Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

best car for newbie?

Options
  • 28-08-2007 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi people,
    basically im in search for the best newbie car for modifying. ive been reading a good few mags for the past year so im catching on. i was thinking of the following: (in preffered order)

-integra type r
    -rx7
    -citroen saxo
    -pug 206

ill be spending about 10k on buying the car. ill be doing alot of upgrades to it over strecth of time and changing ALOT of stuff.

i got a few other questions too.
    -would it be smart to buy a damaged car as for the exterior as i will be replacing it?
    -would it be hard to get sponsored?
    -are their any big tuning companies in ireland?
    -i allways wanted to know this, which is better supercharger or turbocharger?

just a few questions but im sure ill have more in the future.

thanks,
    ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

For a new driver it should go like this:

integra type r - Forget it (due to high insurance)
    rx7 - Forget It (due to high insurance)
    citroen saxo - Plenty of mods available: Small engine, not much power.
    pug 206 - Again as above

check icetronix.com always got for mods(more for Jap cars though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 benh07

fortunately it will be inder my fathers insurance:) i hope to show the car too if its good enough so insurance shouldnt be that bad of an issue

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ok now speaking as an old fart a while out of the modding brigade.....
    -integra type r
    Expensive to get more out of the existing engine. Loads of dosh for small returns unless you go the forced induction route.
    -rx7
    Again expensive.
    -citroen saxo
    -pug 206
    As starter cars I'd go for either of these with the saxo maybe the better route. You'll spend less money and see bigger gains.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

If I where you I would get a Citroen Saxo VTS as you can pick they up pretty cheap nowadays..and they have plenty of power :D It was also my first car that I started with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

hi people,
    basically im in search for the best newbie car for modifying. ive been reading a good few mags for the past year so im catching on. i was thinking of the following: (in preffered order)

-integra type r
    -rx7
    -citroen saxo
    -pug 206

ill be spending about 10k on buying the car. ill be doing alot of upgrades to it over strecth of time and changing ALOT of stuff.

-would it be smart to buy a damaged car as for the exterior as i will be replacing it?

thanks,
    ben

Forget the last two, mickey mouse junk, and of the first two I'd take the ITR (speaking from experience here) as the RX7 will need an engine re-build after 60K miles or so, plus they're prone to engine flooding if you start/stop them after a short period too often. Basically a s**t load more maintenance required than an ITR any day!!

10K will go along way to get you a beast of an ITR with some mods done already, it's engine is highly tuned as standard!!

www.tuningfactory.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

It's one of those quid pro quo (that's way off, whatever it's called) things.
    The supercharger runs off the engine, so the engine loses a wee bit of power to power it. However you've no turbo lag because it doesn't have to wind up as much.
    Whereas the turbo runs relatively independent from the engine, but you'll experience some lag as it spins up (blow off valves are a reasonably good investment).

Apologies if that's a mile off, i'm trying to recall my car days. Plus i just really wanted to post in this forum, haven't done it yet. Go me!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 madbaz

Im just starting out now aswell... Im thinkin of gettin a 1.4 Pug 306 and just doing up the body work , sound...etc. but not the engine...

then when my insurance gets a bit cheaper i was thinkin of moving the modifications onto a 1.9 D-Turbo?? what do you think? Should i do this?

Or will a 1.9 Dturbo be cheap insurance to start off with anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 just yappin

hi people,

-integra type r
    -rx7
    -citroen saxo
    -pug 206

thanks,
    ben
    ok first of all. supercharged is good for accelerration> and turbo charged is good for top speed!!
    there good cars u picked! stay away from french cars!! think
    integra type r
    toyota glanza
    rx7 is good but for a newbie it can b exspensive with tax etc.
    if its hard to get a integra dont b afraid to go for a civic!!
    dont go for damaged cars! eventhough u r changing the exteriour it mite not hav benn fixed properly underneath!! ur safer staying away from them!!
    for 10k u can get a decent machine 4 a first car!!
    sponcers r not too hard to get1 start with a local name then u can biuld up and go 4 a natioonal sponser!!
    and ireland hav some of the best tuning companies!!
    try autobahn. there one of the bigggest!!
    so good luck!! any more questions dont b afraid to ask!!
    hope i was some help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 just yappin

madbaz wrote:
    Im just starting out now aswell... Im thinkin of gettin a 1.4 Pug 306 and just doing up the body work , sound...etc. but not the engine...

then when my insurance gets a bit cheaper i was thinkin of moving the modifications onto a 1.9 D-Turbo?? what do you think? Should i do this?

Or will a 1.9 Dturbo be cheap insurance to start off with anyway?
    hi a 1.9 d turbo is cheap once u go past 20!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Madbaz, what age are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 madbaz

goin on 17.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

And 10k to spend on a car already ? Must have been some summer job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stephenpl

Are you new to driving? If so....

I'd say get something small for your first year.

Get used to the roads and driving before even thinking about going near something like an ITR or RX7, you'll kill yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

good advice, don't run if you can't yet walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Deception

Bigtime ... You go out there in anything above 120bhp and you will make a mistake and its game over :(

Im a major petrolhead but i bought a Skoda Octavia 1.4 for my 1st car ... only 75ish bhp but nice and torquey ;) And i will never regret it

1100euros only for insurance and 40mpg ... would have prolly bought a 2 door nissan Almera 95-99 model but i got the Skoda at a steal so .

Advertisement