Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arts!!

• 28-08-2007 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

hi everyone...jsut starting ucd next week...very excireh!!
    how many subjects can i choose for arts?? i want to do italian, spanish, english, history or politics, and psych. is this at all possible?

the way i see it, italian and eng can be 20 credits each, hist/pol 10, psych 5 and spanish 5. is this right, or have i gotten it arseways?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

ok so i can do 4 subjects is that all? 2x20 credits and 2x10 credits?? i'm finding this so confusing...ah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

When I was in first year, you could do 5 if you wanted, but that was 2 years ago, so don't know if it has changed. You should be able to do 2x20, 1x10 and 2x5 if that makes sense to you, however judging by all the subjects you're looking to do, there will probably be 1 or 2 timetable clashes, so you probably won't get everything you want. Which two do you want to major in? I personally recommend English as a major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

When I was in first year, you could do 5 if you wanted, but that was 2 years ago, so don't know if it has changed. You should be able to do 2x20, 1x10 and 2x5 if that makes sense to you, however judging by all the subjects you're looking to do, there will probably be 1 or 2 timetable clashes, so you probably won't get everything you want. Which two do you want to major in? I personally recommend English as a major.

You can still do that although the 2X5 are electives and are there for credit purposes. One cannot continue doing them as subjects in 2nd year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

politics usually clashes with English, not sure about the other subjects, but I do know that history and English are compatible, my friend does both as a joint major in 3rd year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

My god, I think I would have had a nervous breakdown doing that many subjects in first year. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

ashyle wrote:

the way i see it, italian and eng can be 20 credits each, hist/pol 10, psych 5 and spanish 5. is this right, or have i gotten it arseways?
    you're spot on!

simply in 1st year, your options are

20 + 20 + 20
    or 20 + 20 + 10 + 10
    or 20 + 20 + 10 + 5 + 5

as somebody else said, if you only take 5 credits in one subject you can't carry that subject into 2nd and 3rd year so keep that in mind

you're spot on!

20 + 20 + 20
    or 20 + 20 + 10 + 10
    or 20 + 20 + 10 + 5 + 5

as somebody else said, if you only take 5 credits in one subject you can't carry that subject into 2nd and 3rd year so keep that in mind
    aw thanks mate great help!!

i wanna do a lot of subjects i am a nerd after all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Beware

the more subjects you pick and chose the more hours you have. My mate did IT, Italian, Politics and History under the module system and ended up with over 25 hours a week including tutorials.

Needless to say she dropped out by October.

G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm doing 4 subjects, have 21 hrs this semester incl. tutorials. Should be ready for it, no day is as "strenuous" as secondary school.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote:
    I'm doing 4 subjects, have 21 hrs this semester incl. tutorials. Should be ready for it, no day is as "strenuous" as secondary school.

You're very wrong about that.
    I don't want to scare anyone but the reason that Arts is light on the contact hours is because of the other work you have to do. On your own. In the library.

so i've decided on english (20) italian (15) history (15) and span. and ling. 5 each. does this make sense? can u do a 15 credit subject ? :S

I don't want to scare anyone but the reason that Arts is light on the contact hours is because of the other work you have to do. On your own. In the library.

Oh I know about that, I'm ready for that too. I've enough spaces in there to make time to go to the library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

What are you talking about? I made it through my first 2 years of arts without visiting the library more than twice and I still got good grades. Don't scare the fresher's before they've begun.
    Don't worry bout it guys, if you do all your assignments and attend most of the lectures, you won't have a problem passing your exams, there's no need to be spending an ungodly amount of hours studying, since you're first year courses won't count towards your degree anyway, you only need to pass.
    Second year requires a good bit more work as it will count towards 50% of your degree, but usually in second year you won't be doing more than 13 hours of lecture/tutorials a week and third year will also need a good bit of work, but the amount of actual lectures you have is a joke, fo example, this year, I only have 11 hours per week.

ashyle wrote:
    so i've decided on english (20) italian (15) history (15) and span. and ling. 5 each. does this make sense? can u do a 15 credit subject ? :S

I don't think you can do that. You need 2 majors, but you only have 1. I don't even know how the system let you do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mikesin

you're spot on!

20 + 20 + 20
    or 20 + 20 + 10 + 10
    or 20 + 20 + 10 + 5 + 5

These are the options from the Arts booklet:
    Three subjects with 20 credit each.
    Two subjects of 20 credits each and two subjects of 10 credits in each.
    Two subjects of 20 credits each, one subject of 10 credits and two 5-credit elective modules.
    One 20-credit subject and four 10-credit subjects
    One 20-credit subject and 3 10-credit subjects and two electives outside Arts
    One 20-credit subject, three 10-credit subjects and 10 credits as electives.
    Six 10-credit subjects – possible but not advised.

In all of that you can take your 2 electives outside Arts or use them as part of your Arts subject choice.

Simple?!

What are you talking about? I made it through my first 2 years of arts without visiting the library more than twice and I still got good grades. Don't scare the fresher's before they've begun.
    Don't worry bout it guys, if you do all your assignments and attend most of the lectures, you won't have a problem passing your exams, there's no need to be spending an ungodly amount of hours studying, since you're first year courses won't count towards your degree anyway, you only need to pass.

I'm not sure I even want to know how you do your essays without visiting the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I'm not sure I even want to know how you do your essays without visiting the library.

QFT.

It's called the internet. If you know where to look, you won't have to go near the library. The library never has what I need anyway. And before you ask, I get great marks for my essays.

I've changed my timetable slightly. Now have 15 hrs lecttures this semester, 16 hrs next one. More time for library...yay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I think it's a better idea to do fewer subjects in more depth, especially since you can only major in two anyway.
    During the first week you can go to a few lectures of every subject and decide after that, if you're still not sure.

I don't like the UCD library, my local one is much calmer and more comfortable although I do science so I don't need to look up so many books. I've only gone to the UCD one about 10 times, around the leaving cert time when my local library was full.

lizzyvera wrote:
    I don't like the UCD library, my local one is much calmer and more comfortable although I do science so I don't need to look up so many books. I've only gone to the UCD one about 10 times, around the leaving cert time when my local library was full.

Well the library is at its most packed and mental around leaving cert time since ucd students have their exams at that time (and non-ucd students really shouldn't be in the library). The library's a lot quieter at other times during the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

JSTOR and other electronic resources:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Well the library is at its most packed and mental around leaving cert time since ucd students have their exams at that time (and non-ucd students really shouldn't be in the library). The library's a lot quieter at other times during the year.

I know, but I'm still not comfortable there. That's why I don't go during the year. Some people might even study better at home. It really depends on the person.
    Again, if I needed to reference lots of books it would definitely be the best resource, but I don't.

Advertisement