Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista & netgear & ripwave

Options
  • 28-08-2007 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I am trying to get a router connected without any success. I am using ripwave to connect to the internet, no problem with that. However when I connect a router, netgear wgr615v7 it wont work. I can connect to the router but it cant connect to the internet. It keeps telling me ripwave has a static ip. I contacted IBB and they say it is dynamic ip. The router gives me a a local ip 192.etc but the ip it gets from the ripwave modem is 0.0.0.0 Also i am running Vista which required an update of the installation software, but still no joy.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

You need to plug the Ripwave into your WAN/Internet port on the Netgear.
    Set your Internet/WAN to Dynamic/DHCP.

Make sure you turn your Ripwave on about 20 seconds before powering up the Netgear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried what you suggested and it still doesnt work. also i am running vista, i dont suppose that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Make sure you turn your Ripwave on about 20 seconds before powering up the Netgear.
    That solved the problem for me as well when i was having problems with netgear and ripwave gere in the office.

Vista won't make any difference as the issue is with the router talking to your ripwave modem. 0.0.0.0 just means that it isn't getting an ip from ibb which is most likely caused by it not getting a signal (rather than ibb having a fault).

The installation software is just a monitoring tool and not actually drivers or anything.

Be sure that your modem has a signal from IBB (which is why the previous poster suggested waiting 20seconds) before plugging in the router.

I waited until the ripwave said connected and then waited a few seconds more, but still no joy.

You sure you have your router setup to receive an ip address dynamically?

What you could try is getting your ip info (ie plug in your ibb modem into your pc, check the details etc) and entering them into the router. This may temporarily solve the problem (i'd be surprised tho) until your ip is dynamically changed.

• Advertisement

It is set for dhcp

Your router itself will have a dhcp server on it so that different devices can connect to your router and get ip's automatically as well, just be sure you ain't confusing them. I'm not saying you are, just making sure.

It should say under IP address: Get dynamically from isp (or similar). Its the default setting however so i imagine it is indeed setup.

When you plug in the network cable into the internet port on your router, does it turn orange? (on my netgear router the orange light indicates a maximum speed of 10mb/s and green indicates 100mb/s). If so the two are "talking" so you can rule that out (be sure to plug it into the "internet" port and not a regular lan port).

Other than that i don't know what else to try. Perhaps ring IBB and confirm that the two are compatible though i couldn't see why not.

I swapped router with the one at home. The netgear now works fine at home(standard phone line dsl) and the old home router wont work with ripwave. Therefore it must be something to do with the ripwave settings. Both routers accept ethernet inputs so it should be the same regardless of the way of getting dsl, ripwave or wired. rang IBB, no help.

There may be some setting somewhere on the router that needs changing but i can't think what it might be.
    I fiddled a bit with the netgear router to get Ripwave working here in work (testing it for employees) but i don't recall making any major changes.

I'm sorry but there's nothing else i can currently think of, if i have a lightbulb moment i'll let you know. Best of luck.

Thanks for the replies. I am stumped. I have installed a good few routers and networks, but never come across this. I have ordered dsl, but for my own sake i would still like to solve the problem. the settings are as you guys have suggested but still no joy. Ripwave works fine all the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement