Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel stupid posting this but...

Options
  • 28-08-2007 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭

I'm not a real bird kinda person, but we have a visitor and I'm not 100% sure what it is.

I thought it was a pigeon, but it doesn't coo... or make any noise at all infact :confused:

This fella landed in our garden on Sunday. There's nothing wrong with him, he can fly etc, he's very very tame and he follows the kids about while they're playing like a little puppy(not ideal if he is in fact a pigeon).The first couple of nights he flew off to a tree and embankment that's at the side of our garden when they came in for the day(no more action in the garden), but tonight he's sleeping on the back step and just won't leave. Not that I particularly want to get rid of him(unless he's a pigeon), he's not doing any harm and the kids have been warned not to touch him, but he has been attacked by a cat twice tonight and just huddled up to the sliding doors until I went out to hoosh the cat away. I don't want the kids finding him dead in the morning either.

Any clue?
    IMAGE_020.jpg

Bet you're gonna tell me it's a pigeon :o

Thanks,

Deb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

That's a collared dove. Closely related to a pigeon. Did it look like that?
    800px-Collared_dove.jpg

I think what you have is actually a pigeon, they have a large amount of physical variability in colours and shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Does he have a ring on one of his feet? Could be a lost and confused racing pigeon or some other domesticated bird as it's unusual for wild pigeons to be that tame and to hang around a house like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

No rings on his feet, that's the first thing we checked. He was standing at the door waiting to be fed thismorning, so I really think he must be someones pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't think it's a collared dove although that was my first thought. I can't see the collar and the flight feathers don't appear dark enough. It looks like a pigeon (possibly a juvenile) and he's not put off by humans either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

Yup he was a pigeon. I found a site for people who cared for pigeons and they told me how to care for him etc. He appeared to have a broken wing in the end and unfortunately died in the middle of the night :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement