Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which fuel rule?

Options
  • 28-08-2007 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Ok people which fuel powers your vehicle.For years petrol was king but I feel diesel power has overtaken it.Also have you been converted to diesel/petrol and not to go back to the other?if so why?

What does your motor run on? 55 votes

Petrol
    0% 0 votes
    Diesel
    100% 55 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Diesel and staying with it more economical to run the car with the mileage I do, plus as much power as your stanard petrol with turbo engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have on of each. I prefer my car (petrol) to the van but for obvious comfort reasons. For feul economy obviously the van is the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

i like the power in my 2.2TD and to fill the tank costs 62euro and does me about 13days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I would prefer a diesel to my petrol car for fuel economy and power, however in Ireland with the expense of Irish trade tarrifs on EU sourced cars and our barbarian road tax regime it's not economically viable for me to get one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

I've got a 2.0l petrol engine in my bus, because it was a couple of grand cheaper than the 2.4l diesel to buy and cheaper to tax and maintain. It's my car, so they're costs I have to cover. Fuel is obviously dearer. I get 31mpg, Vs the 50mpg the diesel will get, but I can expense most of it to the job, so it's someone else's problem ;););)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

so no-one here using biofuel or lpg?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I've a diesel and couldn't go back to petrol. €40 does me 2 weeks and I drive every day. Averaging 49mpg at the moment("warm" weather helping) but that can rise above 50mpg on long journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

love me ould petrol car, cant afford to change to a newer one of either at the minute, but Im up in the air about ehich to choose next. Ive driven the brothers 1.4 D4d and its very impressive for a 1.4:eek: and very good mpg or l/100km or what ever they are measuring it in these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wanted to get my car with the tasty 2.2 iCTDI engine but its not available in our wonderful little country, only everywhere else in europe :(

Still though, the 1.8 petrol is fun and quite economical (more so than my old 1.6).

Stephen wrote:
    I wanted to get my car with the tasty 2.2 iCTDI engine but its not available in our wonderful little country, only everywhere else in europe :(

Still though, the 1.8 petrol is fun and quite economical (more so than my old 1.6).
    So was this one imported or a special order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Diesel for me, nothin like 500 miles for 50 quid (550 miles on my old 306)
    Tax is the only bitch at 520 per year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

i like the power in my 2.2TD and to fill the tank costs 62euro and does me about 13days.

i have the same car in petrol auto! 2.0. changed from diesel back to petrol
    because of the lack of mainstream production cars available in auto diesel.

i fill it every week and costs €61 approx to fill, get about 630km for a full tank.

averaging about between 30 and 35 mpg over the tank of fuel.

this is my first petrol car in a number of years, prior to this had diesels...

the avensis 2.0D4D ( latest model with new engine and 6speed box) that i had, although horribly boring, was giving me an average of 53mpg.. i was getting 820km for a full tank of fuel for about 49 euro, and the tank of fuel would last me nearly two weeks , compared to the 1 week its lasting me with the petrol car i have now.

its about time the car manufacturers would listen to the customers and make more diesel autos ... i have seen many ppl on boards looking for diesel autos, such as avensis , accord etc...

btw, when is the new model avensis due out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

fletch wrote:
    So was this one imported or a special order?

You can still see the UK plates on it in some of the pics :)

Stephen wrote:
    Oh my bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Stephen wrote:
    Beaten to it.. damn! :p

1.9 TDI for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I just prefer the way a diesel car drives, dunno why. So that is the main reason I have a diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

1.9 TDI for me.

More reliable imho and much more economical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Petrol, can't stand the way a diesel runs out of puff so quickly.

Modern diesels are very impressive, it must be said, but I still believe that the petrol engines are more refined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

stevenk wrote:
    so no-one here using biofuel or lpg?

I used to have a 306 1.4 petrol with a switch to run on LPG.For the first while it was great.Smoother than petrol, €0.70 per litre and not much diff in power/MPG.But then after a few months the car started leaking gas and then at the end it began cutting out everytime I turned it on!

Hopefully newer cars have sorted the problems out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Oh and I may as well say as the poll starter I drive a 1.9tdi and would never go back to petrol!close to 500miles on €50 of juice and 110bhp so plenty of power....couldnt be beat with a big stick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Petrol, not going to buy a diesel any time soon. Had a diesel, I miss the economy but it was horrible to drive, just like every other diesel I've driven. I think to get a nice diesel car you need to be spending a fair bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I hate the smell of diesel exhaust. Petrol all the way!

Advertisement