Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whose antenna is that?

Options
  • 28-08-2007 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hallo, I just moved to my new house in Booterstown (dublin 4),

I found on the roof of my house a small panel antenna from Alvarion, (rectangular with one edge cut and put so that the cut edge is pointing at the bottom)

from the antenna starts a black cable going all the way to inside, where it ends in a rj-45 (Ethernet) connector.

I tried to plug the connector in my laptop but the access point (which is surely on the roof with the antenna) must be switched off (is probably expecting to be powered via Power over Ethernet POE).

Having found the antenna is for me good news because this means that my house has internet wifi converage and I will be able to sign a contract with the provider. without having to wait looong time for activation.

But I don't know who to call about that, which wifi providers serve my zone?
    got any idea on how can I sort out whose antenna is there?

how can I find which wifi providers serve my zone? and which use Alvarion Antennas?

thank you,
    Giulio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sounds just like an Irish Broadband Breeze aerial. You will need to call them and get a modem and an account before you will be able to recieve anything through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

It could be Ice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Its probably Irish Broadband.
    Have you got a black or white box at the end of the Ethernet cable?
    Looks like it takes a powerlead in one end, and it has 3 led's on it?

If you have that, then its probably just a process of giving them a call, letting them figure out who the previous account holder was, and moving it to your name.

They might have to send someone out to test it if it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Skytel use the same dishes down here in Wexford. Don't think that they do any business outside of the south east though.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Sounds like Irish Broadband alright give them a call on 1890 56 44 56 and they will tell you if it is theirs, if yes and you have their little black modem(black box with 2 ethernet ports and one power lead socket on it and 3 L.E.D's, this black box is actually also a P.O.E adapter which powers the antenna) + a crossover they will be able to set it up over the phone sometimes. Otherwise they will send an engineer out usually quite quickly lately 1-3 days after you call them.

If not IBB try Ice on 1890 444 111 they are the only other provider to use Alvarion that I an aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

you are missing the modem...

Giulio, you said the antenna was rectangular with a cut edge. Does the antenna look like its off set, like a diamond with the flat edge at the bottom, it so its Ice. That is a 5.8G subscriber unit.

If the antenna is rectangular and not tilted too look like a Diamond, then it is one of Irish Broadbands 3.5G subscriber units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

IBB have a few 5.x sectors knocking around too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

fastcom use them but their mostly in sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dongiulio

hello,

unfortunately I don't have the router inside... the black cable just ends in the rj45 plug.

the antenna looks like what you described as a 5.8G subscriber unit.

I will try to call ICE to see if the know my address... I called digiweb and they don't know it.

• Advertisement

Giulio, you said the antenna was rectangular with a cut edge. Does the antenna look like its off set, like a diamond with the flat edge at the bottom, it so its Ice. That is a 5.8G subscriber unit.

IBB also use these units only they operate them at 5.4G mostly, and sometimes 5.8G, IBB only usethe 3.5G units in towns like Newbridge and Navan

hello,

unfortunately I don't have the router inside... the black cable just ends in the rj45 plug.

the antenna looks like what you described as a 5.8G subscriber unit.

I will try to call ICE to see if the know my address... I already called digiweb and they don't know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Bluefoam wrote:
    you are missing the modem...

the panel antenna is the "modem" of sorts...it's a router board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

IBB sometimes just take the Power-Over-Ethernet adaptor and leave the box on the roof , seen it a few times. Some of them are 48v btw.

bushy... wrote:
    IBB sometimes just take the Power-Over-Ethernet adaptor and leave the box on the roof , seen it a few times. Some of them are 48v btw.

I find that hard to believe, the engineers that took mine away said they must record the serial No. of the radio (printed on the back of it) on their paperwork for correlation with the serial recorded at the time of installation. This is to ensure they actually remove it and not do as you said. Those Alvarion radio's are also expensive at over 500 yoyo's a pop.

I find that hard to believe, the engineers that took mine away said they must record the serial No. of the radio (printed on the back of it) on their paperwork for correlation with the serial recorded at the time of installation. This is to ensure they actually remove it and not do as you said. Those Alvarion radio's are also expensive at over 500 yoyo's a pop.

Ah yes but when you buy $2M worth of them at a time you get a discount of 40%-50% ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You could always ask your landlord for the mobile no of the last tenant and give him/her a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Ah yes but when you buy $2M worth of them at a time you get a discount of 40%-50% ;)
    It's One of the Most expensive networks that has been rolled out!
    If your can see the back of the antenna clearly, you just need to take the MAC address, call them, make sure it's powered up, and they will be able to set yah up with an account, + it means they don't need to send and installer out too, which will saves you time and money.

Also if your can see the back of it clearly, find out if it's a Alvarion Breeze VL, 5.4 or 5.8.
    When your calling, ask for Installs dept, don't go to Sales! asked them to get the Account ID for that Radio with the details you've got, then talk to Sales about moving over a connection.

P.S don't climb onto the roof!

can't get the info without climbing the roof.

Anyway I've read the thread with many people complaining about ICE's service, and decided to contact digiweb of which I got much better impressions.

Sorry for ICE, good service and taking care of customers pays.

thanks for your help, I'm waiting digiweb to call me for setting an appointment for installation.

Giulio

Advertisement