Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Notts. Forest Vs Leicester City

• 28-08-2007 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Anyone know more information about the Leicester City player that collapsed in the dressing room at half-time??? After the Sevilla player died today, this sounds ominous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

clive clarke

the match has been abandoned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I just heard. Can't really believe this...surely it can't have happened again. He's a Wicklow lad. No other info anywhere at the moment

Hopefully, it's not serious and the game was only abandoned in light of what happened to Antonio Puerta...I know if i was a team mate I would be in no fit state to continue after seeing a colleague collapse and having heard the terrible news about Puerta earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I just heard that the Leicester City players weren't in the mood for coming back out after he [Clive Clark] collapsed. Yeh, perhaps the Puerta incident was in the back of their minds...

...and Kieran Dyer has a broken leg???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

aye dyer broke the leg in the first few mins of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/league_cup/6963502.stm

according to sky soccer special he was concsious on the way to the hospital

• Advertisement

If it's not his heart, what could it be? Epileptic fit? ... low blood-sugar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Apperantly he needed mouth to mouth and the defibrualor was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Apperantly he needed mouth to mouth and the defibrualor was needed.

Any source for that info?

Nunu wrote:
    Any source for that info?

Nope, read it on another forum from someone who said he heard it on local radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

http://www.lcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10274~1101112,00.html

All it says on LCFC website is a "serious illness" to Foxes player

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

****ing hell, that's horrible. hope he pulls through ok.

still it's very worrying how we seem to be hearing more and more incidents of players undergoing something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

couldn't believe it when i read about this. for players who are in top shape this is scary. hope the bloke is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

jobonar wrote:
    for players who are in top shape
    Are they though, or are they pushing their bodies to such extreme limits that they are doing untold damage?

With the ever increasing financial pressure on clubs and managers, maybe certain players are feeling it aswell, and pushing their bodies to places they shouldn't be going. To get the edge on the guy who might take his place, to stay at the higher paying club, to get a move to a higher paying club.

You also have to look at performance enhancing drugs that are not yet on the banned list as a possibility.

I'm not saying this particular player, or any particular player, was using these drugs, but still, it's a possibility.

Leicester boss Martin Allen has paid tribute to the club's medical staff for their treatment of defender Clive Clarke, who collapsed on Tuesday.

Clarke, 27, is thought to have suffered two heart failures at half-time in the Carling Cup match at Nottingham Forest.

He was treated with a defibrillator in the dressing room and spent the evening in a "stable" condition in hospital.

"Our medics were outstanding," said Allen. "Clive is sitting up exhausted, but very grateful to them."

Interview: Clive Clarke's agent Gary Mellor

Clarke's agent Gary Mellor told BBC Radio Stoke he did not know when the left-back would be released from Nottingham's Queens Medical Centre.

"Clive is sitting up and talking and he is going to have more tests at the hospital on Wednesday afternoon," said Mellor.

"They won't give us any idea as to when he will be released. They don't want to tell us anymore until they know exactly what happened.

"It appears Clive's heart stopped twice and mouth-to-mouth didn't work so the paramedics had to use a defibrillator.

"His family are very upset, especially after what happened with the Sevilla player Antonio Puerta dying recently. We just hope he's going to be OK."

The game was abandoned at half-time after Clarke's sudden collapse, with Forest leading 1-0 through Junior Agogo's header.

Allen said Clarke, on loan at the club from Sunderland, would have to undergo more tests to find out exactly what caused his illness.

"We do not know how it happened or why it happened," he added. "It would be wrong at this moment to enter into any more details until further tests have been carried out.

"But Dave Rennie and Damien Doyle were brilliant at coping with what was a traumatic and difficult situation.

"We are lucky both members of staff were on hand at such a difficult and testing time."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/league_cup/6968099.stm

He's extremely lucky it happened were it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kevster wrote:
    Anyone know more information about the Leicester City player that collapsed in the dressing room at half-time??? After the Sevilla player died today, this sounds ominous.
    He's actually an Irish international. Played in those games against Jamaica and Nigeria I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

hopefully Clive will get well soon, hearing about his dressing collapse last night just hours after the tragic death of Sevilla's Antonio Puerta only made me fear the worse for him. fingers crossed he has no permanent condition and can hopefully get back playing football someday soon

DesF wrote:
    Are they though, or are they pushing their bodies to such extreme limits that they are doing untold damage?

With the ever increasing financial pressure on clubs and managers, maybe certain players are feeling it aswell, and pushing their bodies to places they shouldn't be going. To get the edge on the guy who might take his place, to stay at the higher paying club, to get a move to a higher paying club.

That's exactly what I am thinking too DesF. I mean, these guys get a lot of money but they are pushed (or push themselves) to their physical limits. That Spaniard apparently had collapsed twice in the past year before that Sunday's game. They ran tests on him but nothing showed. Why didn't they just suspect that he had a genetically weak heart; and that all of the hard training was literally killing him???

That's what this chap [Clive] should realise; that he might just be born with a genetically weak heart and is risking his life by being a professional footballer in the modern climate.

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Kevster wrote:
    That's what this chap [Clive] should realise; that he might just be born with a genetically weak heart and is risking his life by being a professional footballer in the modern climate.

Kevin.

Just to add to your point on the modern climate.. Seville was recorded as been one of the hottest places in Europe last Saturday. I'm sure that didn't help the poor fella either.
    Its a total shock. Its good to hear that the proper proceedures and staff were at hand last night for Clive Clark. Well done to all and a speedy recovery to Clive.

hehe, I was using the word 'climate' loosely. What I really meant was 'in modern times'. I say this because - as we have already mentioned - footballers are put under pressure to be very fit these days. Of course, some managers don't demand extreme fitness but I'm sure there are some that do. I think Sevilla have a new manager for this season, do they? Is Michael Laudrup or something?

Edit: No wait, it's Juande Ramos of course. Laudrup is the manager of Getafe, the team Sevilla played last Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Leicster sacked their manager today. Bit of a strange one. Hard to think what the difference was between now and 2 days ago. The game last night could hardly have made a difference seeing as it was abandoned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement