help beggars
    does your piss smell of sugar puffs after eating them
    all women are tarts
    Roy Orbison wrapped in cling film
    What will they put in a toilet next?
    Do you like to smell your own fart.

It was hardly a golden age, now was it?

However, yes, AH is going through a little phase at the moment.

Lol!! QFT.

Those truly were the good old days, after hours was a far far different place ...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

thebaz wrote:
    About a year ago i liked AH , some rubbish , but some good stuff posted , as well as a few laughs - now its all gone "Dirty Sanchez" -- toilet humour -- farting and **** innuendo -- the originality is gone -- along with an increase of trolling, all heavily policed by over zealous mods -- just my thoughts
    Afterhours is a mixed bag, sometimes one thread will inspire the creation of another along the same lines... and so on, until it seems like there's nothing but this kind of thread going on.
    So it's bodily functions month on afterhours right now... people get bored, topics will shift... there'll be a few interesting threads out of a lot of randomness.

And lol @ "the originality is gone"... if you watch afterhours for long enough you'll see the same topics being recycled and rehashed over and over again... the originality has been gone for a very long time. (waits for the next "is it ok to pee in the shower?" thread)

In the long term I don't think AH has changed that much.

Don't want threads moved to the right fora? If they're posted in the right forum, or phrased better we wouldn't have to move stuff. We'd get to sit around scratching our (own) arses and wouldn't feel like telling users to piss off (Thankfully, we never do. We're too nice.)
    What is "anarchaic"? Maybe you should piss off and get a dictionary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

thebaz wrote:

Jeez Baz, I didn't have you down as a Fight the Powa merchant, or a keyboard warrior. I have images now of poor Seamus found unconcious in an alley, all bruised with imprints like Canon & Sigma on his flesh from where you bludgeoned him with your camera!

Just goes to show how wrong you can be about a stranger on t'internet.

AH isn't great, but it's the staple diet of the majority of users of Boards and you don't have to read it. In much the same way as you don't have to read TCN or Thunderdome.

Maybe you could head out and take a cat photo and post it up to kick this thread off?

Advertisement