Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock and AVG Free

Options
  • 28-08-2007 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

Anyone having a problem with the full retail version of Bioshock and AVG Free anti-virus? Today my copy of AVG found a virus Obfustat.jxr in Bioshock.exe - it sounds like a false positive. I haven't managed to successfully reinstall Bioshock yet, even with AVG unloaded - the Bioshock auto patcher keeps reporting a corrupted patch file? Driving me up the walls :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Haven't had any problems myself, kind of sounds like you've picked up a virus from elsewhere...
    maybe try updating avg and running a full system scan before trying to install Bioshock

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Have a look in your virus vault. Maybe you can restore an incorrectly flagged file it may have moved. I had similar problems with Dark Messiah but ended up installing it fresh from Steam.

I've only installed the Bioshock demo (to see how it performs on my creaky ond PC) and I've experienced no problems.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, i cant play it now for some reason, even though i didnt do a virus check. It keeps trying to go to the virus vault, and it wont let me start. Even after restoring the file. And this is only happening since the update today.

edit....it seems like its a common error now.
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9211

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Spot on Kiith with that link...I'm going to try disabling the Heuristic Analysis feature see if that helps.

Let us know if that works. I wont have a chance to try it tonight.

• Advertisement

Never mind. I tried it quickly there, and it seems to be working. The Heuristic Analysis is actually called Resident Shield on AVG, so disabling it should fix it for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I threw in the towel and uninstalled AVG, I have Avast! installed now and will see how that goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

there was an update on avg that when downloaded fixed this

heggie wrote:
    there was an update on avg that when downloaded fixed this
    I'm running on the latest definitions and it just detected a virus in bioshock.exe this minute:mad:
    might move over to avast as well, the automatic update in avg doesn't work very well with Vista...

Ya, me too. Everything is fully updated, but it still picked up the virus. So i'll keep that Resident Shield thing turned off for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

That's the 2nd time AVG has picked up a false positive with bioshock. Once in the demo with some installshield files and now this. This is all over the OcUk forums and 2K's site. Incidentally I have it on Steam and not a sausage. Scanned my bioshock folder just now with AVG and no virus whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Man this is pissing me off, the patching is consistently freezing on me and whenever it got through i got the corrupted patch file thing. When you switch off the resident shield does that prevent the patching **** up too? Its incredibly annoying having to wait through the time it takes for installation to have the patching either freeze or complete but tell me it cant use it making me have to try to bloody install the thing again.

I'll try the resident shield thing tomorrow as i'm sick to death of this. Almost wishing i'd picked up a 360 for this now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Does it only happen when you try to run the game or steam? If so, just shut down the virus scanner altogether. I do that myself they just use up system resources needed by the game and have a really bad impact on performance if they are constantly checking files that are being used by the game. A few hours of not running the scanner won't hurt your machine while you are only playing a game.

Does it only happen when you try to run the game or steam? If so, just shut down the virus scanner altogether. I do that myself they just use up system resources needed by the game and have a really bad impact on performance if they are constantly checking files that are being used by the game. A few hours of not running the scanner won't hurt your machine while you are only playing a game.
    It happens if you have a shortcut on your desktop as well and don't even attempt to launch the game... pretty damn annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

6d0t7uw.gif

Advertisement